cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying a new class A

53_willys
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are going to sell our 5th wheel and buy a class A and tow a Jeep. We have a budget of 250K for the class A My question is what motor home models would you stay away from. Also how do you like the V10 and what diesels do you like.? Whatโ€™s class As are you more than happy with ?
10 REPLIES 10

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
Have had gas and now diesel, all purchased used and well cared for. The V-10 Ford powered 34 ft 2018 gas was fine for the traveling we did and it pulled our towed car fine. But was noisey and not a great ride, so moved to a Tiffin RED 34 ft, night and day difference in quiet, ride and quality. Then moved up to a 40 ft Tiffin Bus, even nicer. For the money your wanting to spend you should be able to find a quality well kept used Tiffin. Good luck in your hunting
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

Alex_and_Tee
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to be a lot of DP fan boys out there. Here is my 2 cents.

My wife and I did a lot of research before placing an order for a new coach. We considered used and decided that when spending this amount of money we did not want someone else's headaches and/or potentially poor maintenance.

We test drove a DP and while it gave a very nice and quiet ride, we also drove a gasser with V8, 6 speed and liquid springs. Honestly, for the $160,000 more than the gasser, I couldn't come close to justify it. The interior features were nearly the same quality and the floor plan in the gasser we liked better. (Compared Tiffin Phaeton to Tiffin Allegro Open Road)

We purchased the Open Road and plan to keep it for at least 10 years so the depreciation is a non-issue in my mind. It is nearly fully loaded (the only things we didn't get is navigation, satellite and solar panels) and our price was 25% off MSRP. We picked our colors, options and do not have to settle for someone else's choices. We will know that EVERYTHING is brand new and yes, we now new coaches can have issues too but, that is what a warranty is for. Do you really want to buy a used coach and then layout $7-8000 for an extended warranty?

So, for your $250,000 budget you can buy a brand new Tiffin Allegro Open Road and keep $60-$70,000 in your pocket. That buys a lot of nights in a CG. Plus fuel is less expensive and maintenance is less expensive on a gas model. Unless you are going to trade it in in 2-4 years the depreciation is essentially meaningless.

Hope that helps. Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
Alex & Teresa

2022 Allegro Open Road
2021 Colorado 4x4

Land_Yachters
Explorer
Explorer
Mike W wrote:
If I had your budget I'd buy a used Tiffin Red.

I bought a 2018 Tiffin 33aa Allegro Red in 2019 for $190K and love it. It was used with 9,000 miles on it. I would assume the prices have increased since then, but really have no complaints. We are full timing in it since November. It is our first RV.
Land Yachters
Griff, Ali and Coco
Philadelphia, PA
2018 Tiffin 33AA
2018 Grand Cherokee

Mike_W
Explorer
Explorer
If I had your budget I'd buy a used Tiffin Red.
1987 Executive Diplomat 35
Sad Days
Sold my baby
๐Ÿ˜ž

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP wants to stay short for CA outdated CGs...no need for a diesel. Buy new and join the โ€œNew MH Bluesโ€... in shop more than the road. Better like what you buy as youโ€™ll take a 20% hit ($$$) before you make the first trip.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
supercub wrote:
My suggestion would be........don't buy new. Look for a good used motor home. There's lots of them out there. Let someone else take the big depreciation. Second, don't buy gas, buy a diesel pusher preferably with a side radiator. With your budget you can get a very nice used diesel pusher.

Supercub beat me to it...my suggestion exactly. For $250k you can get a nice relatively new DP.
2014 American Eagle

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Horsedoc wrote:
Supercub has a good point. Lot of good deals can be had with a 250K budget. With the economy right now however the market is with the sellers, not so much the buyers.

He'll catch some of the upside w the sale of their FW.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Supercub has a good point. Lot of good deals can be had with a 250K budget. With the economy right now however the market is with the sellers, not so much the buyers.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
My suggestion would be........don't buy new. Look for a good used motor home. There's lots of them out there. Let someone else take the big depreciation. Second, don't buy gas, buy a diesel pusher preferably with a side radiator. With your budget you can get a very nice used diesel pusher.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anything later with the V-10 and 6 speed will work great. The new V-8 and 6 speeds are reporting to be very good with better fuel mileage.
With a budget of $250k you should be able to find a very nice used diesel that will be better quality than almost any high end gas MH. With that said and in your position I would go diesel. The ride will be much better and so will the power and mileage.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!