cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
While researching these pages for my next Motor Home I saw a few threads discussing Rentals, most were Pros and Cons but very few posts from people who had purchased one.

I thought it may be a good resource and helpful to hear from these people. The good, the bad, what they liked and what they didnโ€™t. Also if they had any problems, things they changed, if they would recommend this to others or do it again.

Here is my story: I am not a novice, having owned a Class A for more than 15 years and doing the camping thing with my wife and two daughters, I can say โ€œbeen there done thatโ€ But life changes, and I sold everything so I have been away from this for several years. Starting over I lurked here for a while and got a lot of good insight then went looking.

My criteria was: A Class C within by budget, less than 30 feet so I can keep it at home, saving storage $, a rear bed, and a lot of storage space.

What fit that was Winnebago, Fleetwood and a few others, what I found mostly was Jamboree / Tioga 26Q. In the year models 2002 thru 2006. I did my home work looking at NADA and other sites to find the fair prices for the models that I was looking for.

After several months of searching the internet, Craigslist, private ads and Dealerships for a Class C that suited my budget and needs, this is what I found. Of the dozen or so I inquired about.Most were upsidedown in their payments, owing more than they were worth. All were on Ford Chassis, 7 needed tires, all had the original 7 to 10 year old tires, and they all needed repair of the awning and most needed some work inside or out and the maintenance records were sketchy, but most had low mileage. The Dealerships offerings were better but they had a profit margin to maintain so I got older models within my budget or huge up sales that didnโ€™t work for me.

My next step was looking at the rental market for sales. In my area there are 2 large companies that have rental sales, Cruise America and El Monte RV,who also sell Class A RVs.

First up was El Monte RV Their units are production RVs that are made by major manufactures, with TV antennas and hookups inside and out, Ducted A/C and heat, 2 house batteries, a rear ladder and parts are readily available from those manufactureโ€™s. I looked at their web site and it detailed their warranty and what was checked and serviced by their factory trained technicians. The unit I looked at was like new inside, the upholstery on all the seats was new as was the floor mat in the driverโ€™s area, it had a new mattress, still in plastic and a new bedspread. All of the curtains were new also. Newer (2010 mfg date) tires with 98% rubber and the mileage was ninety thousand (90,000).

Then there was Cruise America: Their units that I looked at seemed to be Spartan,no TV antenna or hookups for one,non-ducted A/C,small counter space and only one battery, no rear ladder for inspection and maintenance of roof and built just for them, they were all โ€œrefreshedโ€ their words not mine. They offered extended warranties at a huge cost. All had high mileage, one hundred and thirty thousand (130,000) or more and the price range seemed a little high. The sales staff had a take it or leave it attitude and were not very forthcoming when asked about maintenance records and service,they claim to have proprietary info in those records,It doesn't seem to be a problem for El Monte RV.

At El Monte RV I took a test ride; This Unit was a 2006 Tioga 26Q on a Chevrolet Chassis it rode
Drove and handled much better than the Fords that I had driven. It also had more leg room and was quieter. We got back and I asked about the service and maintenance on it, the salesman, Joey, handed me a 28 page single spaced document asked if I wanted some coffee or something to drink and said โ€œread this and if you have any questions I will answer themโ€.

It detailed everything that was done before and after each rental, the mileage, generator hours and hours billed. Each time it was washed and detailed inside and outside, all fluids were checked and replenished if needed, the holding tanks were washed, LP system was checked for leaks, all torque on wheel lugs were checked, brakes front and rear checked for wear and cracks, pressure in tires, all appliances, generator oil, lights inside and outside, the list goes on and on.

It also listed all oil changes,coolant change,trans service,fuel injector service and cleaning,fuel filters,air filter, new brakes, all repairs and replacements all with date, mileage and time spent in complete detail from day one to when it was pulled from the rental fleet and was refurbished. I have a complete service record on this vehicle.Also the service records on the Onan Generator,all oil changes,air filter and spark plug replacement with hours and date. I negotiated a good deal with them and am very happy with my purchase.

It came with a 1 yr. 12000 mile power train warranty and 30 day on all appliances. It also came with a 28 page maintenance record that detailed everything. Also the original sales packet from Fleetwood with the manual and serial numbers on all appliances,refrigerator, microwave,furnace, AC, water heater, etc. and the manual for the Chassis. I have had no problems with it so far.

(ON EDIT) 5 Years and close to 14000 miles.Just Scheduled Maintenance and new tires,old ones were at the 5 year mark and I wanted new Michelin LTX M/S2s.

There were a few things that it didnโ€™t have as it was a rental and the ones from private parties did have.
โ€ข Power steps, outside Stereo/CD donโ€™t need or want them.
โ€ข An Awning, this I wanted and had installed. A Swivel Seat and a new Window in The Door that I installed.
โ€ข Wheel Simulators, I like the looks so I had them installed and at the same time had Tire Man valve stem kit put on.
โ€ข Replaced the Chinese WFCO with a US Made converter/charger
โ€ข It came with mini blinds and not the day/night that most have, these are more practical and have a lot less failure.
  • It also came with Stainless Steel sinks,easier to maintain than the cheap plastic ones that come in the noncommercial units.

I am very happy with my Rig, it suites my needs and it was in my Budget range, I think I got a good deal.

So if you bought a rental please share your experience here for others to use as a resource.
Or if there are any other questions that have not been covered in these pages, just ask, there are many helpful people on this thread.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C
1,712 REPLIES 1,712

texasvwnut
Explorer
Explorer
cencerrita wrote:
texasvwnut wrote:
General question about solar on these ex-CA rentals. I read some of the earlier posts on solar. On the Coach I'm in the process of purchasing, I'm being told that the solar cell is in place but the charging light will not indicate something is working on the panel. Assuming the worst, is the cell on these a generic unit I can be procured easily? My first angle will be to get CA to fix whatever the issue is prior to delivery.

Our cell always worked but the control panel unit was not working and the company that made the bits never replied to me. I know when we brought our 27G it seemed a waste of time following up as the panel was so low a wattage. I fitted 200w solar panels anyway that were moveable around the RV to the sunshine and that was more than enough for boondocking.
Suggest the easiest way forward for you is to fit a new bigger panel on the roof using existing cabling and then open up the tank control panel were the existing controller is (or was) and wire to just outside a new solar controller. Again using existing cables that go down to your battery. There was lots of sare cable length inside ours.

Thanks for the information. What type of 200w panel(s) did you go with? Did you mount them on the roof with the ability to tilt?
2016 Thor Majestic 23A
Ex Cruise America RV Rental

C__A__Lindsey
Explorer
Explorer
texasvwnut wrote:

No experience with replacement but you're lucky if you can find a 28A at one of the Sales Centers. My better half and I went back and forth between the 23A and the 28A for just the two of us and we liked the couch and the extra sleeping area. We could not find a 28A without going on the wait list so the decision was kind of made for us when the 23A was 'in stock'. I'm sure it will be plenty for our needs.

Yes, we're watching the inventory. And will just have to wait. ๐Ÿ™‚

cencerrita
Explorer II
Explorer II
texasvwnut wrote:
General question about solar on these ex-CA rentals. I read some of the earlier posts on solar. On the Coach I'm in the process of purchasing, I'm being told that the solar cell is in place but the charging light will not indicate something is working on the panel. Assuming the worst, is the cell on these a generic unit I can be procured easily? My first angle will be to get CA to fix whatever the issue is prior to delivery.

Our cell always worked but the control panel unit was not working and the company that made the bits never replied to me. I know when we brought our 27G it seemed a waste of time following up as the panel was so low a wattage. I fitted 200w solar panels anyway that were moveable around the RV to the sunshine and that was more than enough for boondocking.
Suggest the easiest way forward for you is to fit a new bigger panel on the roof using existing cabling and then open up the tank control panel were the existing controller is (or was) and wire to just outside a new solar controller. Again using existing cables that go down to your battery. There was lots of sare cable length inside ours.
www.cencerrita.comNow living in Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK. See our web site for US travels and books www.cencerrita.com

cencerrita
Explorer II
Explorer II
MtnBikeMarty wrote:
MtnBikeMarty here in AZ with an update to my 2012 27G, that I got about four years ago. Took a trip up north to cooler altitudes of AZ and had a front shock blow out, which damaged the front and outer rear tires. Luckily no one was hurt and was able to nicely pull over to the side of the interstate. Thankfully, I've always been a member of Good Sam's roadside assistance program (I've always felt safer with the coverage on vehicle I bought with 141K miles on it), a couple hours later we towed to an RV repair and Ford dealer. Diagnosis... 4 new shocks, 6 new tires (originals were date coded at 5 years), kept the best original and had it mounted to replace the 8 yr spare, and full under carriage inspection, which found a missing exhaust clamp. Unrelated to the blow out, I had a radiator starting to crack at the hose connection. Thanks to my Visa card, it drives nice again, considering I'd done little chasis work in my 4 year's 6K miles except a new battery a couple years ago, but that's typical in the AZ heat...shorter battery and tire life in the AZ heat.

While it was in the shop, I did a lot of youtube searching on E450 upgrades and discovered I wish I had upgraded the sway bars and steering control stabilizer, and maybe even added SumoSprings. I called the repair shop to see if I could upgrade the 4 shocks, too late they were done and the new tires mounted, just doing the radiator....dang it, oh well, I'll probably replace them next year with something beefier (bilsteins maybe??) than the OEM shocks they put on last week. I think I coould replace them with my neighbor buddy's help.

So, I ordered the steering control stabilizer and front SumoSprings. Next month will be rear Sumo's and both front and rear sway bars. I'll try and post pics and updates of the upgrades.

If you're on the fence of the upgrades vs. cost, watch a few youtube videos on the upgrades and everyone says that should be your first E350/E450 upgrade. If you've ever driven a class C E450 for more than an hour, you feel beat up and always blown off the road by passing semi's.

BTW, after all my research, here's what I'm going with for my E450:
Roadmaster steering stabilizer RM-RBK24-RSSC ~$325,
Sumo Springs front 1,000lbs SSF-106-47 ~$185,
Roadmaster Front sway bar RM-1139-176 ~$346,

Roadmaster Rear sway bar RM-1139-147 ~$347,
Sumo Springs Rear 2,800 lbs SSR-107-54 ~$244.

FYI, there is a smaller set of Sumo's (500 Lbs front and 1,500 lbs rear) that would probably work, but I found one review recommended those for a E350, and when we go, I always go out with a full gas tank and full fresh water tank...i.e. lots of weight.

In summary, I love my Majestic, former rental CA 27G (the 28'-6" with the aero front that they don't sell anymore), yes, I'm putting an investment in it, but planning on keeping it for awhile, and anything to improve safety while driving it a must. And even if you buy a new class C RV, you're going to want to put these steering and suspension upgrades on cause Ford doesn't do it originally. Stay tuned for updates on the upgrades.

Hi great to hear all going well and we were very pleased with our 2010 27G which we sold last year as we are not travelling to the US anymore after 4 great years.
How were your rubber vibration mounts between the chassis and the Rv body? I did notice that our were beginning to split and if we had kept her then i would have changed them (should be a simply jack up in the lcal are aand one out/one in ๐Ÿ™‚
www.cencerrita.comNow living in Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK. See our web site for US travels and books www.cencerrita.com

MtnBikeMarty
Explorer II
Explorer II
MtnBikeMarty here in AZ with an update to my 2012 27G, that I got about four years ago. Took a trip up north to cooler altitudes of AZ and had a front shock blow out, which damaged the front and outer rear tires. Luckily no one was hurt and was able to nicely pull over to the side of the interstate. Thankfully, I've always been a member of Good Sam's roadside assistance program (I've always felt safer with the coverage on vehicle I bought with 141K miles on it), a couple hours later we towed to an RV repair and Ford dealer. Diagnosis... 4 new shocks, 6 new tires (originals were date coded at 5 years), kept the best original and had it mounted to replace the 8 yr spare, and full under carriage inspection, which found a missing exhaust clamp. Unrelated to the blow out, I had a radiator starting to crack at the hose connection. Thanks to my Visa card, it drives nice again, considering I'd done little chasis work in my 4 year's 6K miles except a new battery a couple years ago, but that's typical in the AZ heat...shorter battery and tire life in the AZ heat.

While it was in the shop, I did a lot of youtube searching on E450 upgrades and discovered I wish I had upgraded the sway bars and steering control stabilizer, and maybe even added SumoSprings. I called the repair shop to see if I could upgrade the 4 shocks, too late they were done and the new tires mounted, just doing the radiator....dang it, oh well, I'll probably replace them next year with something beefier (bilsteins maybe??) than the OEM shocks they put on last week. I think I coould replace them with my neighbor buddy's help.

So, I ordered the steering control stabilizer and front SumoSprings. Next month will be rear Sumo's and both front and rear sway bars. I'll try and post pics and updates of the upgrades.

If you're on the fence of the upgrades vs. cost, watch a few youtube videos on the upgrades and everyone says that should be your first E350/E450 upgrade. If you've ever driven a class C E450 for more than an hour, you feel beat up and always blown off the road by passing semi's.

BTW, after all my research, here's what I'm going with for my E450:
Roadmaster steering stabilizer RM-RBK24-RSSC ~$325,
Sumo Springs front 1,000lbs SSF-106-47 ~$185,
Roadmaster Front sway bar RM-1139-176 ~$346,

Roadmaster Rear sway bar RM-1139-147 ~$347,
Sumo Springs Rear 2,800 lbs SSR-107-54 ~$244.

FYI, there is a smaller set of Sumo's (500 Lbs front and 1,500 lbs rear) that would probably work, but I found one review recommended those for a E350, and when we go, I always go out with a full gas tank and full fresh water tank...i.e. lots of weight.

In summary, I love my Majestic, former rental CA 27G (the 28'-6" with the aero front that they don't sell anymore), yes, I'm putting an investment in it, but planning on keeping it for awhile, and anything to improve safety while driving it a must. And even if you buy a new class C RV, you're going to want to put these steering and suspension upgrades on cause Ford doesn't do it originally. Stay tuned for updates on the upgrades.

texasvwnut
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Thor Majestic 23A

texasvwnut
Explorer
Explorer
C. A. Lindsey wrote:
Hello Everybody,
I am thankful to you all for keeping this forum going. Now I need to ask some of you more experienced folks for help. I'm strongly considering a former Cruise America rental - a Majestic 28A, but my DH and I hate the jack-knife sofa. Has anyone remodeled or replaced theirs? If so what worked for you?
Thank you in advance for advise and suggestions.

No experience with replacement but you're lucky if you can find a 28A at one of the Sales Centers. My better half and I went back and forth between the 23A and the 28A for just the two of us and we liked the couch and the extra sleeping area. We could not find a 28A without going on the wait list so the decision was kind of made for us when the 23A was 'in stock'. I'm sure it will be plenty for our needs.
2016 Thor Majestic 23A

texasvwnut
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
texasvwnut,,
Welcome to the Forum,and a future member of the Former Rental Owners Club! I know that it is a bit of a long read but if you and others found it informative then it was well worth it.

Heres hoping all goes well on the pre-purchase inspection and the purchase goes ahead as planed,

Please come on back and update the purchase progresses and how it went and your thoughts,that would be appreciated by all of here.

Again Welcome to the Forum!

Thank you. Will do. I'm anxiously awaiting the inspection on Saturday.
2016 Thor Majestic 23A

C__A__Lindsey
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everybody,
I am thankful to you all for keeping this forum going. Now I need to ask some of you more experienced folks for help. I'm strongly considering a former Cruise America rental - a Majestic 28A, but my DH and I hate the jack-knife sofa. Has anyone remodeled or replaced theirs? If so what worked for you?
Thank you in advance for advise and suggestions.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
texasvwnut,,
Welcome to the Forum,and a future member of the Former Rental Owners Club! I know that it is a bit of a long read but if you and others found it informative then it was well worth it.

Heres hoping all goes well on the pre-purchase inspection and the purchase goes ahead as planed,

Please come on back and update the purchase progresses and how it went and your thoughts,that would be appreciated by all of here.

Again Welcome to the Forum!
Buying A Rental Class C

texasvwnut
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings. I'm a new member but have been RVing for the past 15 years off and on. I previously owned a Castita pull behind and now am in the process of purchasing an ex Cruise America 23A from the Federal Heights (Denver) location. I've put my deposit down and have a pre-purchase inspection by a third party scheduled for June 6th. I do not have a date as of yet when I'll be picking up the Coach but it will be some time in June. Joe at the Federal Heights office has been very communicative and accommodating during this process so far. I'll update as my purchase progresses. This is an informative thread and well worth the read.
2016 Thor Majestic 23A

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting thread.

Compliments to the Mods for letting it keep on running!

~

TRM1
Explorer
Explorer
CwglIndn wrote:
UPDATE: Las Vegas Cruise America got us in touch back to the Phoenix (Mesa) branch to do the repair. We also noted there was no smoke detector and I had two questions about wiring. Tuesday night before we left to go to Mesa from our home in Tucson, I left the water pump on all night. Wednesday morning there was a leak above the exhaust from the underside of the RV, about 1 drop every 5 seconds and a pretty large wet area from dripping all night.

When we got to Phoenix, initially no one could connect me with Robert the fleet mgr/warranty guy. Finally, about 15 minutes later we connected and I confirmed the generator work, and showed him the water leak issue. He said it would be addressed but was unsure how long it would take, but he was confident it would be done the same day. I also mentioned the lack of a smoke detector and he said he would add it.

The wiring questions were 1) a bundle of 4 black wires were cut near the bumper. He explained that it was the back up sensors and it was CA policy if the sensors were damaged to just cut them off. 2) I noted there are 4 sealed holes on the bumper where the sensors should have been. I asked about wiring 7 way on the rear, and he said it was NOT wired for 7 way and I would have to have it wired from the back to the front. (I will still verify this later).

The work was completed in about 3 hours, we planned to shop and waste the day, but ended up cutting our rental car short so we could pick up and return home. The leak was no longer there, (small leak at the pump. we tested last night again), and the generator was working (replaced the control board). Not a lot of talk from Robert and I felt he was not providing more assistance, but he took care of everything we needed with no issues.

Can't wait for our 1st Official trip in two weeks.
The 7 pin connector is about halfway back on the frame on the driver's side. The connector for the controller is wired in behind the clock. A quick search will show you where both are. I installed my 7 pin with an adapter for the cockpit and combo of the 4 pin-7 pin adapter and my own wiring to connect to the OEM 7 pin Ford plug.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the update,it sounds like they did stand by their warranty and did it in a timely manner, that is great!

The leaking water pump was a fortunate catch,and to get it fixed before any damage was done.

The wiring bundle for the backup sensors has come up before I don't know why they just cut them off instead of fixing them. I know of no other CA Rental that were wired for the 7 way receptacle but I'm sure it can be done.

All in all it seems that the did what they said they would,although it seems that they are not all that friendly as I have heard before.

It is great to hear that all went well and I hope your upcoming trip goes smoothy,Have Fun. Any more updates would be great

Enjoy your new rig!
Buying A Rental Class C

CwglIndn
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE: Las Vegas Cruise America got us in touch back to the Phoenix (Mesa) branch to do the repair. We also noted there was no smoke detector and I had two questions about wiring. Tuesday night before we left to go to Mesa from our home in Tucson, I left the water pump on all night. Wednesday morning there was a leak above the exhaust from the underside of the RV, about 1 drop every 5 seconds and a pretty large wet area from dripping all night.

When we got to Phoenix, initially no one could connect me with Robert the fleet mgr/warranty guy. Finally, about 15 minutes later we connected and I confirmed the generator work, and showed him the water leak issue. He said it would be addressed but was unsure how long it would take, but he was confident it would be done the same day. I also mentioned the lack of a smoke detector and he said he would add it.

The wiring questions were 1) a bundle of 4 black wires were cut near the bumper. He explained that it was the back up sensors and it was CA policy if the sensors were damaged to just cut them off. 2) I noted there are 4 sealed holes on the bumper where the sensors should have been. I asked about wiring 7 way on the rear, and he said it was NOT wired for 7 way and I would have to have it wired from the back to the front. (I will still verify this later).

The work was completed in about 3 hours, we planned to shop and waste the day, but ended up cutting our rental car short so we could pick up and return home. The leak was no longer there, (small leak at the pump. we tested last night again), and the generator was working (replaced the control board). Not a lot of talk from Robert and I felt he was not providing more assistance, but he took care of everything we needed with no issues.

Can't wait for our 1st Official trip in two weeks.