cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't figure out how to grease u-joints - '93 Ford E350

rgnprof
Explorer
Explorer
I had new u-joints installed last summer on my Class C Ford E350 and I went to grease them and can't get to 3 out of the four (only one I coulod reach was the front). c I bought a new 'right angle' connector and still can't connect to the zerk fitting...

Is this an installation problem? Can't figure out why they would make serviceable u-joints with zerks that you can't reach and "service"...

Any thoughts?
12 REPLIES 12

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I had a difficulty like that on the front wheel bearings. I fixed it by replacing the zerks with angled ones. Inexpensive and easy to do.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a long time, but I think that you can get a connector/grease gun fitting that is smaller, I don't think it locks on, you have to hold it on the zerk square and firm.

Dusty

rgnprof
Explorer
Explorer
I have tried the right angle - can't get it in between the yoke (the diameter of the connector itself is too large)...don't see how the needle will work either because I don't have a straight shot to the zerk. It's nuts! Either the shop who installed them paid no attention to the orientation during installation (and I'm not even sure there is an "orientation"), or ...I don't know.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Lincoln Lubrication 5803 Grease Needle Nozzle

The picture does not show it, but it should have a soft rubber tip.

How to Grease U Joints With A Needle Nozzle

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
OP tried the swivel style coupler. Those are very large Zerk fitting end

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
shastagary wrote:
one of these may work Right Angle Grease Coupler

X2,https://www.google.com/search?q=needle+grease+gun+fitting&oq=needle+grease&aqs=chrome.5.0j69i57j0l4....
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
one of these may work Right Angle Grease Coupler

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
Try an adapter like this:
Grease gun tip
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
These mini grease guns have a much smaller connector to the Zerk fittingsMini grease gun

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

rgnprof
Explorer
Explorer
Spicer replacement U joints...Have tried rotating driveshaft, etc.

Was hoping for some recommendation for a new, really thin walled zerk connector fitting 🙂

Thanks!

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
Company that made U joints probably isn't the same as who made the driveline yokes.
As mentioned, you may need to rotate the driveline so there is some angle to the U joints, which will provide clearance to get the grease gun in.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It could be simply a rotation problem. Block wheels a few inches, roll rig slightly to get fittings to an accessible locatiom

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow