cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chaser and Chasee

Junatuna
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I decided we would not tow and she will drive the car,Iโ€™ll follow her. So far it seems to be working well for us. She drives a Kia Soul getting 35-37 miles a gallon and 10-10.5 with the class C. Just interested to see how many others go this route.
15 REPLIES 15

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We've been doing it for 9 years except for our trips to Alaska. We are full time and volunteer for 3-5 months at a time. Going to look for a new vehicle as our present 2005 Focus has 200,000 miles and not ready to spend a lot of $ on it.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I wish my X had taken the car and gone off on her own. It would have saved the kids and I a lot of grief.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
What works for you should be inconsequential to what anyone else thinks.

We tow a car, travelling together in the comfort of all that a rolling apartment offers was the whole reason we bought motorhome. But to each his own.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
We prefer to tow for a lot of reasons but sometimes if we are moving a short distance, we will not bother to hook up.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
mgirardo wrote:
If it works for you, then go for it.

A couple of thoughts though:

IF....the car goes first, it can lead the RV into places that it should NOT be going if you are not real attentive.

Some method of communication would be nice.
GMRS handhelds can be had at a reasonable price.
Also handheld CBs.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
If it works for you, then go for it.

We did it for a time. I would drive the Motorhome and she would follow behind. I used cruise control, she did not. She liked to stop more often and I did not. So it was a pain trying to follow her. Once the kids were old enough to sit in the front seat, my wife wasn't in the cab anyway. I usually took one kid and she took another.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
My wife and I prefer to spend our travel time together so this would be a "no go" for us.
2010 Suncruiser

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
We donโ€™t but if it suits yโ€™all then go for it. It seemed to work for Smokey and the Bandit. If wife follows you and you have communication with her, she could make lane changes easier for you by sliding over and allowing you room.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
Junatuna wrote:
My wife and I decided we would not tow and she will drive the car,Iโ€™ll follow her. So far it seems to be working well for us. She drives a Kia Soul getting 35-37 miles a gallon and 10-10.5 with the class C. Just interested to see how many others go this route.

I guess that means you're getting 45 MPG, lol.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
After looking at the expense of buying and setting up a tow car,insurance,maintaining and insurance. This is what I do. In the long run it makes much better sense dollar wise,for me.

It has worked well.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
If towing the car lowered your mileage to 8mpg from 10, then it's break-even on the fuel.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
What was your reasoning for the decision?
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

pushtoy_2
Explorer
Explorer
sounds like a lot of extra money and grief
DREAMER FMCA200924
GS Life member

chorbelt
Explorer
Explorer
My ex would do that; I'd leave with the trailer and she'd follow. Somehow along the way she'd get delayed and wouldn't make it to the campground until right after I got set up. That ruined the peace and quiet.
'11 Four Winds 23'
'97 Ford F-350 CC 7.3 and 10' Alaskan NCO - Unknown vintage.
'05 Komfort 27' Bunkhouse (gone)