cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dealing with Dealership in todays Market

jayhardy
Explorer
Explorer
Im looking to buy Class A this spring and im wondering if I have any leverage. In selling my house i got several offers at asking price and sold over asking. Say the Class A is $300k, should i offer $10-$15 less or bite the bullet. Its been years since i bought. Thx in advance
9 REPLIES 9

Alex_and_Tee
Explorer
Explorer
We ordered our new Tiffin Allegro36LA on March 31, 2022. We negotiated a 22% discount at that time. With the way we optioned it the list was just over $229,000, we paid $180,000. Under normal conditions we probably could have gotten closer to 30% off. Iโ€™m more disappointed with the build quality then the deal.
Alex & Teresa

2022 Allegro Open Road
2021 Colorado 4x4

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
If you want any leverage, dont wait for spring.
Winters cold is your friend right now.

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
It is a hot market. We bought our 2006 diesel pusher in March of 2020. NADA average retail on our unit is more than $20,000 higher today than it was then.
35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
jayhardy wrote:
Probably 2/3 years old

That being the case, forget percentage discounts. An individual seller can ask whatever they want for their RV, be it too high, too low, or just right. Do your due diligence and know book values (NADA) before you go look at it. If it's nice, and fits your needs, pay what you're comfortable with, being aware of current book values as a guide.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

jayhardy
Explorer
Explorer
Probably 2/3 years old

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
New or used?

Huge difference in the answer to your question.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Find one you like. Make an offer 20% below asking out the door and see what happens but if your going to pay cash donโ€™t discuss it. Dealers make money on financing.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's winter time....you have the ball. Run with it. Sales of RV's in ND and Montana might not be as brisk as Florida and California....so, look nationwide for a GREAT deal, and be ready to fly out there to drive it back. You'll save tens of thousands of dollars.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
jayhardy wrote:
Im looking to buy Class A this spring and im wondering if I have any leverage. In selling my house i got several offers at asking price and sold over asking. Say the Class A is $300k, should i offer $10-$15 less or bite the bullet. Its been years since i bought. Thx in advance

For almost 2 years it has been a SELLER's market. Dealers get what they want and buyers have little leverage. You want to negociate? Fine, but the dealer know he has a buyer around the corner for the dealers price. Dealers until recently had NO STOCK to sell. Used or new. But, with OEM's building record numbers and dealers finally getting stock at the lots, there may be a BIG difference in the spring. I personally think that the boom(Caused by Covid and lock downs) will go away this spring/summer and ALL those units the dealers are stocking up on will cause a big price drop. Coupled with the HORRIBLE lack of quality control(and on current production), in the past 2 years, I think the RV industry has shot itself in the foot. There were record numbers of newbies to the RV lifestyle, due to Covid lock downs and coupled with the horrible quality control and lack of replacement parts, I think there will be a drastic sell off of those units sold and there will be a glut of used on the market in the next few years. Doug (In the RV new/used service industry for 40 plus years)

So, this spring may be a good time to buy, just not in the next few months.