cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting from Dometic to residential refrigerator

brinson
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for recommendations of possibly switching from a Dometic to a residential refrigerator. The cooling unit has failed in the Dometic and now seems to be a good time. The Dometic is a RM 1350 and wondering if anyone has a particular unit that anyone has replaced it with. I typically always stay somewhere with shore power.
16 REPLIES 16

brinson
Explorer
Explorer
brinson wrote:
As best I can tell, it will not go through any opening including the windshield. I did talk to folks at Rvcool.com in Arkansas near me and they told me to remove the cooling unit and turn it upside down for 24 hours since my unit has no visible leak. They claimed they can become vapor locked and sometimes this will correct the problem.

I turned the entire refrigerator upside down for 24 hrs. and uprighted the unit today. I let it rest for 2 hrs and then wired it back up in the middle of the floor before reinstalling. The unit is cooling down and seems to be working well so far. Apparently, it had a vapor lock as Rvcool.com suspected.

brinson
Explorer
Explorer
As best I can tell, it will not go through any opening including the windshield. I did talk to folks at Rvcool.com in Arkansas near me and they told me to remove the cooling unit and turn it upside down for 24 hours since my unit has no visible leak. They claimed they can become vapor locked and sometimes this will correct the problem.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
brinson wrote:
I see what you guys are saying, doesn't look like you can replace the whole unit unless the slide is removed. Probably not what I would want to do.
Did you check to see if there is clearance through the windshield? This is a much better option than slide removal.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
You're right it was Shipshewana. We were there in June to pick up a scratch/dent for our truck camper and there were 2 buses and a large 5er parked out front getting serviced. They open at 7:30 am! We went through Elkhart to pick up the filon next then to Bontrager's Surplus.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
BurbMan wrote:
If you're up for a road trip, we found these guys at National RV Refrigeration in Elkhart, IN. If you make an appointment, they will repair your fridge in your RV while you wait.

Just an FYI, Leon Hershberger owns National Refrigeration and he is in Shipshewana. His business is now at his home just north of town and he can accommodate RV's.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
x2 they have a great rep. when mine goes bad ,I,m only two hundred miles away.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're up for a road trip, we found these guys at National RV Refrigeration in Elkhart, IN. If you make an appointment, they will repair your fridge in your RV while you wait.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Youtube
‘Dometic RM1350 cooling unit replacement’

brinson
Explorer
Explorer
2nd option would be a new cooling unit. Any experience with replacement units?

brinson
Explorer
Explorer
I see what you guys are saying, doesn't look like you can replace the whole unit unless the slide is removed. Probably not what I would want to do.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Consider your access options with the refer doors removed. Larger window including frame removal and windshield access. And a slide out as a last resort.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
The pros/cons of traveling with a residential fridge are discussed in that thread, but the OP here has the added complexity of having to swap it out.
Thank you for your contribution to the subject matter. I'm sure he'll have other questions.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Similar post

That post is about having a residential fridge installed as a factory option, not removing an existing absorption fridge and replacing it with a residential model.

The pros/cons of traveling with a residential fridge are discussed in that thread, but the OP here has the added complexity of having to swap it out.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Similar post
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman