cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Clogged Black Tank

travelRVforever
Explorer
Explorer
I think my black tank is clogged....pretty gross! Only a small tickle is coming out when the valve is open....Wondering if anyone has any tips on how to unclog this ??? Not looking forward to fixing this issue!
14 REPLIES 14

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
You gotta always have some water in there. That stuff will dry and turn to concrete or maybe it's crapcrete. Anyway, water is your friend.
I have added lots of water just to dump. I knew not much was in there but wanted to dump before getting home. I like to have a strong swoosh of a dump so add water, then dumped, add water again for another dump then add water again to go home.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is bad juju. In over 13 years of RVing I never had this problem as I paid extra attention to this possibility. Just lucky I guess.

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP must have fell in :B

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
Don't eat so much cheese.
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
Well, it appears he at least got it drained & forgot to come back.

Or he's still sputtering, spitting, and cleaning up.

We need to know.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two stories both true First the one I hand a hand in.
Toilet would not drain indicating tank full. only it was not it was empty
Toilet down pipe was clogged.

And now the other one Same symptom as you
Well he finally got the tank empty (He did not say how) and investigated.

Turns out the builder when they cut the hole in the floor to install the toilet down pipe rather than toss the half moon cuts in the nearby trash. Just dropped them into the tank... They were returned to the company CEO.

Now.. if you are sure it's not the toilet.... A "Porta Potty" service can suck out the tank. Then it might be possible to inspect with an endoscope (you can get 'em that plug into your cell phone)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I assume that you dont have a built in black tank sprayer. buy one,let tank slowly empty below area near tank top l drill a hole in the wall of the tank opposite the drain end that is slightly larger than the tank sprayer assembly. beg/borrow/or steal a pressure washer, jam it into the hole in the wall and blast away. then mount sprayer assembly.
bumpy

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing beats a hard drive with lots of turns IMO.

Don't I remember a post from you about replacing your valve in early August? The problem may stem from that work.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
As others have noted, make sure your valve is opening all the way. If it is, there are a couple of other possibilities. First (most likely) you have a big wad of TP sitting at the exit pipe in your black tank. Solution for this is to keep filling your black tank with water until it pushes the wad out. Second, you might have a tank cutout that floated to the exit pipe. For that you'll need to remove the valve, then remove the cutout with a pair of long nose pliers (messy job). Third, if you really do have a poop pyramid you could try a chemical like Tank Techs RX or a drain bladder like this (pushed down through the toilet): Drain Bladder
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
"IF" you have verified the valve is open and you think there's something stuck you can buy a cap for your outlet connection that also has a hose connection like this one.Sewer cap
You can then connect a garden hose and turn the water on just a bit and see if the water flows back into the tank. If it does you can turn it on a bit more and hopefully get whatever is there out. You will want 2 people so you can push the valve closed at the same time someone is shutting off the water and there will only be minimal mess.

From inside, if you open the toilet flush valve, can you see anything? If you pour a 5 gallon bucket of water down the toilet do you get 5 gallons out pretty quickly or is that where you only get a trickle?

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Did you verify that the tank valve is actually opening and not just opening a crack?
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are in a class A the first thing I would do is take a drive. It may slosh around and break things loose.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

try dumping WARM to HOT water directly into the toilet.... depending on how your plumbing runs, you MAY be able to use the "wand" but some drains make a quick bend and are not accessible with those..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camco Swivel Stick.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD