cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class A quality

Elvis_Graton
Explorer
Explorer
We will be upgrading from a Class B to a Class A soon!
We are seeing and hearing multiple issues with craftsmanship! Debating between tier 1-2 and tier 3, ex.Flair to Bounder. Will you see the difference in the long run. I understand one has to put in +++ elbow grease in making them stable.
For the difference in price is it worth $30-40k more?
17 REPLIES 17

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
my first post was " is any of this $30 K difference because one has a fiberglass roof and the other rubber or TPO? " I was merely pointing out construction differences that could run up the cost. I did not in that post knock tpo or rubber just pointing out one potential cause. somebody else mentioned FBP as another price hiker.
others with obsessions whined about my dislike of rubber roofs on rvs. and I feel obligated when new rvers are looking at buying a unit, point out what I consider to be lower quality, such as 16 inch tires, wood construction instead of aluminum, and tin siding vs fiberglass. Oh there stupid me did it again, I guess tin is incorrect.

bumpy

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bumpyroad wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:

You also lump TPO in with rubber - that is a very uneducated move, two completely different animals, and yes, I've had both - 2 with rubber and 3 with Brite-Tek. .

I did NOT Lump anything. in fact I was clear to differentiate between the two.
bumpy

Your quote; because one has a fiberglass roof and the other rubber/TPO

Sure looks lumped in to me! :B

OK, would "the other rubber or TPO" suit you better.

but my original post only pointed out that construction could affect the difference/increase in cost. not that one was better than the other. others whined about an obsession.
bumpy

Bumpy, for years you have taken every opportunity on every post when someone asks for an opinion on buying a coach to chime on on this very same thing. I would say it's an obsession.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:

You also lump TPO in with rubber - that is a very uneducated move, two completely different animals, and yes, I've had both - 2 with rubber and 3 with Brite-Tek. .

bumpy

OK, would "the other rubber or TPO" suit you better.

but my original post only pointed out that construction could affect the difference/increase in cost. not that one was better than the other. others whined about an obsession.
bumpy

H___E
Explorer
Explorer
We shopped for 11 months and looked at several coaches and talked to other campers. We decided we wanted a diesel pusher either a Newmar or Tiffin. We ended up with a Newmar Dutch Star. Our coach is now 20 years old. Nothing Newmar has failed. We replaced, radiator and all hoses, tires, batteries, carpet and refrigerator in the past three years. We are completely satisfied with the coach. I don't know what material the roof is but it seems to be in very good condition.

The roof material should not be a decision factor. Floor plan, chassis type and quality should be.

Bruce_Brown
Bumpyroad wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:

bumpy

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:

bumpy

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm of the opinion that most, if not all, RVs are poorly designed and poorly built. I've had issues, some serious, with everything from a pop-up, Class As and Cs, and now the FW. OTOH, if they were built to better standards, I couldn't afford them.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

GeeWillakers
Explorer
Explorer
Elvis, I see you’re in Ottawa. You might look at a Triple E Commander (for gas) or Empress (for diesel) up to 2010 for a class a comparable mid to higher end Newmars.
2007 Triple-E Commander A3202FB W22 8.1 6spd Banks Power
2014 Jeep Wrangler JK toad, a Bug and a Frenchie

LandYacht35dies
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a couple of 70s units .... and I’ve been in a Beaver .....

huge Huge HUGE H U G E differences !

Cherry wood cabinets.... marble floors .... granite counter tops !

Bruce_Brown
Tell this guy how superior they are.

You can also do the search on how many Winnie roofs have come off, but I doubt you will. :B

Yes, some fiberglass roofs are very well made, some aren't.

You also lump TPO in with rubber - that is a very uneducated move, two completely different animals, and yes, I've had both - 2 with rubber and 3 with Brite-Tek.

Blackdiamond isn't the only one, our Brite-Tek (modified TPO) is 14+ years old now and still likes like the day it was installed.

As to the OPs question, look at the method of construction as well as the brands reputation. For our $$$ Newmar has been excellent and we've owned 3 of them. All 3 were bought new, you could count on one hand the number of issues we've had with all 3 combined.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Blackdiamond wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
is any of this $30 K difference because one has a fiberglass roof and the other rubber/TPO?
bumpy
Bumpy, what is your obsession with this. I have a TPO roof that is 19 years old and still in very good condition. I could care less if an RV has a fiberglass or TPO or whatever kind of roof as long as it hasn't been abused and has been maintained.

my "obsession" is that a fiberglass roof is superior to rubber, etc., and I would (and did) pay several thousand dollars extra for mine. that is why I gave the OP something to think about in making his cost comparisons.
I consider this to be more important than the eye candy that frequently gets mentioned here, such as a fake fireplace and a "J" sofa. and I would consider buying a TPO roof which is what you have had good luck with, but would not buy a rubber roofed one.
bumpy

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need to go look. Going from a class B to Class A is a world of difference.

I will speack Newmar. From their low end Class A say gas to thier high end gas is night and day. Now if you go Diesel low end to high their is another hugh jump. Our Mountain Aire compare to my neighbors and very good friends Winnebago and our other neighbor has a Bounder. The finish our Newmar was so much better than the Winnebago and the Bounder. The Winnebago quality of the inside was the poorest. The Bounder was better and the Newmar was the hand down the best. The difference in price was quite a bit from one to the other. Now these were 98, 99, and 2000 units. Have not look at any new units. Our replacement for the 99 was a diesel Wonderlodge LXI. There was not comparing it to the other three.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
In your example from a Flair to a Bounder I think they come off the same line made by the same people and same production processes. I don't really believe the Bounder at $40k more uses better FG or stronger adhesives to prevent delamination, better chassis parts to improve the ride or better appliances. I think the difference in price would be things that the Flair doesn't have like a fireplace, outdoor TV or kitchen, full body paint etc. If these things are not that important to you I would rather get the Flair and put the money into fixing the Mfg's defects and customizing the MH the way I want it. Just because you pay $40k more for a MH doesn't mean you will have less problems to fix.

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
is any of this $30 K difference because one has a fiberglass roof and the other rubber/TPO?
bumpy
Bumpy, what is your obsession with this. I have a TPO roof that is 19 years old and still in very good condition. I could care less if an RV has a fiberglass or TPO or whatever kind of roof as long as it hasn't been abused and has been maintained.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater