cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dead Onan Generator

Mr__Pinky
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2004 Dutch Star 3810 with a 7500 Onan Generator. It wouldn't fire or buzz when I tried to start it. I took it to a generator repair facility and after being charged $900 to remove and diagnose it, I am told it will cost around $9,700 for parts to repair it or around $11,000 to replace it with a new one.
This is way out of my range and I am at a loss as to what to do. I have serviced and exercised it regularly and it last ran in March.
Does anyone know of a reputable place to look for a used, rebuilt one?
"STUFF" HAPPENS, GET OVER IT
10 REPLIES 10

atsrmf
Explorer
Explorer
Unless your generator threw a rod or busted a crankshaft there's no way that repairs can add up to 80% of the cost of a new generator. RUN from that repair facility!
A generator consists of an engine and an alternator. BOTH componants didn't fail at the same time.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Where are you located?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
$900 just to diagnose it? Why would they have to remove it to diagnose? It ran fine 6 months ago; you are clearly getting ripped off, massively.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Mr. Pinky wrote:
I have a 2004 Dutch Star 3810 with a 7500 Onan Generator. It wouldn't fire or buzz when I tried to start it. I took it to a generator repair facility and after being charged $900 to remove and diagnose it, I am told it will cost around $9,700 for parts to repair it or around $11,000 to replace it with a new one.
This is way out of my range and I am at a loss as to what to do. I have serviced and exercised it regularly and it last ran in March.
Does anyone know of a reputable place to look for a used, rebuilt one?

Youโ€™re clearly getting ripped off. Quit being a sucker and work through the issues objectively. Itโ€™s a simple generator not a nuclear reactor. Even when polling the internet like you are now, you need to be at least adjectivally involved and somewhat knowledgeable. Or youโ€™ll continue to get ripped off by choosing to be blissfully unaware.

This assuming your diagnosis of โ€œwould t fire or buzzโ€ was not some code for it windowed the block or some other catastrophic failure.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Visone RV Parts might have something that works for you.

Onan generators for sale
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
https://rvmp.co/collections/flex-power
-jbh-

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
What specifically is wrong with it-- what parts are they replacing for the $9,700 estimate.

Without knowing that, we would just be guessing in terms of suggestions.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
OI too will go with Second opinion.. But in the meantime.....

Pick up a portable.. like a Honda or Yahama (or other) Inverter generator.
Most over 3500 watts will be dual voltage 120/240 and have a 30 amp twist lock (or larger if bigger) Get a matching "Pigtail" (Cord) long enough to wire it into your RV's generator in junction box.... Now... Make sure of two things.

ONE Generator exhaust points AWAY from RV

Two. Genertor is secured to discourage it growing legs and walking off.

It may be possible to "mount" it in the RV's generator compartment. At least Temp mount.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get a second opinion.
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mr. Pinky,

A common piece of advice I read on these forums is to find a good mobile RV mechanic and have them look at the situation. I think they would be more likely to just fix or replace the part or parts that need fixing rather than sell you a whole new unit. If nothing else, you'd be getting a second opinion.

Good Luck,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.