cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Continental Tires

str8shooter_mn
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to replace original tires on our class A. 52,500 miles, nearly 8 years old. Currently have Goodyear G670 tires. I am considering replacing them with Continentals. Opinions welcome.
Thanks
14 REPLIES 14

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
str8shooter_mn wrote:
Looking to replace original tires on our class A. 52,500 miles, nearly 8 years old. Currently have Goodyear G670 tires. I am considering replacing them with Continentals. Opinions welcome.
Thanks

Sounds like a wise move and especially for the savings.
I do prefer truck over RV tires, as most brands are.
There's really nothing wrong with any of them, so it boils down to the money as always.
I don't like branding and paying for a name in anything.
Last time around we went with Hercules and have had them before, with excellent results.
Hercules is owned by Cooper and have been beating the pavement for a good 1/2 century or so.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've had Continental tires on various vehicles from about 1968, no problems. Usually this was because the manufacturer had a particular performance requirement that was met only by a particular Conti tire model. Brands are less relevant than making sure the tire model is appropriate for the application.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
The BF Goodrich ST230 is a good running tire. Robust, and also qualifies for the FMCA program because they're owned by Michelin. We had two Michelin XZE*'s damaged from a sever encounter with a deep sharp edged pot hole. This was during a Michelin tire shortage about 3 - 3 1/2 years ago no. Put the ST230's on the steers, and retained the balance of the XZE*'s (Age ~4.) on the Drive/Tag positions. Just swapped out the 6 XZE*'s last year, and moved the ST230's to the Tag position. (I shifted from 12R 22.5 to 295/80 22.5 so that I could try a set of XZA2's, which I also like. Confirmed with a shop I trust that the 12R's on the Tag portion would play nicely with the balance of the tires being 295/80's on our coach.)

I will also add that I was well aware of the ST230's, as they were in my short lists of tires to choose from when I first bought my used coach, that needed 8 new tires. Solid performer, and I believe a good bang for the buck.

That being said, I would price comparison them against the Hankook AH11 or AH12 (Depending on size.) - which I also feel are a good performing and priced tire. I would probably still run Michelin on the Steers, for the ride, but would not hesitate to put ST230's or Hankook's on the Rear/Tag positions. And if your front end ride is not sensitive, they would be fine for the Steers too:)!

Opinions will vary. Heck, some people prefer Chevy over Fords, or Dino over Synthetic - it takes all kinds of people to make a forum:)!

Best,
Smitty

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sure Continentals are a very good tire. I have also run Toyo and Sumitomo on my MH 245/75/22.5. Where I live in East Texas, I have found the Sumitomo to be the best price.. Just put on 6 for $1860.00 out the door. Wish you the best as getting a new set is not cheap. Arnold
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

str8shooter_mn
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to all who have replied. One other option I am considering is BF GOODRICH, BFGOODRICH 245/70R19.5 ST230 LRG.
Any opinions on those??

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
Had them on my previous coach as a replacement to good year..no issues and they were cheaper than Michelin..
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Mine are only 2 years old but no issues.

road_glide
Explorer
Explorer
6 years now on our HSR1's all around...from 16000 miles to 33000 so far good and wearing evenly. Watch tire pressures like a hawk....
2003 Safari Sahara 350HP Cummins ISC Allison 6 speed
Model 3753 - Triple Slide
2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 toad

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
Put 6 on last summer through FMCA and like the way they ride. By the way they were over $100.00 cheaper each than the Michilans at the sale price.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Conti's are excellent tires no mater what the application.

emiddleb
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced Michelin XZA3 on front and Goodyear G670s on rear with all Continental HSR2 Eco Plus last summer. No issues so far, pleased with them.
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Roadmaster Tow Dolly

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
You may also want to take a look at Bridgestones I just replaced 6 Bridgestones over 10 years old with sidewalls that still looked new.
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many of the tour buses in Canada use them
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Had them on our last coach-- no problems.

Be sure to check the FMCA pricing:https://site.fmca.com/fmca-tire-program

Click on "Continental" "get a quote".
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/