cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

buying an rv

josianna
Explorer
Explorer
hi I have heard of a 2003 Bigfoot 30mh27ds for sale for 54000 and it has 61, 000 original miles on it. the seller claims it belonged to a rather old woman who no longer camps. Any comments? Price what to look for and any other suggestions you might have please.
16 REPLIES 16

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of hiring an "RV inspector", consider hiring a mobile RV repair man. Get references, call and explain your situation, i.e. you're looking at used RV's and need someone who is well experienced with RV chassis ( engine, transmission, brakes, heater, dash AC, windshield wipers, suspension, and exterior lights) as well as the "housebox" (i.e., exterior paint and graphics, roof sealing, RV generator, house battery and converter charger, roof AC, awning, fresh water pump, toilet and holding tanks, water heater, fridge, microwave, propane system and detecting water damage.) Explain that you will want him to check operation of all items, and give a detailed estimate, parts and labor, of what repairs, replacements and upgrades will be needed. I would expect that type of testing/inspection to take up to two hours and cost you some $200 or more, but it could help you avoid buying a "money pit" that could ultimately cost you much more than it's market value.

If you have have read all these recommendations, you are already better prepared than we were when we bought or first used Class C "moneypit"

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't pass up an aging but desirable RV merely because it has unusually low mileage. Our 2004 Tioga 26Q has faded graphics from Socal sun. It has new tires and house batteries, newish roof AC and fridge, newish converter/charger, recently serviced RV generator, newish awning fabric, has very low mileage due to our intervening health problems. It runs fine and everything works. No, we're not planning to sell it. We often get people stopping and asking if we want to sell.

WinMinnie02
Explorer
Explorer
josiana,

We have a class C RV with 2 slides, for the last 15 years. Ford E450 chassis is a great chassis, strong engine, need basic maintenance. Not sure about Big Foot but water leaks are common for all RVs, just need to inspect and maintain annually. All of them will require annual maintenance and some repairs same as your home and vehicles. Being handy is helpful, the engine and drivetrain would be the most fun to repair, the living area is much easier.

josianna
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the help. I would have to buy another vehicle to tow a trailer and that can be expensive too. I have checked with a rv inspector and they are booked until September so it may have to wait until next year when the prices go down and there is more to choose from. This has been a learning experience for me to be sure. Thanks again for all your help and willingness to help.

josianna
Explorer
Explorer
I just contacted a rv inspector and the earliest that they can do an inspection is getting on to September so perhaps it is better to wait until next year when the prices go down. Cannot afford to waste money on what could be a bad investment

Thank you all for the help.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
josianna wrote:
thank you. good idea on learning to evaluate the price of an rv.

Welcome to a great place to get reliable information.

My opinion is that is far too high a price. I feel it is too old as well.

Three things matter when looking at a used Rv.

1. look for water leaks.

2. look HARDER for water leaks.

3. LOOK EVEN HARDER for water leaks.

Pretty much everything else can be fixed.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi josianna,

Welcome to the forums!

I read your other post so I'll limit my comments here to the rig.

I'd like to start off by saying that this IS a Class C motorhome you mentioned, but the post is in the Class A forums. You might wish to ask the moderators if they could move it to the Class C Forums. There's nice people over there, too! ๐Ÿ™‚ There are some that are VERY knowledgable about Class C's of all brands.

The good news: Back in the day that motorhome was built, Bigfoot was one of the top quality Class C brands made. They came with a price. They probably had some of the best insulation of any Class C made, then or now. (We were still researching for our first (and still only) RV during that time period and gave the Class C's a lot of scrutiny for our intended purposes. I will add that the input we got from the folks on these forums was invaluable to us making the right decision and buying the right rig the first time.) The mileage on the rig you mentioned is low, but not too low. I'd like to know how many hours are on the generator, because if they're not properly exercised, they tend to need a carburetor cleaning/rebuild.

In this market, as others have said, I don't know whether that's a good price or not. I guess my suggestion is if you can delay the process for buying by a year or so, the prices will hopefully fall back into reason as all of the people who have instantly wanted to become RV'ers realize that this is NOT an inexpensive way to vacation or live.

The bad news: The unit you are looking at has two slides. Slides add weight. They can also serve as opportunities for water to seep in if the seals aren't kept intact. That rig, like most, is built upon the Ford E-450 chassis. A good chassis, for sure. But a 28' long motorhome loaded with options (which the Bigfoots generally were) and two slides pushed the chassis axle weight limits toward their maximums, especially the rear axle.
The brochure I found for you model says the "base dry weight" is 11,390 pounds. The maximum weight capacity of the chassis is 14,050 lbs. BUT, that has to be properly distributed between the front and rear axles. You can't really add much weight to the front axle, so most of the "cargo carrying capacity" is limited to the rear axle limits. So, even though there might be large storage bins, IF you want to stay within the chassis limits, you will have to pack lightly. Also, realize that is a "base dry weight". I don't know how Bigfoot defined that, I'm assuming it means no fuels, water, propane and "base" might mean the weight BEFORE the put on the air conditioner, generator, etc.

It has a very nice 63 gallon fresh water tank, but when you fill that, you're going to add 500 lbs. of weight right there. 55 gallons of gas is a bit over 300 lbs., and about 90 lbs. of propane. So you can see how the numbers may add up.

Now, I did read that you're single with two dogs, so if you are able to pack lightly, you could probably make this work. (With our research, I knew for our growing family of 6 at the time, we needed a lot more weight capacity and space than the E-450 chassis could offer us.)

One other thing to consider is that rig is large enough that you probably want to have another mode of transportation to use once you're parked. So that means towing a car behind you. That's a topic all by itself, but it's something you should think about. Being a "solo" person, you can't have someone else drive your car for you, not that that is very convenient anyway. Most of us tow another vehicle.

Again, the Bigfoot is a "jewel" in the Class C market IF it's been properly maintained. It is 18 or 19 years old. If it was stored inside a building, GREAT! If not, there could be some real issues. If there is ANY SIGNS of water intrusion, it could be VERY EXPENSIVE to repair, and I'd probably suggest you look at other options. Without fairly frequent use, critters sometimes find their way inside and gnaw on wiring harnesses which can cause all sorts of issues, especially if it's the chassis wiring harnesses.

Feel free to ask us any questions. We're here to help!

Good Luck in your search,

~Rick

P.S. When we bought our rig, I had spent a bit over 2 years doing the research, most of it right here on these forums. We were pretty much complete newbies to camping and RV'ing at the time. We went from looking at small hybrids to pull behind our minivan to the Class A in our signature which we use to tow our minivan behind us. And every solution available at the time in between. Fortunately, I had a flexible budget! LOL But my point being is that this is not something you want to rush into without knowing all of the details, unless you have A LOT of "disposable income" you don't mind disposing of to RV dealers & repair people.
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you have a full size SUV or pickup, a travel trailer may be a good alternative for significantly less money. As a single person, a 15-18ft trailer should be workable and you don't need a monster 1 ton dually to pull it.

On of the issues with a motorhome is you either need to pull a car behind it or you have to break camp every time you want to run up to the store. With a trailer, you have a built in vehicle to run around with.

If you go this route: Do check the ratings...in particular the payload assuming 15% of the trailer sits on the hitch and counts against the payload (Payload often runs out before you reach the tow rating limit).

As others have said, the biggest likely issue is water damage from leaks. It would be well worth it to pay an RV tech a couple hundred to go over it looking for leaks and making sure everything is functional.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
If the roof has not been properly maintained, it MIGHT need a complete roof rebuild. $$$$. A good inspection would reveal this.

If it has been leaking, the floor may have rotted. At that point RUN AWAY !

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
For a 2003 27 ft Class C $54,000 seems very high.
Should be selling for much less. $25,000 to $30,000, tops!
Check out AutoTrader.ca
Lots of used 2001 - 2005 Class C RV's in the $25 - 30,000 range
2010 Suncruiser

diplomatdon
Explorer
Explorer
Bigfoot was one of the best built Class C motorhomes in that era. Better built than most today. That price is Cdn $ I presume and the mileage Kilometers? The price is not out of line if my assumptions are correct. Have it inspected and deal accordingly. Bigfoots really hold their value. Good luck, Don

josianna
Explorer
Explorer
thank you. good idea on learning to evaluate the price of an rv.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just be mindful that the demand for RV's is high and people are asking (and getting) premium prices for their used rigs. It will be hard to assess a good price for a used RV because many buyers know that if you don't buy it, there will be others behind you that will. So, harder to negotiate prices. And harder to determine what fair market value is as well.

You can try using things like NADA and look at their used values for any RV you are looking at. Just be mindful that their values are most assuredly pre-covid, and RV prices are in territory that really no one can accurately evaluate. But, it will still give you an idea if the seller is insane, or just a little crazy in their valuation.

I read your other post as well about getting into RVIng for first time, and maybe doing some full time RVing as you look for a new house. I don't know how the RV rental market is in Canada, but you might consider renting as you work the bugs out of your RVing experience. Renting an RV can give you some time to figure out what you like about the particular rig you are renting, but more importantly, what you DON'T like. So, when you get ready to buy, you know what's important to you and what you're willing to compromise on.

Obviously, renting an RV is "sunk money" that you won't get back, but it could better prepare you for this big step. Plus, give you some insight and thoughts about what to look for problem wise in RV's. The suggestion about hiring a mobile tech to evaluate/do the PDI is a good one too.

Just food for thought.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

josianna
Explorer
Explorer
thank you good info