Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car trailer towing with a Class A

N6WT
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all
Im a nube to this part of the forum. I traded in my TH for a 2015 Newmar Ventana 4002. Looking forward to some long trips in it when I retire in July!

I would like to tow a flat bed car trailer with a Jeep on it. Im just wondering if I should go with electric or surge brakes? If electric which brake controller should I go with?

Thanks
Kent
Formerly K6DKO
now NC6B
2015 Newmar Ventana 4002
2003 Jeep Rubicon O||||O
UPS Feeder Driver Retired
Ham call sign N6WT
7 REPLIES 7

N6WT
Explorer
Explorer
outofplace wrote:
If your coach has a factory installed 7way plug then the blue wire for the brakes is probably under the dash wrapped up
Yes it does and thats what I am hoping!
Thanks!
2015 Newmar Ventana 4002
2003 Jeep Rubicon O||||O
Ham call sign N6WT

outofplace
Explorer
Explorer
Electric brakes on both axles and use a Prodigy 2 brake controller. If your coach has a factory installed 7way plug then the blue wire for the brakes is probably under the dash wrapped up
Paul
2016 Outlaw 38RE

N6WT
Explorer
Explorer
OLYLEN wrote:
If your exhaust brake lights the brake lights, the trailer brakes will be on too. The surge may or may not be on depending on the amount of braking force being used. There are ways around each problem. I towed with a trailer for 7 years and just this year started towing 4 down again. Much easier to find a spot with no trailer, but I can't back up. Using tow bar and ready brute surge type brake system on my 4x4 and no problems on long steep grades and it does brake when needed.

LEN
That is a good point! Yes my brake lights come on when the Ebrake is active. Im not willing to flat tow my Jeep. The tires are to expensive and I have broken my Jeep before so I want a way to tow it home.
2015 Newmar Ventana 4002
2003 Jeep Rubicon O||||O
Ham call sign N6WT

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
If your exhaust brake lights the brake lights, the trailer brakes will be on too. The surge may or may not be on depending on the amount of braking force being used. There are ways around each problem. I towed with a trailer for 7 years and just this year started towing 4 down again. Much easier to find a spot with no trailer, but I can't back up. Using tow bar and ready brute surge type brake system on my 4x4 and no problems on long steep grades and it does brake when needed.

LEN

N6WT
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
you do not want the trailer brakes on all the time.
I would agree with that!
2015 Newmar Ventana 4002
2003 Jeep Rubicon O||||O
Ham call sign N6WT

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Doubt you have a easy hookup like in a PU for an electric brake controller. Hope I'm wrong as the problem with surge brakes on a long Colorado down grade... you do not want the trailer brakes on all the time.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
I went with electric brakes and the Insight Brake controller from Hopkins.

http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.com/products/brake-controllers/insight-flex-mount-brake-control.ht...