cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crater Lake

Berner2
Explorer
Explorer
Heading up to Oregon in Sept. we would like to spend a couple days around Crater Lake. This is our first time at Crater Lake and we don't know anything about the area. Can we stay right at the lake etc. We are looking for suggestions for RV parks and attractions in the surrounding area. We will have a toad so there won't be transportation issues.

Thanks, Terry
10 REPLIES 10

sfo1969
Explorer
Explorer
I would stay at crater lake resort. it is a vary nice rv park with full hook ups. Close to FT Klamath on Hwy 62. you can review it at craterlakeresort.com excelant rv park.

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
Do you like to fish? If so try the Water Wheel RV park in Chiliquin OR, it's right on the Williamson River. About 50 feet from you front door to fishing. Even if you don't like to fish, the setting is beautiful. The park is nothing fancy, but does have full hook ups and WiFi. The setting is beautiful.......it's just off the hiway. It's an easy 35 miles or so drive up to Crater Lake. Check out Train Mountain online too.......it's just a couple miles up the road from the Water Wheel.
Brian

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the official link for the park. It gives lots of good information.

Crater Lake Nat'l Park

There is a campground in the park and some sites have hookups.

Check on the closing date as it gets a LOT of snow.

If you don't want to stay in the park I would suggest one of these state parks:

Collier Memorial on Hwy 97.
Joseph H. Stewart State Recreation Area on Hwy 62.

Both highways are excellent for RVs. Depends which direction you're coming from. If from I-5, take 62 toward Prospect, OR.

Have a great trip. It's awesome to see!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
We've been there many times. There is just something majestic about the lake. It's really a full one day trip or leisurely two day visit. I would camp at Diamond Lake or in Grants Pass. I think it's about an hour drive from Grants Pass.

You can use your toad to drive around the rim. There is a lodge and visitor's center. On one side there is a parking lot with a zigzag trail down to the lake where you can take a boat ride. It's a pretty good hike, so make sure you're up to it. There is no other contact with the lake.

If you stay in Grants Pass, you have access to either rafting or jet boating the Rogue River. The Oregon Caverns are also nearby and very nice day trip.

You could easily spend three to four days in that area and have plenty to do.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

aerbus32
Explorer
Explorer
You won't be staying on the lake or even have a view of it. The park's campground used to have a unique color coding at the sites to help campers choose a site appropriate for their rig. Campground reviews suggest they still do. We tried to visit last September, but fires changed that. Probably try again this fall. We plan on staying at Crater Lake RV park because it has full hookups.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Down the hill to the east is Collier Memorial State Park with camp ground and a decent logging museum across the road. Worth a stop even if you dont camp there.

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
We have been to Crater Lake twice. Once with our TT and truck and once with our long Class C motorhome. We didn't have a toad so we actually toured the whole park in the Class C. We had no problems with parking at any place we wanted to stop. It was very nice to have a bathroom and kitchen with us because the services inside the park are sparse. Eating our meals with a panoramic view outside the window was great. We didn't sleep in the park we stayed at Crater Lake RV park in Pioneer which is to the south.
FMCA member

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
There is a CG inside the national park, which I believe is run by a concessionaire. No hookups, and sites may be small (it's been about 20 years since we were there, and we had a popup at the time, so no issues with campsite size then). I would strongly advise reservations. The CG does not have a view of the lake.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Not_a_Clue
Explorer
Explorer
When we were in the area to see Crater Lake we stayed in Grants Pass and also took advantage of the jet boat ride on the river.

We took a day trip to Crater Lake.
Linda B.
Our Blog
2009 29' Fleetwood, Fiesta V10 - The Little Bus
2008 Saturn Vue (Toad)with US Gear UBS
& Demco baseplate and tow bar.
FMCA# F412985
Traveling with Robin(friend)& Buddee(cavalier)

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
there is no camping on the lake
the closest rv park is at diamond lake about 11 easy miles away
it is a nice park but very busy so reservation are advised(we were there 2 weeks ago and it was full)
http://www.diamondlakervpark.com/