cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cabover mildew under mattress

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2012 Thor Four Winds Class C, a 24C.

This summer has been very humid as well as hot, with plenty of rain.

While checking the cabover for leaks, we discovered mildew and dark (black?) mold under the mattress in the cabover. We've seen green mildew up there before and taken steps to clean it up and put empty water bottles under the mattress for air circulation.

Apparently that wasn't enough. Now we have a couple PVC pipes up there, lifting the mattress and allowing better air-flow to where we found the mold.

I've searched the forums for cabover mildew under the mattress (using any combination of words, not exact phrase) and nothing turns up.

Any advice, thoughts, help is appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
2naEagle wrote:
HyperVent

x3 or DRI-DECK the TC people use it and it seems to work .

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27700854/print/true.cfm

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
2naEagle wrote:
HyperVent

X2 - we used this under the mattress of our truck camper with a cab-over bed. Never had a problem in over 1000 nights of use. We did not have a mold problem, just anticipated it could happen with cold meeting warm and so invested in the Hypervent product.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
"Remember this is occurring UNDER the mattress." You are probably doing the best you can do then. Keep the mattress lifted when not in use, even if it looks tacky. Just remember, no one can see it but you, so does the appearance really matter? Being practical and "working" is much more important.

Thanks, you're right:)

2naEagle, thanks for the link. I've saved it and we'll check it out.

The seats don't come loose from the wood they're attached to...hope nothing funny is growing there!

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
HyperVent
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
"Remember this is occurring UNDER the mattress." You are probably doing the best you can do then. Keep the mattress lifted when not in use, even if it looks tacky. Just remember, no one can see it but you, so does the appearance really matter? Being practical and "working" is much more important.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
lfcjasp wrote:
2oldman, that mold scared me plenty. We really cannot let this stuff reappear, anywhere!!! Thanks for your warning!
If you have any foam seat cushions, check those too. I used to live in Seattle, where it drizzled from November to May, and I found that a slight bit of heat kept the mold away.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
Dutchmen Sport, thanks for your advice. Remember this is occurring UNDER the mattress. We keep a fan running inside the rig all the time, whether the AC is on or not. But you're right, this isn't a leak, it's condensation. Never had this problem so bad before, but this summer has been a witch with humidity.

2oldman, that mold scared me plenty. We really cannot let this stuff reappear, anywhere!!! Thanks for your warning!

The pipes under that mattress looks tacky, but as long as it works, they stay until someone has to sleep up there.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Very unhealthy to be breathing that stuff. Be careful.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like it's condensation and not a leak (be glad for that). Air movement is about the only thing you can do to keep condensation from happening.... air in...air out. Leave a couple windows cracked.

On one of our slide outs, where the floor meets the wall, the wall and floor will be wet. At first I thought it was a leak, but soon realized how wet the windows were, and when simply rubbing my hand over the slide out walls, they were very damp. Enough dampness turns into water droplets. Water droplets collect and form a flowing river eventually.

By simply leaving a couple windows cracked and leave the roof vents cracked a little, we've not had it happen ever again (in 5 years now with the current camper), as long as I remember to crack a window or tow.

Air conditioning inside with heat outside, and heat inside with cold weather outside will both cause condensation. And that water drips somewhere.

Air circulation is your answer. Keep a fan in the cab over.