gets pretty warm on legs, too confining, have I already answered
my own question ? thanks
23 REPLIES 23

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
tdgulfstream wrote:
thanks for all the responses - still on the fence - but to stir it
up a little it more - my 28' class c with ford v-10 gets about 8.5 miles per gallon - what would I expect to get with either a diesel or
the ford v-10 on the class a 31' - thanks

Trying to narrow down MPG on any unit or a comparison of units with all the variants involved is about impossible. Year, Engine, Terrain, how it's loaded, wind, PSI, etc, all play a factor.

Expect 7-11MPG as an average. Some units will get less, some of the newer DPs will creep into the double digits but you pay for that. Most gassers get about 7-9. I don't think there is much difference in mpg from a C to an A. Same engine with a house bolted to it. Just a different house.

I stopped tracking MPG years ago. Figure I would still take the same trips anyway so why fuss over something that simply does not matter. In the grand scheme of things a few MPG does not really amount to as much as you think it will unless you take a lot of long trips. If MPG is really important, don't buy a MH. Buy a Prius and pack a tent.
2013 ACE 29.2

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
tdgulfstream wrote:
up a little it more - my 28' class c with ford v-10 gets about 8.5 miles per gallon - what would I expect to get with either a diesel or

On my 36' F-53 chassis with the Ford V-10 I was getting 8-9 mpg.
On my 38' Freightliner chassis with the Cat 3126-E 330hp I get 8-9 mpg.

The gasoline coach weighted around 19K and the DP weighs around 30K.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

tdgulfstream
Explorer
Explorer

box710
Explorer
Explorer
Floor plan is most important. I went through so many coaches until I found the right one that fit all my needs. we can all tell you the pros and cons of each specific unit,but you are going to figure out which one fits your needs. go to your dealer and try out a pusher and a gasser and see which one you prefer. I know its no easy decision. I went from a fiver to 3 different class a's to another fiver to another class a pusher and that's where I'll stay. just saying it can be a trying experience to figure out what's right for you

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
You realize you posted this question on the Class A forum so the replies might be a bit slanted, but Class A has it all over a Class C in a lot of categories.
2013 ACE 29.2

roxy13019
Explorer
Explorer
We just traded our 27ft class C for a 32ft class A DP. I know exactly what you are talking about! We couldn't be happier that we made the change. Noise, heat and limited vision replaced with quiet, cool and wide open vision! I am still amazed at the size of the windshield.
Mind the maintenance costs, we just had to replace our fuel transfer pump and the fuel pump. OUCH!

dpruettsms
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with most replies. We love our pusher, 2004 Monaco Knight. Our 8th coach and it is a keeper bought used in 2006.
There is more living space in the front as the driver and passenger chairs rotate.
In my opinion more money for upkeep with the diesel.
However regardless of how nice the 2000 unit is you are looking at it is still 14-15 years old.
Personally I would not buy a coach that old regardless of price due to "not knowing the coach". If I owned it 10-12 years that is different based on understanding what the coach needs.
Keep the class C another 3 months and then decide on your next move.

As you camp ask to see your neighbors coach, most everyone will tell you anything you may want to know.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I am another that says " go for it". If you like the class A, why not have what you want. Way to many people say buy your last coach first, where is the fun in that? These things are just toys for big people and the way I see it, toys are fun. If the price is what you can afford, is there any reason not to trade up? Life is short, enjoy.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
We traded last June, went from a 27' Class C to a 31' Class A. Both gas units.
The 4' difference is amazing.

X2 on what LVJ58 wrote.

Edit by Barb

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Going from a 28' to 31' is not a big jump. You might want to test out some 32-34'. As you can now see, changing RVs can be a bit expensive. Get the correct size for you with this next one.

If you're concerned with not fitting in public campgrounds, we did just fine with our 40' motorhome.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Without considering floor plans, which in my mind is most important, I can only give my feelings. I drove gas motorhomes for over 35 years and enjoyed all our trips with the family. This year I purchased my first diesel. Cost had previously been the major constraint, and floor plan, but the kids are grown and on their own, so may things change. The first major advantage of the diesel is that it is quiet. We can hear the radio, and have quiet conversations while on the road, even over mountains. Second is the rock steady drive. Even on California's miserable highways (delayed maintenance) the bus like ride is very comfortable. I never had a problem towing a smallish car behind the gas motorhomes, so that is not an issue. The tile floor vs the carpet or vinyl floor is not an issue, and since I never fill the bays as we vacation, we don't "full time" carry capacity is not an issue.
So enjoy, and Happy Trails.

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
Now that you have many varied suggestions as to what you should do, I'll throw mine in;)

If the coach you're considering to replace your current coach has the additional space you desire and a floor plan that suits your needs, and, is in the price range you're comfortable with, I would say GO FOR IT!!!
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
Almost everyone that has a diesel will tell you its the only way to go. Diesel owners are very loyal.

For those of us who have never had a diesel, we will tell you that a gasser is just fine. I don't have issues with heat, noise or ride...........that I know of. I say "that I know of" because I have never driven a DP to know what I amy or may not be missing. My point is that unless your doing a lot of traveling or spending your time in the mountains, a gasser will serv you well. Just make sure the AC on that 2000 is up to code and working strong.

3 months is plenty of time to know if you like your C or not. a 28' C has the advantage of being more nimble and fitting into smaller spaces. The disadvantage is the room in it. It really is designed to get you to and from, provide you a place to sleep and get clean and that's about it. There is nothing wrong with that if that is what you want/need. If you want to spend more time inside than outside you may want a bigger rig but even a 28' class A would give you the same restrictions as the class C.

The 31' Class A will give you a little more room but not enough that would be worth taking a loss on your current class C. If you can do it without taking a loss then it may be an OK move. If not you may want to think about going a little bit bigger (if you plan to spend your time inside and not outside).

My recommendation would be to go to a good size dealer and drive a few so you can see what you like. Who knows there might be a bigger class C that you fall in love with.
Magilla

2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral 37' Gasser

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
In and of itself, gas vs. diesel makes relatively little difference. Things do get a bit confused because nearly all diesel motorhomes are pushers (rear engine), while nearly all gas motorhomes have the engine in front.

A front engine class A often shares some of the disadvantages you have of a class C (the doghouse space and heat issues), though often to a lesser degree than most class C's. The Ford E-series chassis is none to spacious in the driver's compartment. A rear engine class A does not have these issues, of course.

Do consider the tradeoff of a readily usable driver's door when parking or refueling. A great many class A's don't have a driver's door, and many that exist are rather more awkward to use than a class C driver's door.