cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class A, gas or diesel

Leonandlisa
Explorer
Explorer
So we had a bumper pull toyhauler (3 years), then a 35' 5th wheel toyhauler (3) years, and are now looking at Class A. We usually take a summer vacation that we go on a road trim and put about 3,000 miles on in a week or so. Lots of driving, but recently we have had my mother in law move in with us to help her out with some cancer battles and she goes with us everywhere, so the long trips are challenging with bathroom breaks. It is the four of us, Wife, 13 year old son, mother in law, and our standard poodle.

I wanted to go straight to diesel for the power, for the exhaust brake, and the 10k tow rating on most. I tow the 5th wheel with a 3500 ram SRW, and I have owned Ford diesels since 2010, so familiar with the maintenance.

I am in looking in the used market, but the diesels are still very expensive. Due to the family situation we are also looking for something with bunks for privacy and they seem to be more popular in the gas class A units.

So cons with gas:

No exhaust brake, less power, less longevity of the motor, less tow rating, and from what I see, the units seem cheaply made (smaller ac units, smaller generators, non residential fridge, less water storage, less gas storage) probably mostly to cut weight.

Obviously there is lots of gas units out there though, so want some feedback, how do they do? did you want to upgrade to the diesel right away? if you like the gas one, do you only do short trips? How are they in the mountains coming down and going up grades?

We are looking for feedback on units 35-40' long.

Sorry for the long story, and I know there is a million opinions, but I need to start somewhere.
32 REPLIES 32

ChrisColeman
Explorer
Explorer
If you plan to drive your RV a lot (more than 6,000 miles/year), then diesel RVs will be recommended. engines have a long life and will outlast gas engines. It's obvious that these diesel pushers are more expensive than their gas counterparts. However, with the longer engine life, diesel motorhomes will definitely get higher resale value. A diesel engine can be also driven for longer periods of time between maintenance. Besides, the increased torque in diesels means much more power! Not only are these engines more powerful, theyโ€™re located in the back which clear the issue of having the heat from the cab or the engine noise to deal with up front.

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
LeonaandLisa - FWIW: This was posted yesterday on another RV forum and pretty much sums up your question about maintenance / cost:

"Welcome to the world of owning and operating a motor home. There are two methods of recreation that are IMO more expensive, airplane and yacht.
I paid $2,600 to have the lift pump replaced. A bit over $3,000 to have the manifold replaced, both last year; OH, oil N filter(oil and fuel) changes for engine and genset was ~$500.
Did I mention traveling in a MH is the most expensive way? At our age however, it is the most convenient."
2017 Tiffin Allegro RED 33 AA
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar
Demco Air Force One Brake System

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
I've had both, gas and diesel. Yes the diesel is quieter and rides a little bit better than my gas one did, but the only thing I got frustrated with the gas unit was that I couldn't get gasoline at the truck stop pumps. Seems new gas stations have the pumps situated where it is cumbersome to get in with a large gas motorhome, especially if towing also. So we tried to stick with Flying-J, but there are many areas where there is no F-J. My V10 acceleration on On-Ramps was much better than my Cat330 diesel. MPG on the V10 was around 7-8, on the Cat330 I get 6.5-7.5
I wouldn't hesitate going with a Gas, but just test drive it on bumpy and at highway speeds first.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Leonandlisa wrote:
Racklefratz wrote:
Leonandlisa wrote:
I need to start somewhere.
OK, start here: when was the last time you saw a semi-truck with a gas-powered tractor? There's good reason why over-the-road semis are all diesel powered.

Gassers are full of compromises. Handling, road stability, gross weight, basement capacity, ... yada, yada ... diesel coaches give you more of all of that.

Is diesel maintenance more expensive? Yes. But, as with most things in life, you get what you pay for - simple as that.

This is how I felt, but wanted to have my opinions backed up just in case I had the wrong opinion. I appreciate all the comments, so far the floor plan that we like is the Fleetwood discovery 40G. Now we are searching to find a used one.

I'd be more concerned with quality of build, rather than engine. you can put lipstick on a pig but ...........
bumpy

Leonandlisa
Explorer
Explorer
Racklefratz wrote:
Leonandlisa wrote:
OK, start here: when was the last time you saw a semi-truck with a gas-powered tractor? There's good reason why over-the-road semis are all diesel powered.

Gassers are full of compromises. Handling, road stability, gross weight, basement capacity, ... yada, yada ... diesel coaches give you more of all of that.

Is diesel maintenance more expensive? Yes. But, as with most things in life, you get what you pay for - simple as that.

This is how I felt, but wanted to have my opinions backed up just in case I had the wrong opinion. I appreciate all the comments, so far the floor plan that we like is the Fleetwood discovery 40G. Now we are searching to find a used one.

Racklefratz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Leonandlisa wrote:

2012 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP (All Electric)

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
$2-$3k every FIVE years maybe if you hire it done which I have to do these days.

Coolant change, Allison fluid change, power steering flush, air compressor filter/dessicant, differential, air filter and belts.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
2-3k a year for maintenance is bull $hit.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I agree on the cost of maintenence isn't as high as some maintain. Mine gets done once a year and is between $2-300 including filters, grease,andd everything else. But had a new radiator put in my old DP and the part from Freightliner was $1500 + installation. Fuel, if you want to ride you have to buy it and forget the cost my current DP got 9.25mpg on a 1400 mi trip to FL towing around 5000lb of trailer.......Good luck but years ago I had 2 gassers and don't know what I was thinking.

Not meaning to be augmentative at all here in my prior post. I am only relaying what was quoted to a customer (while I was there) on the cost of oil change and filters for a customer with a DP. Also, the radiator cost was from a fiend who had a coach with a side radiator that went south on him. I do agree with most posts that average annual cost seems to be in the $2 - $3000 range for most DP's. Just another deciding factor between gas and diesel. Both have their place and financial burdens.
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree on the cost of maintenence isn't as high as some maintain. Mine gets done once a year and is between $2-300 including filters, grease,andd everything else. But had a new radiator put in my old DP and the part from Freightliner was $1500 + installation. Fuel, if you want to ride you have to buy it and forget the cost my current DP got 9.25mpg on a 1400 mi trip to FL towing around 5000lb of trailer.......Good luck but years ago I had 2 gassers and don't know what I was thinking.

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
There seems to be a some false information about maintenance on a diesel in this post. I bought a new radiator for my DP last summer for $770. My oil changes run about $205 with full synthetic oil. A lot of chassis components on a Freightliner chassis are the same as their over the road trucks. I am convinced if you say it's for an RV the price goes up. Yes maintenance is higher but not near as bad as some state. My take on this subject is to let your budget determine what suit your needs.

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Find the floor plan that works the best. Both gas and diesel coaches will get you over the mountain and to your destination. If you are the average RV owner that puts about 5000 miles a year on your rig, the cost of fuel should be way down on your list. If you need a 10K towing capacity, then there are NO gas Class A coaches that have this capacity so that makes your choice pretty easy. If you can get by with a 5K towing capacity, then your choices are open. Floor plan always it more important than anything else with an RV. You will spend more time living and sleeping in your coach than you will driving it.

Exactly the point there - If you are planning to tow the Ram, forget gas, not going to happen. Most gas class A's are in the 4 - 5,000 pound range for towing, based on total weight. But, I will say this - a gas coach is a lot less expensive to operate and maintain than a diesel. Around here, an oil change will set you back $500. Air filters, another $200, etc, etc. Radiators are $5 to $10K depending on model. We looked hard at DP's and after doing a total evaluation, went with the gasser ad=nd are very pleased wit the performance towing and it does fine over mountain passes and going down. Length can be an issue in some state and national parks as often they will state a size limit of 35 feet. Not always the case, but just something to be aware of. Good luck on your search - and the floor plan tends to become a very important item in the checklist.
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Find the floor plan that works the best. Both gas and diesel coaches will get you over the mountain and to your destination. If you are the average RV owner that puts about 5000 miles a year on your rig, the cost of fuel should be way down on your list. If you need a 10K towing capacity, then there are NO gas Class A coaches that have this capacity so that makes your choice pretty easy. If you can get by with a 5K towing capacity, then your choices are open. Floor plan always it more important than anything else with an RV. You will spend more time living and sleeping in your coach than you will driving it.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
20 years of gas and 5 for diesel hands down the diesel.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU