cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ceiling Flush Mount Puck Lights-Halogen to LED Bulbs

JC2
Explorer
Explorer
Our current MH, 2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304, has (45) ceiling flush mount puck lights which have the 12v 10w G4 base halogen bulb in each one. I would like to "gradually" replace these with the equivalent LED bulb. Anyone with the same setup done this or could possibly furnish a part # for the LED bulb. Halogens have always seemed to hot for my taste.
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304,Cummins ISL 425hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed,Ready Brute Elite TowBar/Brake,FMCA #402879,SKP#120487
14 REPLIES 14

johnsonbert
Explorer
Explorer
For the 911 bulbs, maybe try doing a search on ebay for a T10 base LED. I tried a few searches with different variations of this and found quite a few, some in round and some flat circular. Hope this may help. Happy Trails Bert
2006 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' Tag, ISL 400,(new to us), Residential Refrig, 10KW Onan, Bosch Washer/220V Dryer (previously 2003 American Tradition 40W) 2010 Chev Malibu LT

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
JC2 wrote:
Our current MH, 2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304, has (45) ceiling flush mount puck lights which have the 12v 10w G4 base halogen bulb in each one. I would like to "gradually" replace these with the equivalent LED bulb. Anyone with the same setup done this or could possibly furnish a part # for the LED bulb. Halogens have always seemed to hot for my taste.

JC2,
Well, Yep, I've done exactly what you're thinking of. And I did it over 6+ years ago. I too got mine from www.superbrightleds.com and, I've not had one bit of trouble with mine. There are (8) in the living room and kitchen area and, three in the bedroom. I wanted the "cool" white version but, the CEO over ruled me and, we ended up with the Warm white ones. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than those lousy, SERIOUSLY HOT, 20 watt Halogens that were in there in the first place. With those originals, you could turn them on and, within approximately 5-10 seconds, you'd burn your hand if you tried to remove or service them.

But, with the LED replacements, they could be on for weeks and you wouldn't burn anything trying to service them. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I've used superbright now for years and years and, yes, they're a bit on the expensive side. But, when I do a job, I want to do it ONE TIME and ONE TIME ONLY. No el-cheap-o ones for me.

I did all the interior lights with LEDs when I did those and, as stated, that was years ago and all are still working flawlessly.
Scott

Were yours the 911 bulbs ?
Can you post the ones you bought
Thx
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
13 years ago when G4 LED were almost $3 I replaced all of my ceiling halogen with 32 led bulbs...went from 36 amps to 4 with all on. In those 13 years I had to replace 2. I recently replaced over 70 in my "new" ride at less than $1 each. I like the 5050 chip size and the link below will let you measure if you can put a 15 chip led or even a 24 in your puck. Most of mine were only big enough for a 12 chip bulb after cutting some of the leads off so they are centered in the puck. If under a cabinet I would not worry about them being centered...more chips equal more light. I now like the warm white closer to 3500 temp the best for inside use. Buy a couple of each size and SEE how you like them...won't be out much.

.....Various G4 5050 LED

I have the 911 bulbs, how would I use these with just the wires sticking out ??
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE

ACDNate
Explorer
Explorer
I got a 20 pack of the led replacements for around $15. They aren't quite as bright as the halogen but not significantly enough for most to notice. No flickering or any other issues.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
JC2 wrote:

JC2,
Well, Yep, I've done exactly what you're thinking of. And I did it over 6+ years ago. I too got mine from www.superbrightleds.com and, I've not had one bit of trouble with mine. There are (8) in the living room and kitchen area and, three in the bedroom. I wanted the "cool" white version but, the CEO over ruled me and, we ended up with the Warm white ones. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than those lousy, SERIOUSLY HOT, 20 watt Halogens that were in there in the first place. With those originals, you could turn them on and, within approximately 5-10 seconds, you'd burn your hand if you tried to remove or service them.

But, with the LED replacements, they could be on for weeks and you wouldn't burn anything trying to service them. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I've used superbright now for years and years and, yes, they're a bit on the expensive side. But, when I do a job, I want to do it ONE TIME and ONE TIME ONLY. No el-cheap-o ones for me.

I did all the interior lights with LEDs when I did those and, as stated, that was years ago and all are still working flawlessly.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

ken1961
Explorer
Explorer
Almost 5 years and my 10 w and 20 w leds are still working fine. They are the white light not the yellow. Only problem when I use the antenna for the tv, the lights in the bedroom cause signal loss!
Ken

johnsonbert
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with all of the suggestions above. I found some on ebay, bought a few, they were junk, so found a different style. Did this a couple of times and hit on some good ones. I tried the 25 smaller smd's and ended up with the 12 larger smd type. I had to shorten the leads slightly and they are dim-able. I have had a few over the three years that started to flash, They were cheap enough to throw away and replace, but only about 3 or 4. Are they the answer to everything, no, but we have then in all our lights except the florescents and they work well for us. I do not have any of the halogen in the fixtures. Some were hot enough that they felt like they would damage the vinyl around the lens. They may not be good for every situation, but they do work well for us. Hope this may help, Happy Trails, Bert
2006 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' Tag, ISL 400,(new to us), Residential Refrig, 10KW Onan, Bosch Washer/220V Dryer (previously 2003 American Tradition 40W) 2010 Chev Malibu LT

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
13 years ago when G4 LED were almost $3 I replaced all of my ceiling halogen with 32 led bulbs...went from 36 amps to 4 with all on. In those 13 years I had to replace 2. I recently replaced over 70 in my "new" ride at less than $1 each. I like the 5050 chip size and the link below will let you measure if you can put a 15 chip led or even a 24 in your puck. Most of mine were only big enough for a 12 chip bulb after cutting some of the leads off so they are centered in the puck. If under a cabinet I would not worry about them being centered...more chips equal more light. I now like the warm white closer to 3500 temp the best for inside use. Buy a couple of each size and SEE how you like them...won't be out much.

.....Various G4 5050 LED
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

dturm
I've been gradually replacing mine. Got several equivalent to 20W (the ones I bought are currently unavailable) but they have other 20 and 30W equivalents. I got them in a warm white and really like them. Much less heat production and they have performed well.

Amazon G4 LED 20W
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Don't handle halogens with your bare fingers. Use a cloth or cloth gloves. The oil from your skin makes a hotspot on the bulb causing premature burn-out.

Old auto industry trick.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Bruce_Brown
We have only changed 3 of our halagons to LEDs so far and they will either be the last 3 or we may switch them back.

While ours don't flicker, not even a little actually, they produce so little light they are virtually useless. Maybe that's why they don't flicker?

Last week we returned from a trip, switching the LEDs back was discussed more than once during the trip.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
We had Halogens in ours. Tried the LED's for a week and didn't like them. Put the Halogens back in. LED's had less light and burned out easy. Boy do they stink when they burn.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I replaced all of mine last year. Fortunately, I saved the old bulbs. I just changed them all back yesterday. I read about the LEDs in Mohos burning out and/or flickering but I put that off to cheap bulbs. I purchased mine from a reputable dealer, SuperBriteLEDs, I believe it was. They were pretty expensive. I found the same problem as everyone else. These were wafers with about 9 or 10 LEDs each. They were not as bright as the halogens but I was willing to sacrifice the dimmer lights for the power savings. As the days progressed the small LEDS started flickering then burned out, leaving many of them with 6 or so LEDs. This resulted in a substantial loss of lighting, besides the annoying flickering as the LEDs began to fail. I have yet to meet anyone who has replaced their halogens with LEDs that hasn't had this issue. That is anyone who has had them for more than a year. My research shows it has to do with the way RVs are wired and the transformer/ballast that power the pucks. Anyway, best of luck to you but I'd recommend keeping the old lights, Justin Case......Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
JC2 wrote:

I have the same problem with lights frequency burning out in a Heartland Big Horn.