cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class A gas - fiberglass roof? Who uses them?

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
In doing my research it appears that many manufacturers don't elaborate on the roof material in their brochures. Looking a REV products (Fleetwood /HR ) and Winnebago's. Would like a fiberglass roof if possible.
2017 F250 PSD 4X4
2015 Livin Lite Axxcess 24FBA
2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe
14 REPLIES 14

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago's fiberglass roofs are great, however...they are in need of yearly inspection and resealing along the sides, or you may loose the entire roof.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bruce Brown wrote:
I personally don't understand the obsession with a fiberglass roof. Our current MH has a Brite Tech roof that is 16 years old and looks as good today as it did 16 years ago.

On the other hand I have seen some fiberglass roofs that are so paper thin it's a wonder they're still there.

But...to each their own - I'd be far more concerned with the house construction itself rather than a roof material.

Remember, darn near every large commercial building has some type of rubber roof on it.

Agreed. I've had various RV's with various roof types. Well maintained they all seem to last. What really matters is how well the seams and penetrations are installed and sealed.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Bruce_Brown
I personally don't understand the obsession with a fiberglass roof. Our current MH has a Brite Tech roof that is 16 years old and looks as good today as it did 16 years ago.

On the other hand I have seen some fiberglass roofs that are so paper thin it's a wonder they're still there.

But...to each their own - I'd be far more concerned with the house construction itself rather than a roof material.

Remember, darn near every large commercial building has some type of rubber roof on it.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

wjschill
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2014 Tiffin Allegro with a one piece fiberglass roof.

Easy to clean and maintain.

Good Luck....

Skip
KillingTime

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Watch AZ Expert on Youtube if you are looking at used Winnebago class A coaches, he was a Winnebago RV tech for a number of years and has dozens of videos detailing issues with their fiberglass roofs that he has had to rebuild. If buying new calling manufacturer directly should yield the best coach specific info making it easier to decide which manufacturer provides the roof material you desire. Our current class A coach has a metal (aluminum) roof, although it has well over a decade of heavy use and full exposure to the elements over its lifetime, it has never leaked and still looks pristine. We have had every type of roof material on the 4 RVs we have owned over 3+ decades of RVing, upkeep is paramount regardless of material used in roof construction. Have fun shopping, hope you have many great experiences RVing, although it can be challenging at times we just love getting on the road with our motorcoach.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I ordered our 2013 Dutch Star a fiberglass roof was an option. I got it.
I looked and current model has the fiberglass roof as standard.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

RickC77
Explorer
Explorer
mfox20 wrote:
Just looked at a new Fleetwood Bounder and Holiday Rambler Vacationeer Friday and they both have the TPO roof material.

New Tiffin Allegroโ€™s have a one piece fiberglass roof.

You can download the brochures of the models you want to look at and they will list the roof materials in the specification section.

You may have to dive deeper in their website sometimes. Tiffin has a short roof construction video showing the fiberglass manufacturing.

We have a 2021 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 33C. It is the highest level Holiday Rambler gas model and it is very well build. Very nice Motorhome. One thing I donโ€™t like about it is that it has a TPO roof. It is not that I donโ€™t like the material or the roof, but for the price, and level of this Motor Home, it should have a fiberglass roof.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
All the older Safaris had Filon roofs.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Newmar Canyon Star does not use fiberglass.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

mfox20
Explorer
Explorer
Just looked at a new Fleetwood Bounder and Holiday Rambler Vacationeer Friday and they both have the TPO roof material.

New Tiffin Allegroโ€™s have a one piece fiberglass roof.

You can download the brochures of the models you want to look at and they will list the roof materials in the specification section.

You may have to dive deeper in their website sometimes. Tiffin has a short roof construction video showing the fiberglass manufacturing.
Michael

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor Gasser
2013 Honda CR-V Toad

ADUS
Explorer
Explorer
Nexus does.....

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
This is our first fiberglass roof - Wonderful! Easy to get lap sealant off when I replaced our satellite dish and vent covers to the ultra-breeze.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
a slight correction on the post, all winnie MOTORHOMES etc. etc. TTs are different.
and there is a reason that mfrs. don't brag up the fact that they are using rubber or TPO on their roofs. when somebody reports that they are interested in buying a >>>>>> I go to the web and try to find out its construction. rarely is given.
bumpy

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Txsurfer wrote:
In doing my research it appears that many manufacturers don't elaborate on the roof material in their brochures. Looking a REV products (Fleetwood /HR ) and Winnebago's. Would like a fiberglass roof if possible.

every Winnebago we've ever had (3) including our current model has had a fiberglass roof. but like anything regular maintenance is required.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle