cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Colorado I-70

kemer
Explorer
Explorer
We're looking to drive from Denver across Colorado on Interstate 70 into Utah and onto Las Vegas. Would most likely be traveling around Oct 20th. Hopefully the snow will hold off. Can anyone give me an idea as to how the road is? We drive a 2014 Winnebago Sightseer 35G and tow a Pontiac Vibe on a dolly.

Thanks.....
15 REPLIES 15

carp65
Explorer
Explorer
The year we moved to Colorado, 1972, received 18" of snow in Littleton. After
about Oct.15, I would think it's a **** shoot!

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
kemer wrote:
We're looking to drive from Denver across Colorado on Interstate 70 into Utah and onto Las Vegas.

Interstate Highway so the road is GOOD - actually the drive is one of the more beautiful ones in the US, IMHO - Vail will be beautiful and might warrant a stop - just outside of Glenwood Springs you have the Over/Under Highway, paralleling the Colorado River, which is rated one of the most beautiful sections of the Interstate system - again I would Stop - In Utah we always Jump off at exit 214 and follow Rt 128 into Moab, again right along the banks of the Colorado River - leaving Moab you will pass many NP's and SP's that are more than worth the effort to stop and see in the cooler weather of the fall - last the section of I-15 that runs into Arizona along the Virgin River is again Special.

Would most likely be traveling around Oct 20th. Hopefully the snow will hold off.

Usually by that time of year the chances of snow are about one in ten so likely you will miss it, but even when it does snow I would not worry as the ground is still warm and it rarely will last more than a few hours, you need to remember that this is the main road through the ski areas of Colorado so when it does snow they make sure it is safe, and that traffic will move in October without issue.

Can anyone give me an idea as to how the road is?

Beautiful
Interstate
Scenic
Great Drive
Not to be Missed

We drive a 2014 Winnebago Sightseer 35G and tow a Pontiac Vibe on a dolly.

With your rig you will have little issue - you may slow down going up and you should slow down coming down from the Tunnel.

Thanks.....

CDOT Web Cams to hep you see all you want.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
On our first trip West we left Estes Park, CO in early October and headed west on I70 going to Moab. 36' DP pulling Ford Explorer. Beautiful road with stunning views. When we exited the Eisenhower tunnel headed west, it was snowing like mad and the temp had dropped to about 34. First sign I saw said something like 8% grade next 7 miles! Talk about pucker factor! I just fell in behind the trucks and kept it slow and all was fine. Ran out of snow at bottom of the grade.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

johngg
Explorer
Explorer
Take Amtrak. That's how I did it. Good luck have a great trip
I 15 going south had an area where The speed limit was 80. Be careful
And watch out for idiots.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
As you know, no one can predict the weather conditions...just keep checking the forecasts as you travel and hopefully you have some leeway in time that you could hunker down a day or two, if needed.

As you leave Denver you'll have the Eisenhower Tunnel area on I-70 and the elevation is 11,013'. You'll have approx. 8 miles of 5-7% grades with 2 escape ramps.

You'll also have Vail Pass at 10,503' you'll have 10+ miles up to 7% grade descent with 2 escape ramps.

You will be at very high elevations and snow/ice can happen. Be aware.

Personally, I'd drop down and take I-40 across. Where did you want to go in Utah?
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

gswcgi
Explorer
Explorer
Just came back going west over I-70 with a 36' DP towing a 4,500lb toad. Some very long and steep grades in Utah (I didn't go as far East as Colorado. Many grades peak at 7,500 to 8,000'. I have a CAT 3126E (330 HP & 820 ft. lbs. of torque) with a turbo and it was breathing hard at 7,500'++. Take the downgrades slow and don't ride your brakes. My Pac Brake was superb, as usual and only had to tap the service brakes occasionally. I took the longest/steepest grades at 40/45mph. The truckers weren't doing any better. Enjoy your trip.
'03 Safari, DP, 36" Nissan 4X4 toad

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
No problem, take the drive. It's actually the only route that makes any sense. If you are ready to leave and they say it's going to snow, wait. The next day the drive will be fine.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Leland2
Explorer
Explorer
Check weather online a few days out. You don't want to be going over Eisenhower Tunnel and Vail Pass if it's snowing though it's not cold enough for it to stick and be a real problem. Still, check the weather. Should be no problem.

NeverHome2
Explorer
Explorer
I-70 does get pretty steep in places and after you leave the Eisenhower Tunnel going west its steep going down towards Vail. Just lower your speed and brake judiciously going down and you should be OK. Do not try to stop as overheating the brakes will cause fade and loss of braking.

Please do not use big trucks as a gauge of proper speed. Trucks handle snow and ice much, much better than cars, pickups, travel trailers etc.

Have a great trip and a better time.
Lovin' Life!!!!

2005 HR Endeavor

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
Even if it snows, which is 50/50 going over the top, it will be fairly wet this time of year and the ground isn't frozen solid yet. So it will either be wet or slushy. The traffic is pretty heavy so there shouldn't be anything that extreme you can't pass in October.

Last Oct 12th (appox) I drove my MH over it and it snowed. Big wet flakes, no sticking.

I-70 is pretty steep in places, but east to west is just a lesson in patience as you will need to brake correctly. We do it a lot in our 40 footer with a Jeep in tow. No issues.

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Living in Colorado, I tow that route several times per year.

October 20th will likely be past most of the aspen colors, but you still will hit a little bit of it. October in Colorado is one of my favorite months.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take your time and I70 is an easy drive. Road was good when I crossed in August.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I-70 is a good road, some steep climbs in some of the stretches across Utah, but nothing impossible. October you could hit snow. I know that time of the year when deer season starts I have hit snow at times and other times it has been clear. Drive up to I-15 and head towards Vegas. Again you could hit snow anywhere up Beaver, Utah. Roads on I-15 are generally good.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

rdm1465
Explorer
Explorer
The I-70 is a pretty good road to use. Slight grade going up heading west. On the west side it becomes down slope. Not really an issue, unless you are not use to it.

I used I-70 in a pick up and it started to snow pretty good. So, I slowed down, because I did not know the road. Well, the truckers were passing me like I was standing still.