cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Crazy static pop while waxing/cleaning motorhome

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
I sometimes clean the outside of our motorhome with Wash-N-Wax all using microfiber towels. We have a new RV garage with concrete floors, and still waiting for the electricity to be hooked up. So we have the unit plugged in with an 10 gauge extension cord to the house 120v outlet just to keep the batteries charged. Lately while using the wash-n-wax all, the towels build up a huge static charge and I get POPPED bigtime when I wipe over a metal object (a bin door lock, or screw). It pops me really hard too.
Is there anyway that I can make this reduced?
1. Ground the motorhome to the building better?
2. Wax with barefoot?
??? looking for ideas to get rid of this annoying problem.
11 REPLIES 11

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
In your house circuit the ground and neutral circuits are tied together in the main electrical panel. IF the OP had his coach plugged in with a power cord that included hot, neutral, and ground wires, this effectively grounds the coach. IF the power cord did not include all of the necessary wires, the ground could be open because in an RV the neutral and ground wires are not tied together in the electrical panel.
A static shock is a one time thing that dissipates the voltage (usually very high voltage) in a split second. It can return if you are away from the coach and allow the static charge to build up. But once a static shock happens, you should be able to hold your hand on that surface with no discomfort. If the shock or tingle persists, then there is electrical power that is involved coming from the house circuit and needs to be corrected before someone gets hurt.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I"m still waiting on him to get back with the Three Light Test.

OH I had a trailer once where the prior owner swapped the hot and neutral wires.

Yup. it zapped me

I fixed. (You hook the lighter color wire to the bright screw and the darker wire to the copper screw.. I mean how hard is that to screw up. Green to green in case you wonder about that one.... Well..... story 2 follows.

Finally got central air installed when they went to charge it fuses -a- popping. Turns out the kid who wired it... Black wire to green screw and the other way around.... (HOT to Ground short)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
My Prevost coach had a 1.5" x 18" rubber strip that hung down from under the chassis midship touching the ground. At 63,000 miles when I sold it, it was still touching the ground but does wear-out over time and is replaced when needed at a service interval.

That pop is just not normal (I'm not an electrician or gear-head). I have waxed my two previous class-A's while plugged-in, in low humidity, and that never happened to me.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
kmb1966 wrote:
... I get POPPED bigtime when I wipe over a metal object (a bin door lock, or screw). ...

You are getting popped because there is a conductive path to Earth Ground just as there should be. Only solution is to wear a conductive bracelet and wire from your body parts (ie wrist or ankle) to Earth/Ground/Chassis so you do not build a static charge.

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
See if it does it with the rig unplugged, if it doesn't and only does it with the rig plugged in you may have what's called hot skin on the RV. And it could be enough to kill you.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely check out the ground and fix it if necessary. However, why not just unplug the motorhome and see if the same thing happens?

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy
Cat C7

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
For safety reasons, I would first assume it is a bad ground. Confirm or rule it out for your life's sake.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m going with static charge from the micro fiber towels. Try hanging a chain from the frame to the concrete,
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I second the bad ground. Use a TLT (Three Light Tester) link to a sample below. You can get 'em in a lot of places. Wal-Mart and competitors, Hardware stores, many Supermarkets, some gas stations and auto parts stores to list but a few.
Home depot and lowes (of course) link is to Home Depot.

3 light outlet tester

Test both ends of cord and any NON GFCI outlet in the RV (Test GFCI ones too)

Two green lights = good. except for the GFCI (Where you may get but one Green) any other configuration = Bad.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
If you you have low humidity in your area, it is probably just static electricity from the action of wiping. Maybe touch a metal part while wiping.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
sounds like a bad ground to me.