cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bought a Lexor - now searching storage ideas

rlb8s
Explorer
Explorer
I traded my C on a new 2013 Please-way Lexor - sweet! Now I am trying to set it up for camping. I am searching for the best options for increasing the storage capacity. I've seen some cargo carriers that attach to the towing receiver, but I plan on doing a lot of towing (bass boat) so I'm not sure the carrier on the back is an option. Has anyone added a hitch to the front for a carrier? How about storage racks on the roof? Any and all suggestions is appreciated. Thanks.
12 RoadTrek 210 Simplicity - named E-Pod
05 GMC 3500 SRW Crew Cab LB
10 Bass Cat Puma w/ 250 Mercury ProXS

Previous RVs -
14 Livin Lite 8.6
13 Pleasure-Way Lexor TS Class B
13 Tioga Montara 25K Class C
09 Lance 915 Truck Camper
24 REPLIES 24

RnRs-RT
Explorer
Explorer
Not encouraging a fix but a weld done by a good welder should not brake. The metal will probably brake before the weld. That being said, I have seen some draw bar and receivers in some of the discount stores that look like some kindergartner did the weld job. Anyone can make a bubble gum weld but a good welder will make a good penetrating weld that should be as strong as or stronger than the base metal.
I can weld but do not consider myself a professional welder but I worked in construction around steam fitter welders and I would defiantly trust their work.

rlb8s
Explorer
Explorer
924guy wrote:
ouch.. but nothing a good welder cant fix (and reinforce.. )

I am not going to risk it. If the original weld couldn't take the stress I don't see a new weld doing any better. Thanks for the thought though.

Previous RVs -
14 Livin Lite 8.6

924guy
Explorer
Explorer
ouch.. but nothing a good welder cant fix (and reinforce.. )
Eric
92 Coachmen Class B, Dodge chassis
The War Wagon...
https://www.facebook.com/BedraggledClassBCampers

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
:E

How scary was that?
2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

rlb8s
Explorer
Explorer
Well, my external storage idea worked for a while, but didn't last. The extension failed during towing. Fortunately I was able to put the storage box in the van, remove the extensions to get me home. I don't see me pulling the boat w/ the storage box installed again.

Previous RVs -
14 Livin Lite 8.6

rlb8s
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a pic of the stowawy w/ the boat in tow -

It was easy to launch and recover the boat too. No issues. I really like the set up.

Previous RVs -
14 Livin Lite 8.6

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
This link may help with interior space saving storage solutions:

Space saving ideas
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

rlb8s
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. This is what I went with -

So far I am happy with it. However I am trying to resolve a key issue and a leaking issue. I pulled the boat to FL and back this week with no issues.

Previous RVs -
14 Livin Lite 8.6

wincrasher65
Explorer
Explorer
I love my Stowaway2. I've posted a bit on it on this forum. Use the search to find them.
2016 Winnebago Travato 59K, 2017 Allegro 32SA
Follow my blog: www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Our Facebook group is: Class B Camper Vans

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Last time I was at a boat launch, the person ahead of me drove their vehicle first into the water (instead of backing in the boat), hydrolocking their truck, and closing the ramp for hours until a tow truck could get both the boat and the truck out of the drink. Made me glad I helped the boat's owner pony up for a slip.

From my experiences with boating... RV-ing is comparatively cheap. No bottom jobs needed, Camping World is cheaper than West Marine for the same doodads, etc. However, there is definitely something about spending a night on hook in a cove that is unique.

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
We have launched our boat many, many times with our van. Our generator is in the rear and we have never gone into the water that far. You should be okay.
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

rlb8s
Explorer
Explorer
Decision made. I placed an order for a stowaway today. I went w/ the standard box, not the max, and a fixed frame since that combo provided the shortest hitch extender for towing the boat. I'll post some reviews once I tow with the set up a few times.

Previous RVs -
14 Livin Lite 8.6

rlb8s
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the Stowaway version which looks ideal. I like the look of the Max Cargo version.

Previous RVs -
14 Livin Lite 8.6

rlb8s
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the suggestions. The inline storage won't handle the towing weight so I am most likely going with this - Dual Hitch Extender. The top receiver could fit something like the Thule Transport or Rola Adventure System. I also like the idea of an open cargo carrier and then adding the storage box of my choice. Maybe a diamond plate tool box.

Good advice about being careful not to submerge the generator. A tow extension may be needed for the trailer to clear the storage box which would also help w/ keeping the generator clear of the water.

Keep the suggestions coming. Thanks.

Previous RVs -
14 Livin Lite 8.6