cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

building new campground

gasjarvi
Explorer
Explorer
My husband, son and I are thinking of building a small, no frills campground on our farm after we get out of dairying later this month. We want to cater to the RVers looking for a safe, comfortable spot to overnight. We do not want to have seasonals nor resident campers. We will start with level sights with water and electric and a dump station and a small bathhouse for $30 a night. Large pull thrus will be located in a grassy field just as you come into the park. Sites for longer stays will be set back further with trees and bushes around. The campground will be located behind our farm brewery. We are located 8 miles from the NYS Thruway in Central NY. I was wondering if I could get any feedback on this idea and some suggestions on what we could/should offer.
75 REPLIES 75

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP, First, let me say that I wish you the most success if you proceed with your project.

I would have to say that I'm in the 'camp' that would not want to drive 8 miles off the interstate just for a one night stay. Especially, if its a bare-bones park.... I don't see the point.

Our coach is insulated for good sound abatement and also....maybe my hearing is not 100%.:R We will start a trip on Saturday and I booked two 'one night' RV Parks along the way to our final destination where we will be for 7+ days.

I chose parks that were right off the interstate that were the most convenient. I do a google maps overhead search to see if we will fit. I prefer NO TREES as I don't want junk falling on the coach roof or on my slide-outs.

Our destination park is a resort.... paved roads, concrete or paver sites, beautiful landscaping, club house, golf course, swimming pool, tennis and pickle ball courts and is in a beautiful setting. It also has cable, sewer, water, etc. at each site. It's gated and has security.

Every RV park will have a following.

Good luck!
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
My wife and I would GLADLY travel 8 miles to a nice, quiet and secure place for even one night. EIGHT MILES, what's that? It's a heart beat in terms of traveling hundreds during the day. Yes, we see and, have rarely stayed at, RV parks and campground that are on the other side of a fence, by an off ramp of freeway. No thanks. Campground builders can usually purchase land that close to freeways for CHEAP! And, they also know that many folks don't want to drive ANY more distance than they have to for an over nights stay.

I have never heard of the "Harvest Host" program. I think it's great. The wife and I are so tired of "live-ins" at many, many of the RV parks and campgrounds we've visited. The Harvest Host program and, the OP's thoughts are very welcome to us, even for just a night. Heck, I'd drive to the OP's x-farm for just one night, as long as we're not put next to broken bicycles, broken cars, dead potted plants hanging all over etc. To be able to park, setup, and then just sit outside and relax without car noise, Jake brakes or, staring at a sewer dump hose 5' away from our chairs, is a welcome thought.
Scott

x2...we will travel the 8 miles for peace and quiet.

William B wrote:
I'll add another full timer's opinion. We'd travel 8 miles anytime if it's a nice setting with reasonable room in the site and for maneuvering. I get such a kick out of some of these comments, it sounds like so many of you drive constantly, 300, 400, ,500 or more miles a day everyday, only have time for a Walmart. I'm curious where are you going? We travel 10,000 or more miles every year, get itchy after staying somewhere for more than a week, and cover a lot of ground. 8 miles is nothing. Good luck with your project. Finding campgrounds is getting harder and harder all over this country.

I can speak for myself... I DW and I only get a set amount of vacation time from work.. We don't want to spend that valuable time dilly dallying down the roads... Sometimes we have to pull long days to get to where we are going.

Example.. A few weeks back we were coming home from vacation if Florida .. We left at 6:00 AM.. drove till 9PM and stopped in Doswell, VA . That was 780 miles in 15 hours with a dinner stop.. We stayed the night and was at it again at 7AM the next day..
All that so we could unpack, rest and go to work the next day.. After driving like that, I am in no mood to drive an additional 8 miles OFF the highway to stay the nigh... JUST MY OPINION...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
We live rural so 8 miles is nothing to us , we travel twice that when we
go to town .
Unless you are near a hwy making your self known will be a challenge .
I like the idea of a person taking hold and building something but it
seems like the attorneys , politicians and authorities don't always feel
that way .
However people still build things here in Tx I have noticed several small
RV parks that have sprung up around here ... Ray

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only location info I see (other than someplace in the ocean) is 8 miles from interstate. I know folks from that part of the world might not be the same, but many of us want to stay away from the interstate when traveling. And as a class, they seam more laid back when driving, so would likely be better customers for the CG. Are you close to any thru 2 lane roads?

William_B
Explorer
Explorer
I'll add another full timer's opinion. We'd travel 8 miles anytime if it's a nice setting with reasonable room in the site and for maneuvering. I get such a kick out of some of these comments, it sounds like so many of you drive constantly, 300, 400, ,500 or more miles a day everyday, only have time for a Walmart. I'm curious where are you going? We travel 10,000 or more miles every year, get itchy after staying somewhere for more than a week, and cover a lot of ground. 8 miles is nothing. Good luck with your project. Finding campgrounds is getting harder and harder all over this country.
Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog

gasjarvi
Explorer
Explorer
I only posted in the Motorhome section because that is the one I use and I really did not know where it would be best to post. Of course we would be open to any type of camper or tents. We've checked rules and regulations, and are just in the "thinking" process.

laplatarosa
Explorer
Explorer
Just my two cents,

Please make sure there is plenty of room for big rigs. I may be a lousy driver, but it really upsets me when I can not get into a site without driving across the grass/mud. Sure gravel roads will support my 44,000 lb. rig, but the grass/earth will not. A stuck Class A is not a pretty sight.

LaPlataRosa

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
As mentioned, do a detailed business plan, get feedback from someone actually building and operating parks (not random campers who have no skin in the game) and look at the regulation costs and complications.

If it was as simple as scrape out a few dirt roads with the old john deere, run some water and electric lines and call it good...every other farm in your area would have 10-20 sites up and running already.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
FIRE UP wrote:
My wife and I would GLADLY travel 8 miles to a nice, quiet and secure place for even one night. EIGHT MILES, what's that? It's a heart beat in terms of traveling hundreds during the day. Yes, we see and, have rarely stayed at, RV parks and campground that are on the other side of a fence, by an off ramp of freeway. No thanks. Campground builders can usually purchase land that close to freeways for CHEAP! And, they also know that many folks don't want to drive ANY more distance than they have to for an over nights stay.

I have never heard of the "Harvest Host" program. I think it's great. The wife and I are so tired of "live-ins" at many, many of the RV parks and campgrounds we've visited. The Harvest Host program and, the OP's thoughts are very welcome to us, even for just a night. Heck, I'd drive to the OP's x-farm for just one night, as long as we're not put next to broken bicycles, broken cars, dead potted plants hanging all over etc. To be able to park, setup, and then just sit outside and relax without car noise, Jake brakes or, staring at a sewer dump hose 5' away from our chairs, is a welcome thought.
Scott

Like Scott, we've been full timers for 11 years now. Let us know when you're ready and we'll be your first customers. 8-10 miles off the beaten path is PERFECT. Close enough for shopping if necessary yet far enough to sit and enjoy life. That said, we would prefer a stay of 4-7 days minimum, maybe longer if the weather is nice.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Grangrey4
Explorer
Explorer
You never know. Lots of us looking for just a get a way place for a few days. I found one within two hours of our home in the middle of nowhere, but on a lake. Stays pretty darn busy. Lake is the draw. I can also tell you when the kids come along with thier kids, they feel the need to stay plugged in to the internet stuff. Over time you could add more amenities. I hope it works. I would come. I may in spring. I will look for you!

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
robatthelake wrote:
You might be able to test the waters so to speak by joining Boondockers Welcome.com!
No immediate income but this is the type of location many would be attracted to !
Be careful with regards to liability. Just because you let someone stay for free doesn't absolve you of liability should something bad happen. (and eventually something bad will happen)

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's also interesting that the OP posted this in the Class A motorhomes topic. Do you only plan to allow Class A RV's into your campground? Do you plan to set yourself up as one of the elitist Class A only campgrounds? If so, another reason I will never visit despite owning a Class A.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
FIRE UP wrote:

Scott

After driving 300-400 miles, without that being my destination, I am looking for the shortest distance between 2 points. Wal-Mart, rest area, 1-2 mile campground, I really don't care. But 16 mile round trip is NOT going to work FOR ME. As always, YMMV!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
You might be able to test the waters so to speak by joining Boondockers Welcome.com!
No immediate income but this is the type of location many would be attracted to !
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD