cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Depressing but a must read for all RV'ers...

road_glide
Explorer
Explorer
This is why we all do RVing....

And so there must come an end...
2003 Safari Sahara 350HP Cummins ISC Allison 6 speed
Model 3753 - Triple Slide
2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 toad
17 REPLIES 17

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
road glide wrote:
This is why we all do RVing....

And so there must come an end...

For me, this is why I have belief in Jesus Christ. But we should spend every day as our last! Make the most of life.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
As I sit here 3 1/2 years into my fight against cancer I am so glad I was able to quit work at age 52 and travel (9 months/year) for 10 years. Lot's of memories from those years on the road. Had I waited until "retirement" age (I'm nearly 66 now) we would never have had all those experiences. The good news is I'm now 17 months cancer free.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

royl
Explorer
Explorer
That is the reason we started fulltiming early, Our best friend died from cancer three weeks after he was diagnosed. I too am a cancer patient. We had planned to start when I reached 65 but when diagnosed I was only 57, we sold our house 3 months later, bought the best motorhome we could afford and hit the road. We have no regrets and are enjoying every minute of it. Sure we have to workamp to afford it and still keep a little money in reserve but we love camphosting so all is well. The doctors have given me between 5 and ten years from when I was diagnosed so we are doing what we want and enjoying however much time we have left together. I too tell everyone who tells me they would like to fulltime one day, why not now before it is too late.
Roy & Sabine
2000 Coachman Classic 27 RK Fifthwheel
1992 Dodge D250

road_glide
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
Instant perspective as I was sitting here wondering whether it's worth the hassle to get the RV ready for a weekend trip with the kids. Not wondering anymore.

Bravo and kudos to you and your loved ones!
2003 Safari Sahara 350HP Cummins ISC Allison 6 speed
Model 3753 - Triple Slide
2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 toad

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
I've just finished reading "The Last Lecture", which tells the story of a college professor of "Virtual Reality" (a computer specialization) at Carnegie-Mellon University. He died in his mid 40's of severe pancreatic cancer, leaving behind a wife and three young children.

It's a very uplifting story and well worth the time to read it.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
From this Blog... A cry, and a smile.... ๐Ÿ™‚

I've posted before that the purchase of our RV was a bit early in our "plan." My wife and I have been "planning" to get a nice used coach when I retire in about 5 years. We've been going to RV shows and camper lots looking and dreaming, but that dream, even though we were "planning," seemed so far away and unreachable. About 2 weeks before we discovered our coach for sale, my wife was having a conversation over a glass of wine with a friend of ours about our retirement plans to purchase a coach and go see the country. Our friend turned silent and communicated that that was also her and her husband's "plan"...right up until he died unexpectedly of a heart attack about 5 years before he retired. Her words of advice to us were, "Don't Wait" and my wife and her shared a few tears before they parted. Literally, two weeks later, we were sitting at the bank making arrangements to buy the coach that we now have when it divinely appeared in a driveway less than three blocks from my house, where I pass by EVERY day on my way to and from work, from an elderly couple that I've known my entire life, with a For-Sale sign in the front window. Again, it was not in my "plan" but I guess sometimes "plans" need to be modified.

My condolences to the writer's family, and my heartfelt thanks for the reminder that we did the right thing!!

The future is known to no one.........
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
i have unfortunately (or is it fortunately) sat in the lobbies of MD Anderson Cancer Center quite a bit recently and as i look around its the families and friends (that are in attendance w/ the patients) that seem to be struggling w/ the seriousness of their loved ones diagnoses and uncertain fate.

It seems to me that its the friends and families are the ones that suffer the most when it comes to cancer....patients get treated and are prescribed meds for pain. Cancer patients have closure (one way or another)....but loved ones suffer much longer.

Too often I meet people (when traveling in our RV) who say "when I retire i want to get an RV and travel around".....i respond and recommend that they NOT WAIT....do it now, while they can...because retirement (or life long enough to retire is not guaranteed !

may GOD Bless Charlotte (and the loved ones she's left behind) and may they all rest in peace and comfort.
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Amazing read.
Like many my age, I have had many people around me die. Mostly relatives but some friends as well. This has made me appreciate our position ie, we're healthy, have the time and funds to enjoy life so we do as much as we can. Now.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Instant perspective as I was sitting here wondering whether it's worth the hassle to get the RV ready for a weekend trip with the kids. Not wondering anymore.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
A good job of putting priorities into perspective.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
What a wonderful farewell letter for the family to read forever.

Yes, I am VERY glad I gave up the rat race and hit the road RV'ing to really enjoy life. It is something that I will always treasure even after I pull off the road.

My original signature was this saying which is what motivated me to change directions in my life:

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

As I age going down the road RV'ing, I recently changed my signature to what is below! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

outdoorlovers
Explorer
Explorer
Hug your family and embrace life!!!!!
2012 Dodge Ram 2500, Cummins turbo diesel, 6 speed, 4X4, tow package
2014 Jayco FW Eagle HT 26.5 RLS
Yamaha EF2400iS gen

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
It was nice she chose to be at home, surrounded by loved ones, rather than in a hospital bed hooked up to machines.
Very classy blog that can teach everyone who reads it something about life, and make us remember to cherish the things of true importance.
Thank you for posting it.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I like the perspective she had for working:
Find a job you enjoy, but don't become a slave to it. You will not have 'I wish I'd worked more' on your headstone.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point