cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

cleaning tinted tempered glass

Skyfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
The side windows of the coach we bought has streaks that cannot be removed with: Windex, Simple Green, Dawn, or Vinegar. Tried fine steel wool, which helped but didn't remove completely. What is a safe way of removing them? Probably came from the rubber roof. Thanks, Lee
7 REPLIES 7

ronbiel
Explorer
Explorer
Skyfarmer wrote:
I just tried McGuiars Oxidation Remover..says its for gelcoat, but it worked on the windows.

Interesting. I thought this product is for gelcoat and fiberglass only.

30sweeds
Explorer
Explorer
This...

https://www.amazon.com/Mothers-07240-California-Gold-System/dp/B0002U2V1Y/ref=asc_df_B0002U2V1Y?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80539281984684&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584138859466219&psc=1

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
In reply to Durb's comment about steel wool scratching your glass, not if you use the correct wool. I am a sawdust maker and the father of a daughter with a mid-century modern home that has a lot of floor to ceiling windows and a lot of landscaping. There different grades of wool and different materials. I use 0000 bronze wool almost exclusively for finishing lacquer surfaces on things I build. I found an oxidation remover for glass that recommends bronze wool with their wash.

I also use a magnifying glass and inspect the wool for imperfections. When my wife's car was sprayed by a friends lawn sprinklers and spotted very badly, the detailer used steel wool on the windows.

You just need to be careful using any kind of metallic wool to clean anything.

Comment regarding steel wool on glass is from an unfortunate experience during my youth and my sister's '63 Ford Falcon.

I'm also a wood butcher and have never used bronze wool but I don't spray lacquer. My finish of choice on nice hardwoods is to use multiple coats of Watco Danish Oil after sanding with 1500 grit. I rub it down with 0000 steel wool and apply a fine wax.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
In reply to Durb's comment about steel wool scratching your glass, not if you use the correct wool. I am a sawdust maker and the father of a daughter with a mid-century modern home that has a lot of floor to ceiling windows and a lot of landscaping. There different grades of wool and different materials. I use 0000 bronze wool almost exclusively for finishing lacquer surfaces on things I build. I found an oxidation remover for glass that recommends bronze wool with their wash.

I also use a magnifying glass and inspect the wool for imperfections. When my wife's car was sprayed by a friends lawn sprinklers and spotted very badly, the detailer used steel wool on the windows.

You just need to be careful using any kind of metallic wool to clean anything.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Use Meguiars water spot remover, Harbor Freight 6" random orbital buffer and blue foam pad. Apply on slow speed then buff at high speed in two perpendicular directions. Wipe off haze to leave beautifully clean windows. Same process for super cleaning your windshield. Steel wool will scratch your windows.

Skyfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I just tried McGuiars Oxidation Remover..says its for gelcoat, but it worked on the windows.

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
I've had good luck with Mr Clean magic erasers. Of course, try it on a corner first, not the middle of a window.