cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crock pot cooking while traveling?

Bosun
Explorer
Explorer
My wife picks up our new Class A motorhome tomorrow (I'm working for another 10 days out of town). This is our first r/v with an inverter. My question is if we can put a crock pot cooking going down the road without having to fire up the generator? Cajun Red beans and rice and smoke sausage would be mighty tasty after a days drive! Does anyone else do a little slow cooking while running?

Thanks

Patrick
Patrick
Semper Paratus
34 REPLIES 34

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Bosun wrote:
My wife picks up our new Class A motorhome tomorrow (I'm working for another 10 days out of town). This is our first r/v with an inverter. My question is if we can put a crock pot cooking going down the road without having to fire up the generator? Cajun Red beans and rice and smoke sausage would be mighty tasty after a days drive! Does anyone else do a little slow cooking while running?

Thanks

Patrick

Crock pot shouldn't be a problem with whatever you're getting for an inverter or battery power.
The thing will be with what outlets are inverter powered and many times they won't be with the galley area, so once this is figured out, you may need an extension cord and this cord should be of decent size and somewhat better than just a lamp type cord.
For some length, I'd like having at least #14awg and for keeping the voltage drop at a minimum, if for nothing else.
We have a 2KW inverter on 4 group 24, 12v batteries and the galley is not supposed to be on them, but so happens it is, as is the rest of the house outlets. This turned out to be a pleasant surprise and we've put them to good use with the coffee pot and such. Microwave as well, but then, this appliance was supposed to be energized on this circuitry, anyway.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

toolttime
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing like the smell of barbecue ribs in the crock while traveling down the road
2015 Thor Tuscany 45AT

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
They have several different sizes of crock pots. We use the small one and put it in the sink. There is ONE HUGE PROBLEM with having it cook while underway. The SMELL! Makes me licking my lips every few seconds and wanting to stop to taste it.....just sayin....:B....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

edm3rd
Explorer
Explorer
My oldest crockpot, 3.5 quart round, has specs of 75 watts on low, and 150 on high. Rival does not list wattage on the product or in the manual anymore.

lonewolf80
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've only used the crock pot while driving a couple of times, yes in the sink, but I put a non-slip mat, dollar store, under the feet so it doesn't slide around in the sink. Also used a couple of dish towels around the base to further buffer it. Wouldn't put towels around the sides, my older pot gets to hot to touch the outer surface. I use a large heavy rubber band stretched across the lid from handle to handle to hold it on while in use going down the road.

bobbin_nail
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, That's a great suggestion about the Thermal Cooker. We have one. We stay in areas, like Yellowstone, where there is no electricity. It is so nice to put dinner in the cooker before going out sightseeing and hot food is ready when we come in tired, chilly and hungry. Rolling down the road, thermal cooker sitting on the floor in the closet cooking dinner. No electricity, no sloshing over, no aromas, no breakage, no burns from touching the outer container and no...I'm not a seller...just a happy user. If you use a crock pot frequently
check this cooker out. Ours is a Thermos brand.
b c n u, bobbinail

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
DonBaja wrote:
All you need is aluminum foil, salt, pepper, and an exhaust manifold.

We do that all the time while 4-wheeling with the Jeep. Lunch is ready and hot. We've never had anything fall off no matter how rough the trail is. We had folks very envious while they were eating their cold ham sandwich and we had a hot pulled pork sandwich!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

happycamper002
Explorer
Explorer
I've read some conflicting comments about running the inverter for fridge or slow cooker. Although most of the comments say it's okay, I've read also saying not OK.

I've been running my 300W fridge on the run through my 1500W inverter via house battery but not on extending run exceeding more or less two hours... which I usually stop to stretch.

I have two paralleled 12v volts batteries to do this but I'm anxious whether I could keep doing this on say six hours or more of driving without depleting the batteries completely. Although it may not hurt to leave it (I think) fully discharged before reaching my destination.

Some comments say the alternator should be able to makeup for the demand but other say it won't. My alternator came with my Class A rig which I assume it may be generic.

So my question is: does anyone encountered any issue by running the fridge or slow cooker (not both) the whole time regardless the travel time?

Thanks

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Mandalay Parr wrote:
I put mine in the sink. NO towel. Might cause it to over heat.
Works good.
X-2

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
The last post makes me want go out and weld a steel plate on my Banks exhaust headers

DonBaja
Explorer
Explorer
Crock Pot => Crackpot.

All you need is aluminum foil, salt, pepper, and an exhaust manifold. I have a paperback book (Manifold Destiny) chock full of recipes for low and slow motorhome cooking, whether it is last night's Lasagna or today's roadkill. Turn the generator off so you can talk to each other about the romantic feast that's being prepared especially for you by that Cummins C Series back aft.

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Johnny G1 wrote:
Crock pot in the sink and oven on @ the same time, save's waiting for supper when we stop, you usually need a good inverter for the crock pot as our's can draw 1500 watts.

That must either be a huge crock pot or a dual/multipurpose device (that can also serve as e.g. a fryer or roaster or something). Typical dedicated crock pots are around 300 watts, maybe a bit more in the really big sizes. It is, of course, still a very good idea to check one's own appliances vis-a-vis the v=capacity of one's inverter.
Yes it is a dual purpose oven and roaster,1425 watts and yes we have a small crock pot also 200 watts but it don't hold much, a small bird but not a whole chicken.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

We purchased a Nissan Thermal cooker when we first started fulltiming. It works great while your traveling, and we especially like it when we are boomdocking. No electric needed 110 or 12 volts. Just heat it up and the Thermal cooker does the rest. Cost more than a crock pot but we have diffently got our monies worth out of it and then some.

Nissan Thermal Cooker

"Happy Yrails"
Chiefneon

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Johnny G1 wrote:
Crock pot in the sink and oven on @ the same time, save's waiting for supper when we stop, you usually need a good inverter for the crock pot as our's can draw 1500 watts.

That must either be a huge crock pot or a dual/multipurpose device (that can also serve as e.g. a fryer or roaster or something). Typical dedicated crock pots are around 300 watts, maybe a bit more in the really big sizes. It is, of course, still a very good idea to check one's own appliances vis-a-vis the v=capacity of one's inverter.