cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chassis

sycamore92
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to purchase a new rv, Newmar. Question is, Spartan or Freightliner chassis?
14 REPLIES 14

Bruce_Brown
In the OPs case both would have the same radiator location, regardless of chassis choice. Both would have Comfort Drive, and the same axle ratings. I would have to check on rear end gear, but I would assume they would be the same.

**Update**

I just checked, the Freightliner has a higher rear end gear (lower number). Based on this I'd go with the Freightliner simply for the better MPG potential, although it probably wouldn't be a big difference.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
Sounds like with the new ones, it's boiling down to having a side radiator as a preference or not. Haven't heard it mentioned much here, but consider it very important for a lot of reasons and a deal breaker for me.
With the newer models, I have seen a lot of the side mounted fans, driven mechanically with a PTO sort of affair. I have a 2 speed fluid drive, which seems to free up a lot of space, but couldn't comment on the effectiveness of one or the other, although it does seem to be silent running. Then again, a CAT clatters so loud, how could one hear anything else?

I believe with the new Dutch Star your choice of Spartan/Freightliner chassis includes side radiator with each option.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like with the new ones, it's boiling down to having a side radiator as a preference or not. Haven't heard it mentioned much here, but consider it very important for a lot of reasons and a deal breaker for me.
With the newer models, I have seen a lot of the side mounted fans, driven mechanically with a PTO sort of affair. I have a 2 speed fluid drive, which seems to free up a lot of space, but couldn't comment on the effectiveness of one or the other, although it does seem to be silent running. Then again, a CAT clatters so loud, how could one hear anything else?
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Bruce_Brown
Blaster Man wrote:
We've had both Spartan and Freightliner. They both work fine, get the floor plan you like and don't worry about the chassis.

In the OPs case, Newmar now offers your choice of chassis on whatever floor plan you choose, with no difference in price for chassis choice.

IMO the 2 have closed the gap enough there really isn't much difference between them. I was recently talking to member LarryCad, who rides on a Spartan, about chassis. He had recently studied the 2 chassis and it was his opinion Frieghtliner had moved to the top.

As mentioned, we've owned both, both had/have given us excellent service. Our Freightliner needed nothing other than routine maintenance, our Spartan has had one small repair. With the lack of Spartan service centers we had to pay the bill upfront and Spartan reimbursed us. It was painless but a step we would not have needed to do with Freightliner.
Bruce & Jill Brown

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
We've had both Spartan and Freightliner. They both work fine, get the floor plan you like and don't worry about the chassis.
2014 American Eagle

Bruce_Brown
We've owned both, both have given us excellent service. Our current MH is on a Spartan, if we were buying today I'd probably lean more towards Freightliner more for the larger nationwide service network.

As for Newmar itself, good choice! :B We are on our 3rd one, if we were buying another it will be another Newmar. Comfort Drive is a real game changer.
Bruce & Jill Brown

Trumpet_Player
Explorer
Explorer
Cruzer03 wrote:
I've had both. I definitely prefer Spartan.

X2! Freightliner never again!
2012 American Coach Revolution

mvpmich
Explorer
Explorer
I think Spartan is the preferred chassis for most upscale DP owners but within the last couple of years Freightliner has added upgrades and improvements that would make them comparable. My neighbor went from a Spartan to a Freightliner chassis when he upgraded his Newmar to a 2015 model and was happy with the Freightliner. At that time Newmar was already adding certain upgrades/extras to the Freightliner chassis.
mvpmich
2012 Sportscoach Cross Country 385 DS
Freightliner XCR w/ Cummins ISB 6.7L 340 hp
2009 Saturn Vue, Blue Ox Alpha, RVi Brake 2

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
sycamore92 wrote:
We are going to purchase a new rv, Newmar. Question is, Spartan or Freightliner chassis?

Spartan would be my preference and with a side radiator, even though, I've never owned a Freightliner.
However, I did look at an open Freightliner chassis with a side radiator, most recently and it did look good.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

AFChap
Explorer
Explorer
If everything else were totally equal, I would choose the Spartan. But more important than the choice between Spartan & FL is the floorplan and build quality of the coach.
Paul ... was Fulltimin... now HalfTimin!
KE5LXU, SMART, WIT, FMCA, Good Sam, Escapees
'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E / '17 Jeep GC Limited

hostage
Explorer
Explorer
bullydogs1 wrote:
You need to drive both...and you should also consider Entegra...Both Entegra and Spartan were there for me when I needed them and the Spartan support is simply STELLAR as is Entegra....Entegra has a year longer warranty...Newmar is also good so it is a matter of what you like..Do not be afraid of Spartan at all...

I was in love with entegra when it hit the market but the constant problems they seem to have turned me off now I think my next unit will be newmar with sparton chassis

Cruzer03
Explorer
Explorer
I've had both. I definitely prefer Spartan.
Mark Quasius
2016 Entegra Cornerstone 45A
2007 Allegro Bus 42QRP - Cummins 400 ISL
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
You need to drive both...and you should also consider Entegra...Both Entegra and Spartan were there for me when I needed them and the Spartan support is simply STELLAR as is Entegra....Entegra has a year longer warranty...Newmar is also good so it is a matter of what you like..Do not be afraid of Spartan at all...
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe a better question is why buy new?

Personally, I'd let someone else take the initial depreciation hit and apply the savings towards a comprehensive service plan and put the rest of the savings in an account for upgrades, maintenance and repairs (deductibles).