cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

class a in storage for over a year

peterman1
Explorer
Explorer
my class A is a gasser and has been in storage for over a year. the gas that is in the tank has also been there for over a year. I read that gas is only good for 6 months so should I drain the old gas? its a 2008 fourwinds hurricane with a ford v10 engine.
13 REPLIES 13

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
Alternate thought: unless an HOA rule prohibits, keep your rig in the drive and use it. Otherwise, you just forget you have it (except when the payment is due).
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
It will be fine, just drive it until empty and refill it. I wouldn't give it a second thought.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
My neighbor had a boat that sat for well over a year. I siphoned that gas (25 gallons) and put it in my motorhome. It drove fine, mixed with the 50 gallons that was in my motorhome. But, you might want to add a can of octane booster (Not Stabil).

jy
Explorer
Explorer
I recently bought a mh in florida that had been parked for a year.It has a v10 ford engine.It had about 1/2 a tank of fuel.Drove it about 80 miles to my fla.home and filled it up with fresh fuel.6 weeks later I drove up to michigan.It ran great and had no issues.
2016 wildwood bunkhouse,2018 f150 5.0.Camping with the grandkids now.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I agreeโ€ฆadd as much new gas as possible and give it a try.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
It's "best" to use gas within 6 months...it doesn't "go bad".

Most issues with "bad" gas are related to small carbureted engines. A little fuel gets left in the carb and when it evaporates off, it leaves behind gummy residue that blocks of the tiny passages in the carb. Bigger engines are less prone to this as they don't have such tiny passages in the first place and because fuel injected engines don't mix fuel and air until it's in the cylinder, there is less of an issue with evaporation while in the fuel delivery systems.

How I would handle it depends how much gas is in the tank, how easy it is to syphon out and what kind of trips you have planned.
- If it's mostly empty, just fill up and it will dilute the old gas.
- If you have a trip long enough to burn thru a couple of tanks, topping up and burning it off makes a lot of sense.
- If you don't have any long trips, topping up and burning it off before filling it back up is an expensive option. (80gal at $4/gal is $320...plus your time driving along with wear and tear on the MH for no purpose other than burning off the gas)
- If it's not hard to syphon out and you aren't planning any trips long enough to burn off a couple tanks of gas, you could syphon out 4-5 gal and mix into the car gas tank when it's 3/4 full. Repeat and eventually, that will leave it empty enough that when you do fill up, the old gas is well diluted with fresh.

In the future, plan to add fuel stabilizer before putting her into storage but even then I prefer to dilute when pulling out of storage.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
SMELL IT!

If it smells like gasoline, just drive it.

If it smells "off", drain and put in new. Fuel injection parts can get expensive.

Very likely you will find it is just fine.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Bruce_Brown
My gas tractors sit for about a year, never had an issue.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

peterman1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the information and happy rving

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
It's not too late to add some Stabl, even now. Put an excessive amount into the gas tank, then add a bunch of new gas and it will probably be fine. Did this with an old gas powered tractor and all is good.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
You will be OK. Yes the gas will go bad, but it will still run and drive. Stop and completely fill the tank and drive it till itโ€™s near empty then refill it.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Add as much fresh gas as you can and give it a try. I would use some additive to take care of any moisture that may have developed in the tank.

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
Too bad you did not add Stabil to the gas before storage. That would keep it good. I would just run it and hope.