cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
While researching these pages for my next Motor Home I saw a few threads discussing Rentals, most were Pros and Cons but very few posts from people who had purchased one.

I thought it may be a good resource and helpful to hear from these people. The good, the bad, what they liked and what they didnโ€™t. Also if they had any problems, things they changed, if they would recommend this to others or do it again.

Here is my story: I am not a novice, having owned a Class A for more than 15 years and doing the camping thing with my wife and two daughters, I can say โ€œbeen there done thatโ€ But life changes, and I sold everything so I have been away from this for several years. Starting over I lurked here for a while and got a lot of good insight then went looking.

My criteria was: A Class C within by budget, less than 30 feet so I can keep it at home, saving storage $, a rear bed, and a lot of storage space.

What fit that was Winnebago, Fleetwood and a few others, what I found mostly was Jamboree / Tioga 26Q. In the year models 2002 thru 2006. I did my home work looking at NADA and other sites to find the fair prices for the models that I was looking for.

After several months of searching the internet, Craigslist, private ads and Dealerships for a Class C that suited my budget and needs, this is what I found. Of the dozen or so I inquired about.Most were upsidedown in their payments, owing more than they were worth. All were on Ford Chassis, 7 needed tires, all had the original 7 to 10 year old tires, and they all needed repair of the awning and most needed some work inside or out and the maintenance records were sketchy, but most had low mileage. The Dealerships offerings were better but they had a profit margin to maintain so I got older models within my budget or huge up sales that didnโ€™t work for me.

My next step was looking at the rental market for sales. In my area there are 2 large companies that have rental sales, Cruise America and El Monte RV,who also sell Class A RVs.

First up was El Monte RV Their units are production RVs that are made by major manufactures, with TV antennas and hookups inside and out, Ducted A/C and heat, 2 house batteries, a rear ladder and parts are readily available from those manufactureโ€™s. I looked at their web site and it detailed their warranty and what was checked and serviced by their factory trained technicians. The unit I looked at was like new inside, the upholstery on all the seats was new as was the floor mat in the driverโ€™s area, it had a new mattress, still in plastic and a new bedspread. All of the curtains were new also. Newer (2010 mfg date) tires with 98% rubber and the mileage was ninety thousand (90,000).

Then there was Cruise America: Their units that I looked at seemed to be Spartan,no TV antenna or hookups for one,non-ducted A/C,small counter space and only one battery, no rear ladder for inspection and maintenance of roof and built just for them, they were all โ€œrefreshedโ€ their words not mine. They offered extended warranties at a huge cost. All had high mileage, one hundred and thirty thousand (130,000) or more and the price range seemed a little high. The sales staff had a take it or leave it attitude and were not very forthcoming when asked about maintenance records and service,they claim to have proprietary info in those records,It doesn't seem to be a problem for El Monte RV.

At El Monte RV I took a test ride; This Unit was a 2006 Tioga 26Q on a Chevrolet Chassis it rode
Drove and handled much better than the Fords that I had driven. It also had more leg room and was quieter. We got back and I asked about the service and maintenance on it, the salesman, Joey, handed me a 28 page single spaced document asked if I wanted some coffee or something to drink and said โ€œread this and if you have any questions I will answer themโ€.

It detailed everything that was done before and after each rental, the mileage, generator hours and hours billed. Each time it was washed and detailed inside and outside, all fluids were checked and replenished if needed, the holding tanks were washed, LP system was checked for leaks, all torque on wheel lugs were checked, brakes front and rear checked for wear and cracks, pressure in tires, all appliances, generator oil, lights inside and outside, the list goes on and on.

It also listed all oil changes,coolant change,trans service,fuel injector service and cleaning,fuel filters,air filter, new brakes, all repairs and replacements all with date, mileage and time spent in complete detail from day one to when it was pulled from the rental fleet and was refurbished. I have a complete service record on this vehicle.Also the service records on the Onan Generator,all oil changes,air filter and spark plug replacement with hours and date. I negotiated a good deal with them and am very happy with my purchase.

It came with a 1 yr. 12000 mile power train warranty and 30 day on all appliances. It also came with a 28 page maintenance record that detailed everything. Also the original sales packet from Fleetwood with the manual and serial numbers on all appliances,refrigerator, microwave,furnace, AC, water heater, etc. and the manual for the Chassis. I have had no problems with it so far.

(ON EDIT) 5 Years and close to 14000 miles.Just Scheduled Maintenance and new tires,old ones were at the 5 year mark and I wanted new Michelin LTX M/S2s.

There were a few things that it didnโ€™t have as it was a rental and the ones from private parties did have.
โ€ข Power steps, outside Stereo/CD donโ€™t need or want them.
โ€ข An Awning, this I wanted and had installed. A Swivel Seat and a new Window in The Door that I installed.
โ€ข Wheel Simulators, I like the looks so I had them installed and at the same time had Tire Man valve stem kit put on.
โ€ข Replaced the Chinese WFCO with a US Made converter/charger
โ€ข It came with mini blinds and not the day/night that most have, these are more practical and have a lot less failure.
  • It also came with Stainless Steel sinks,easier to maintain than the cheap plastic ones that come in the noncommercial units.

I am very happy with my Rig, it suites my needs and it was in my Budget range, I think I got a good deal.

So if you bought a rental please share your experience here for others to use as a resource.
Or if there are any other questions that have not been covered in these pages, just ask, there are many helpful people on this thread.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C
1,712 REPLIES 1,712

Burns813
Explorer
Explorer

The clunk is normal. No action needed. You do not need to flush the trans as it would have been done at 100K miles and is not needed again until 200K miles.

I've taken a few 350's up to 170K miles. Very few powertrain issues other than a coil pack here and there resulting in a misfire. Probably also due for ball joints by that time as well, but I'll bet they have already been done at least once. Check for a zerk on the BJ's. If present, apply a few pumps of grease. If not, consider installing zerks so you can apply grease.

Thanks! Prior owner had ball joints, new cooper tires, steering stabilizer, spark plugs, and new Monroe shocks put on when he bought it last March. He put less than 1000 miles on it and decided he wanted a toyhauler instead. A lot has been done I'm just trying to see what else it'll need before next spring.

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Burns813 wrote:
Ok I just got back from a 2000 mile trip. 2007 E350 chassis now has over 153k miles, Anyone got that beat?

The clunk is normal. No action needed. You do not need to flush the trans as it would have been done at 100K miles and is not needed again until 200K miles.

I've taken a few 350's up to 170K miles. Very few powertrain issues other than a coil pack here and there resulting in a misfire. Probably also due for ball joints by that time as well, but I'll bet they have already been done at least once. Check for a zerk on the BJ's. If present, apply a few pumps of grease. If not, consider installing zerks so you can apply grease.

Burns813
Explorer
Explorer
Ok I just got back from a 2000 mile trip. 2007 E350 chassis now has over 153k miles, Anyone got that beat?

I did add some Lucas Stop Slip tranny additive after I noticed a "clunk" between 2nd and 3rd upshift at low speeds. The Lucas didn't help so I started to worry. I then googled "torqshift clunk" and found a ton of info in forums about the issue. Turns out Ford is aware and says the 2-3 clunk as well as the R-P clunk is "normal" and requires no repair. I still don't like the sound but I feel better knowing it's "normal". Anyone else have that issue with their torqshift tranny? I may change my tranny fluid and rear diff in the spring just to be safe.

The trip back to Wyoming had high winds so I got more in the 8mpg range. I found a highway 20 route home that saved 100 miles and we still made it in the same time as we did using interstate. It was much more pleasant taking highways, seeing small towns, and not having to compete with 80mph traffic on the interstate. Western Iowa and Eastern Nebraska are beautiful during harvest.

I spent about $450 in fuel for the trip. Gas being reasonable at under $2.50/gal I can see how these rigs can be grounded pretty quick if gas were to surge back up like it did several years ago.

I was quite pleased with the overall performance of the 2008 23A 5.4. I am looking into a TV/DVD and a backup camera for the spring. Does anyone have recommendations on either? Does anyone know how the cable jacks undermounted on the dinette cabinet and side mounted to the upper bunk cabinet come into play? I was thinking of mounting an arm on the side cabinet in the upper bunk.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey bghouse,welcome back. It is good to hear about your acquisition of a Former Rental from El Monte RV.

You will be #95 in the Former Rental Club

I hope you will have fun full timing in it,please come back and tell us how everything is going when you get a some time with it,again congratulations on your new rig.
Buying A Rental Class C

bghouse
Explorer
Explorer
I just remembered I forgot to come back and post. I'm the proud owner of a 2014 Coachmen Leprechaun 21QB from El Monte RV. Picked it up on Sept 27th and have been full time since. Thanks everyone for this fantastic post and all the help!

Burns813
Explorer
Explorer
Mocoondo wrote:
The 08 was a good year. The chassis and house are always separated by one year with the chassis being one year older on paper. 55 gal fuel tank is correct. 6mpg is very low. Should see between 9 and 10.

Burns813 wrote:

I am brand new and reading as much info as possible. My rig is titled as an '08 but registered as an '07. It has the older model front end so I'm assuming chassis is '07 and house is '08?
Just to confirm its a 55gal fuel tank and a 5 speed torque shift right?

I am a GM guy but Chevy chassis is harder to find.
I had some hesitation with the higher miles and older rig and underwhelming 5.4 but this forum has eased some of my concerns. The prior owner reports about 6mpg. Does anyone on here with a 5.4 report that low? I live at 5200 feet so I understand going up steep grades can be an issue maintaining but I'm hoping for years of reliability and 9-11 mpg with conservative driving? Is that unrealistic? Anyone on here with a 5.4 over 200k miles? Im not so much concerned about performance as i am about reliability and reasonable efficiency.
I'll be taking it on about a 2k mile trip with the family to Iowa next week. Looking forward to experiencing the lifestyle. It'll be me the wife, 3 kids under 5 years and the dogs. I know the 23A might be a bit tight but thats what camping is all about! TIA.

Thanks. I just put my first 1100 miles on the 5.4. Got 10.6 and then 9.4mpg on 300+ mile fill ups. Pretty happy with that. Just filled up in Iowa with non-ethanol 87 octane so we'll see if I can do even better.

I just changed the oil. Last change was in February about 2200 miles ago. Easy change and did Motorcraft filter and oil 5w20 blend.

I have noted more and more small blemishes and imperfections since staying in it for 5 nights but so far it has been mechanically sound and I hope for thousands more of trouble free miles.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
AZtravelnurse,First Welcome to the Forum. Thanks for sharing your experience while looking for a Former Rental. From previous buyers from CA they have said that they got a new mattress when they purchased one from them. If you have some choices at the lot I would look for the best one then.

I would take Member Jbrowlands advice at This Link and see what happens,I might go so far as showing it to them and asking if their practices have changed. If not I would look elsewhere,I had no such problems with my purchase at El Monte RV,they had everything in top shape when I picked up mine.

Hopefully they will do what you want and you can join the ranks of the Former Rental Club :B

Good luck and let us know of any new developments in your search.
Buying A Rental Class C

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 08 was a good year. The chassis and house are always separated by one year with the chassis being one year older on paper. 55 gal fuel tank is correct. 6mpg is very low. Should see between 9 and 10.

Burns813 wrote:

I am brand new and reading as much info as possible. My rig is titled as an '08 but registered as an '07. It has the older model front end so I'm assuming chassis is '07 and house is '08?
I had some hesitation with the higher miles and older rig and underwhelming 5.4 but this forum has eased some of my concerns. The prior owner reports about 6mpg. Does anyone on here with a 5.4 report that low? I live at 5200 feet so I understand going up steep grades can be an issue maintaining but I'm hoping for years of reliability and 9-11 mpg with conservative driving? Is that unrealistic? Anyone on here with a 5.4 over 200k miles? Im not so much concerned about performance as i am about reliability and reasonable efficiency.
I'll be taking it on about a 2k mile trip with the family to Iowa next week. Looking forward to experiencing the lifestyle. It'll be me the wife, 3 kids under 5 years and the dogs. I know the 23A might be a bit tight but thats what camping is all about! TIA.

AZtravelnurse
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, new to this forum and ready to buy my first RV. Was reading all your post's during the summer, really helpful and thanks for starting this thread. It's just me and my pups, so I decided to head to CA to check out a 2013 23A model. The sales people are very pleasant, so not disappointed at all, however I was a bit surprised at all the little blemishes I found on the inside...I watched the refurbish video and it looks that this is done in a hurry...just hoping that doesn't apply to the mechanical part. I don't know the first thing about trucks, so this is a bit bothering. Btw the mattresses were all pretty worn out and it was suggested that I will get info where I could buy a new RV mattress...so much for throwing a new one in the deal lol. I'm kind a stuck with one thing...the one I looked at had 120,000mi...lots of choices though. Should I look at one with less mileage?? Not sure if 20,000 makes much of a difference...

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome to the Forum and the Former Rental Owners Club Burns813,you will be #94 on the list of Former Rental Owners.

To answer one of your questions,it is common to have a chassis and year model one year apart,This Link will explain it.

As for the other questions hopefully another member will be able to help you out,my Former Rental is on a Chevy Chassis.
Buying A Rental Class C

Burns813
Explorer
Explorer
New to RVing. Just purchased a 2008 Majestic 23A from a private seller. 151k miles on the 5.4 and just over 400 gen hours. Really well cared for with new tires, stabilizer, partial LED conversion, new house battery, New plugs, fuel filter and ball joints. Paid $16.5k I feel like a fair deal. Prior owner has it in the shop getting the ABS light looked at.

I waa looking at the El Monte branch in Vegas but when this one popped up locally for more than $10k cheaper I figured it was a nice starter rig.

I have a few questions:

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
kirbymurphy wrote:
Wow! 85 Pages.
What is the current opinion of rental sellers? Is one better than the rest?

The high miles do concern me, but CA provides a 12 month/12,000 miles powertrain warranty. Any good?

I'm focused on the 23U since it's just me and a pooch after my wife died. I like to go out for 2 to 3 weeks at a time but wondering if others have had one and wished they had bought bigger.

Thanks!

I have to admit I am a bit biased on the opinion of which Rental Sellers is better as stated in The OP.:B

The only post that I could find on the CA 12/12 Warranty is this one
gotsmart wrote:
Someone PM'd me about my thoughts on buying a former Cruise America rental RV.
I bought my 2005 Cruise America 28R in March 2011.
The 12-month/12,000 mile warranty is a joke. It covers about 20 parts and explicitly lists each part that is covered. .

This may be the Industry Standard,I did find on 2 occasions that El Monte RV did honor the their warranty This One and Here
I would hope that CA would come up with the same results.

I would think that if the problem fell with in the guidelines of the warranty it would be taken care of,I would read the warranty very carefully.
Buying A Rental Class C

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Itโ€™s a N621. 623RT is just a design variant. 3rd design, right swing doors.

gotsmart wrote:
Mocoondo wrote:
Be glad it is gone. The Dometic rooftop AC's with electronic thermostat controlling both heat and AC were awful. Went back to ceiling controlled Coleman units and standard analog t-stat for the furnace which is a virtually bulletproof installation.

{cut}

I'm glad I have a 28R. Coleman Mach 1, Sunbeam T-stat on the furnace, troublefree Norcold N621 (also has a N623RT label. ??)

You gave me an idea to mull over. I use a LUX WIN100 to control a 1500W space heater. Would it be possible, I ask myself, to add a digital line voltage set-back thermostat that is sized to the power requirements of the Mach 1? My surgeguard at the pedestal takes care of the needed 2 minute compressor delay during a power failure. Would the Mach 1 be unhappy about being cycled via AC power? hmmmm

kirbymurphy
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! 85 Pages.
What is the current opinion of rental sellers? Is one better than the rest?

CA sends me a list every month and the prices are always better than what I find other places. The high miles do concern me, but CA provides a 12 month/12,000 miles powertrain warranty. Any good?

I'm focused on the 23U since it's just me and a pooch after my wife died. I like to go out for 2 to 3 weeks at a time but wondering if others have had one and wished they had bought bigger.

Thanks!

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
Mocoondo wrote:
Be glad it is gone. The Dometic rooftop AC's with electronic thermostat controlling both heat and AC were awful. Went back to ceiling controlled Coleman units and standard analog t-stat for the furnace which is a virtually bulletproof installation.

{cut}

I'm glad I have a 28R. Coleman Mach 1, Sunbeam T-stat on the furnace, troublefree Norcold N621 (also has a N623RT label. ??)

You gave me an idea to mull over. I use a LUX WIN100 to control a 1500W space heater. Would it be possible, I ask myself, to add a digital line voltage set-back thermostat that is sized to the power requirements of the Mach 1? My surgeguard at the pedestal takes care of the needed 2 minute compressor delay during a power failure. Would the Mach 1 be unhappy about being cycled via AC power? hmmmm
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures