cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use any 50 amp extension cord?

pweekly
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. I have a 40ft diesel with 50 amp power. I need to use it for a guest house for a weekend and want to plug into my 50 amp in the barn but the cord isn’t long enough. I see that RV extension cords are more pricey than other ones. Presuming it is the same receptacle, are they all the same? Thanks.

Tricia and Tom

:B

2005 Mandalay 40E 400HP cummins/Freightliner in Sapphire blue.
22 REPLIES 22

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
larry cad wrote:
FloridaRosebud wrote:
This is the female I used: https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/electrical-plumbing-lp-gas/rv-electrical-systems-and-accessories/plugs-connectors/power-grip-replacement_55-5002

Al

Good choice, and simple to get hold of. Price is right also.

Yeah, as I get older my grip is not as good, so having this style on both sides makes it far easier to connect and disconnect.

Al

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
FloridaRosebud wrote:
This is the female I used: https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/electrical-plumbing-lp-gas/rv-electrical-systems-and-accessories/plugs-connectors/power-grip-replacement_55-5002

Al

Good choice, and simple to get hold of. Price is right also.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer

Al

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Groover wrote:
Nine in stock here for a population of 30,000 in the entire county. They just made it a little hard to look them up.

14-50R at Home Depot
Everybody has those. Not really for making an extension cord. Need to add a J-Box.

Which is why I suggested using a NEMA 14-50C rather than a NEMA 14-50R.

The "C" version connects directly to the end of the wire without a box.

Our Travel Blog

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Groover wrote:
Nine in stock here for a population of 30,000 in the entire county. They just made it a little hard to look them up.

14-50R at Home Depot
Everybody has those. Not really for making an extension cord. Need to add a J-Box.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
larry cad wrote:
time2roll wrote:
larry cad wrote:
Building a 50A RV extension cord can be a bit tricky, mostly because the "receptacle" part is not easy to find.
https://www.progressiveindustries.net/14-50r

Like I said, not easy to find. Go out to Home Depot, and search for one. Not there. They exist, but you have to look for it.

14-50R at Home Depot

My coach only has 30 amp breakers in it so you can make a good case that it doesn't require 6 awg wire. In fact, it has been connected to 8 awg wire for the vast majority of it's 8 years I have owned it with no trouble. Sometimes when camping it is hooked up to a single 120V 15amp circuit using 14 gauge wire if that is all that is available. I just have to know what power is available and manage the load accordingly.

Now if your coach really can draw all fifty amps and you only use 10 gauge wire for the extension you might start a fire but it would be extremely unlikely.

You should watch the voltage from a barn outlet at first to be sure that the wiring is adequate for the power that you a pulling, especially if you don't have automatic low voltage shutoff.

I recently ordered an 8 awg custom length cord from these guys. I haven't used it yet but have no doubt that it is adequate and it sure is easier to handle than a 6 awg cord.

8 awg 240V extension cord

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
larry cad wrote:
Building a 50A RV extension cord can be a bit tricky, mostly because the "receptacle" part is not easy to find.

Like I said, not easy to find. Go out to Home Depot, and search for one. Not there. They exist, but you have to look for it.

Our Travel Blog

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
larry cad wrote:

DS_Canuck
Explorer
Explorer
Other than using the Air Conditioner I rarely have had to use a 50 Amp outlet .I do have a 30 Amp cord which does occasionally see some use in an RV park but for the most part I find a heavy duty 15 amp extension cord works fine for lights ,fridge and even the microwave oven!

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
pweekly wrote:
handy2sum wrote:
Is the 50amp receptical in the barn a 3-wire or a 4-wire with neutral? RV needs 4-wire.

It’s a 4 wire as we put it in when we got the RV.. In hindsight we should have put it a bit closer to the door.

So how long will the run be from outlet to RV?

Also, how good is your voltage at the outlet?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Building a 50A RV extension cord can be a bit tricky, mostly because the "receptacle" part is not easy to find. The male "plug" is very common as all 50A motor homes have one. The PLUG is a NEMA N14-50P. The other end of the extension cord can terminate with a NEMA N14-50R or a NEMA N14-50C. The N14-50R you will find, such as at Home Depot, etc. are designed to be mounted in an electrical box of some sort. The best way to terminate the cord is to use the N14-50C, but that item is difficult to find, with your best bet being an electrical supply house. As you can see, the N14-50C can be connected directly onto the rubber cord without the use of a box and cover. Rubber cord would probably be 6/4 SEOOW, or similar.

NEMA N14-50P

NEMA N14-50R

NEMA N14-50C

6/4 SEOOW

Current price $4.39/ft

Our Travel Blog

pweekly
Explorer
Explorer
handy2sum wrote:
Is the 50amp receptical in the barn a 3-wire or a 4-wire with neutral? RV needs 4-wire.

It’s a 4 wire as we put it in when we got the RV.. In hindsight we should have put it a bit closer to the door.

Tricia and Tom

pweekly
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Make sure it's actually an RV receptacle. If not, it could damage your coach.

Also, how long will the cord be and what are you running? If you are just running the fridge, TV and a fan, likely not a problem. If you are trying to run 2 air/con units, hot water heater on electric and the microwave, voltage drop can be an issue if you are connecting up multiple extension cords to reach the outlet.

That was a question I had. But I do notice that the welder’s cords seem to have a 3 prong connection where my RV one is 4. Maybe that’s to keep morons like me from doing such things.

Tricia and Tom

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
If the cord does have the same connectors and wire size ("6/3", or 6 awg), it's equivalent to an "official" RV extension cord will work fine. There may be differences in the type of cable used (how resistant it is to abrasion or prolonged UV exposure, etc.) ...

The best quality cords would be labeled SOOW. (Big and heavy !). Second best woul be SJOOW. Anything else would be their, BUT that is not to say it is bad ! It won't be as flexible in cold weather and may not hold to being soaked in oil.

Do double check that you're getting the right connectors.

This is the MOST important thing !