cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Considering purchasing a 2003 Monaco Diplomat 40 PWD

wyolincoln
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for experience with the Roadmaster platform, specifically the 8 air bag version. We are considering purchasing a 2003 Monaco Diplomat 40 PWD with two slides. It has subfloor damage in front of the sink in the kitchen from a water leak that was ignored for quite a while. Long enough for the subfloor under the tile to get spongy. The leak was thought to be from the kitchen drain line, but that is up for debate.
I am very handy and have no issues with removing the flooring and repairing the damaged sub flooring and the doing something different, like vinyl plank or engineered flooring.
My question has to do more with known issues in that model and year coach. Slide issues, trailing arm issues, engine issues, electrical, etc.
It has a Cummins 8.9 litre 330 HP diesel engine with the 6 speed Allison electronic transmission. It only has @ 52000 miles on the clock.
We are looking to live in this in a couple years and after we retire here in about two years. This gives us the next two years to repair, take short trips and test everything out before going full time.
I can probably get this coach for 20k out the door.
NADA low end retail is 32k.
It's in reasonably good cosmetic condition, roof looks good (couple small surface cracks here and there), slide seals are dry and small electrics and the like could use some attention.
Body is clean, but needs cleaned. Same with interior.
It starts and idles great. I have yet to run it down the road and I have yet to run the generator which has a about 2200 hours on it. So it sat a lot I think.
I just want to be sure I am not getting into a money pit.
It has new steering tires. Rear tires are old and will need replaced.
I am still on the fence on this.
I know Monaco is out of business... but I spoke with Cummins and any of their certified dealers would service the engine.
The drive train itself seems to have a good reputation. I don't know about the coach itself.
Any suggestions, recommendations, advice?
Please provide some of your experience and knowledge regarding this coach.
All the best.
Wyolincoln
Never stop learning.
18 REPLIES 18

wyolincoln
Explorer
Explorer
A follow-up question. Started demo. Was going to remove the fridge, but the electric valve on the tank is not shutting off the propane. I can feel and hear the valve move/click when I flip the switch located near the tank and I also manually shut it off by pulling the wire on the switch. It's a horizontal tank. Any suggestions?
I think I have this valve figured out. Will verify Saturday.
Never stop learning.

wyolincoln
Explorer
Explorer
Purchasing the rig this week. Start demo work on Saturday. Looking forward to getting this going. I have since found out that several owners have had to replace the subfloor on similar models and years. The particle board the factory used delaminates and causes the floor to buckle. I am relieved to know that several others have successfully replaced the sub floor.
Again, thanks to all for the advice and perhaps some day I'll see you on the road.
Cheers,
TL
Never stop learning.

wyolincoln
Explorer
Explorer
Yea, the fridge in this one is shot. Plan on changing to a small residential fridge.
Drove the rig hard Saturday. Ran like a stabbed rat, rode like a tour bus. Has a warning light on the dash. Did not have an adapter for the 6 pin connector to OBD2 reader, so no idea what it is. Perhaps a fluid level somewhere.
The right rear leveling jack does not descend. The front and left rear work fine. ABS light, ATC light. Nothing too scary.
Various and sundry broken wires, many things that need lubed, a slightly sleeping fuel tank... many projects... but I think I'm going to do this.
Thanks again to all for the info. Please keep on posting. Still learning.
Never stop learning.

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 2002 Monaco diplomat the weak link is the nor cold reefer, rebuilding mine next week everything else is quality. good luck
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Trailing arms are only on the RR4 chassis.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
That's a lot of coach for the money. I'm no expert but in doing some research a while ago I seem to remember people suggesting an oil analysis to check the health of the engine.

Of course, there are the expensive things you know about - tires, batteries, interior/exterior, etc. The main thing to me if I were looking at that coach would be to get as much inspection and information about the things you can't see right away - Mainly, the engine. But also the tranny and other drivetrain components.

norwestie
Explorer
Explorer
I owned a 2000 Dynasty 40" for 7 years. Recently traded it in on a 2010 Winnebago 42' tag axle. The older Dynasty drove down the road, handled crosswinds and just rode better than the newer coach. I love the Winnie but long for the better handling RV.
2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
2012 Ford Edge Limited toad

wyolincoln
Explorer
Explorer
Without forums like these, this would be a far more difficult and much less informed decision.
Again, thanks to all.
Wyolincoln
Never stop learning.

wyolincoln
Explorer
Explorer
Don and Mary,
Thanks for the insight. I called Monaco and they assured me that they still support (to some degree) the Roadmaster chassis, even the older ones like I am considering. Talk is cheap, but others seem to support this claim.
They also said that I could take it to any Freightliner service center and they would be capable of working on it. Which I suppose is true of anything. If you have enough money, you can get anything repaired.
I am going for another test drive Saturday and make the call then.
I intend to try and negotiate the price down a bit more both on what I can see that readily needs repaired as well as the obvious maintenance items I will need to have done right away.
So more reading and research and as always, I really appreciate the input and insight of the experienced RVers on forums like these.
All the best,
Wyolincoln
Never stop learning.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I owned a 2005 Diplomat for 10 years and was one of the best coaches I ever owned. You'll find that the 2003 Diplomat is something that you can work on. There is not a lot of exotic electrical, like in the slides and other moving components. The Roadmaster RR8R chassis is a great chassis and handles well. In the past few years, a group on the Monaco forum developed a set of bars for the rear end that makes the coach ride like it's on rails. I huge improvement on an old design.

The Roadmaster chassis is dead and gone. When the original Monaco went out of business in 2009, they were bought by Navistar who added their motors and then sold off the rights to Allied Group (Fleetwood) a few years later. Allied now owned the Roadmaster chassis rights, which would never be built again. Allied Group called a new product they produced a Monaco, but it was just a rebranded American Coach on a Freightliner chassis. There is no connection between the original Monaco and the current Monaco, other than the name on the side of the coach.

The good news, through all of the sales and bankruptcies, Monaco parts has stayed opened and maintained older coach records.

If you have no issue fixing the bad flooring, you'll find that the coach will be a pleasure to work on as it was made with a lot of quality.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

wyolincoln
Explorer
Explorer
Very interesting. Just did not want to get caught without being able to find parts if needed considering the age of the coach.

Thanks for the info. Will give Monaco a call. See what they say.

Wyolincoln
Never stop learning.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
NCC-1701 wrote:
wyolincoln wrote:
...but with Monaco being belly up, don't want to end up needing a widget that only they made. That too would be bad.

Monaco is not belly up. They were purchased by REV group along with Fleetwood RV, Holiday Rambler, American Coach, and Renegade RV.

https://www.monacocoach.com/

You may want to contact them to see what they may still support for parts from prior to their bankruptcy.

Heck Safari was bought by Monaco in 2003 and I can still get parts for mine. I have more problems getting parts from manufacturers that are still in business, like gaskets for my Norcold refrigerator.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
wyolincoln wrote:
...but with Monaco being belly up, don't want to end up needing a widget that only they made. That too would be bad.

Monaco is not belly up. They were purchased by REV group along with Fleetwood RV, Holiday Rambler, American Coach, and Renegade RV.

https://www.monacocoach.com/

You may want to contact them to see what they may still support for parts from prior to their bankruptcy.
"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

wyolincoln
Explorer
Explorer
OK. Very good information. Front tires are new, rear tires will need replaced. Local service shop will replace all fluids and filters including generator for about $1200.
All six batteries are new.

Taking it for a hard test drive Saturday morning. Want to be sure brakes and such are in good shape and that the air system has no issues. Also want to be sure there is no algae in the fuel. That would be bad.

Any comments to the Roadmaster Chassis this is running? 8 air bags outboard of the frame. Supposed to be a good chassis, but with Monaco being belly up, don't want to end up needing a widget that only they made. That too would be bad.

I may try to talk them down a bit more in price.
I've been told the coach is going to wholesale next week if I don't buy it, so I may be able to leverage that into a lower price.

We shall see.
Thanks to all for your comments.

Wyolincoln
Never stop learning.