cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cat Diesel engine temp

Licreek
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all. I have a 36’ diesel pusher with a 275hp cat engine. Also I’m pulling a small car on a tow dolly. It’s mid July and I’m moving through Texas headed to indiana. This is my first run in 90+ ambient temps. I am noticing my temp gauge moving from about 5/8 to 3/4 when pulling a fairly light and short grade. The gauge has not moved to the red but if this were a gas engine I would say it’s running on the hot side. Iv never owned a diesel so my question is does this sound normal? Im afraid my rig will never make it through the Rocky’s. Also if the gauge moves close to the red can this cat engine handle it or should I be pulling over quick for a cool down. By the way it’s a 1999 year with 90k miles and all maintenance done. Thank you for any info. Safe travels, Lee
17 REPLIES 17

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would highly recommend you buy a Scangauge since you have idiot gauges. This will give you your exact temperatures and a lot of other information.

It should work on your MH, but since it's a 1999, make sure it has the OBDII Port before buying. It's well worth the $160.

Amazon

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Licreek
Explorer
Explorer
It is a Damon Ultrasport 1999 year.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Your coolant temperature should NOT rise about thermostatic control on minor grades.

Have you cleaned the FRONT of your CAC?

Have you checked the tension on the water pump belt?

How old are the thermostats (Caterpillar calls them regulators)?

What coach do you have?
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/