cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cable on roof

somuch2see
Explorer
Explorer
Had to purchase a tailgater as old system is too old and doesn't work with new tech. We want to unit down on the ground by the M/H as I'm to darn old to be climbing up on the roof. Anyway, we ran the coaxial cable from old unit(on the roof) lays flat for about 2 1/2' then through the ant an then another 2 1/2' and then down the side of awning leg which I attached it to. Want to attach the cable to the roof somehow(as I think it will vibrate and make all kinds of noise up there)but I don't want to drill any holes or duck tape it as the tape leaves such a mess. Have purchased some lexel silicone to run over the top of the cable but that stuff is there to stay and impossible to remove if you ever want to. Any idea's would be greatly appreciated as I'm at my wits end..Thanks
A happy man is not the one who has the most but the one who needs the least.
9 REPLIES 9

Vectra930
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a cable connection in one of your bays to run an outside TV and you don't use an outside TV you can use that line as the feed to the box ..... then just hook the Tailgater to that connection. That's how I do it and it works great except that you have the small downside that it only feeds one TV. If you can live with that your all set.
2003 Foretravel U320
2014 SRX

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Though I agree with the first response. Run a new coax not through the roof

Dicore not the self leveling kind, will stick it down.. or GOOP But I like Dicore on the roof. after all who do you think Made the roof?
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

somuch2see
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for all the ideas, yes I do have a cable hookup in one of my bays. Thanks DSDP Don. Will have to find where it is behind the VCR and all the other stuff up there but that sounds the way to go. The dish man just plugged it into the cable coming out of the old dish that's the reason it was up on the roof. This will be easier, just hope I can find the other end without any trouble.
A happy man is not the one who has the most but the one who needs the least.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
somuch2see wrote:
Had to purchase a tailgater as old system is too old and doesn't work with new tech. We want to unit down on the ground by the M/H as I'm to darn old to be climbing up on the roof. Anyway, we ran the coaxial cable from old unit(on the roof) lays flat for about 2 1/2' then through the ant an then another 2 1/2' and then down the side of awning leg which I attached it to. Want to attach the cable to the roof somehow(as I think it will vibrate and make all kinds of noise up there)but I don't want to drill any holes or duck tape it as the tape leaves such a mess. Have purchased some lexel silicone to run over the top of the cable but that stuff is there to stay and impossible to remove if you ever want to. Any idea's would be greatly appreciated as I'm at my wits end..Thanks

If you just want to attach it, I would use some lock tight adhesive (the liquid nails style). Would be simple enough to just mush it into the adhesive and leave it there for a couple days before driving.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
saw a neighbor's installation, he stuck down some 1/2-3/4 PVC pipe to run his wire thru.
bumpy

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
If you really want to keep using the roof cable, just "tack" it down every foot or so with dabs of Dicor Lap Sealant.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Where the cable comes thru the roof it is plugged into something. Unplug it and plug in a new cable, then as Dennis said, run the cable outside from there. Why does it have to go up on the roof and then come back down?

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Your coach should have a satellite connection in one of your bays, usually the power bay. All you need to do is connect it there. If you haven't changed the interior cabling it will work fine. If you have, just fine the cable that comes from the bay and connect it to your sat receiver and you're done!

The other option, if you don't have a cable connection in the coach, is to run a new cable up the "A" pillar of the coach to the sat receiver. Stub it off wherever it's convenient to connect the Tailgator. I would remove/glue down any cables on the roof.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Seems the easiest solution is to simply run a coax cable(s) from the outside of the coach to the inside using a thru hull connector. Then run one end to the tailgater and the other to the TV(s). Bury the cables behind furniture and/or along the sidewalls of the carpet. Then simply lay out the tailgater, plug the coax into the hull connector and watch your shows. Keep it simple...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG