cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DH is concerned because our Coachmen Mirada has no bumpers

susanka
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, everyone. We recently bought a 2011 Coachmen Mirada 29DS. DH is concerned because it has no bumpers and the face is one piece of fiberglas. I haven't been able to find a source, googling RV bumpers, and don't see that it was even an option on the 2011 Mirada. I'd appreciate any advice you can offer on how to find a bumper at a decent cost. Thanks.
30 REPLIES 30

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
In 07 we saw couple from California that hit an Elk in Colorado, in their new coach.
A cowcatcher or some other style would be simply a great idea. We need more weight on the front.
I'm sure it would take, some custom work and expensive work, to adapt one designed for a Freightliner to the mh. One hit by an elk, cow or car would pay for it though.
The NHTSA idea, of extensive and expensive body work,air conditioner, generator, and weak frame, for crash safety defies logic.

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
not if I am toting a 5th wheel.

oneolddog wrote:
Jim@HiTek wrote:
Speaking only for my own Freightliner chassis, there's a diesel 7500 watt generator in the middle front making somewhat of a crumple zone, then there's the (admittedly minimal) drivers surround that FL uses on their diesel chassis. Floor plate, collapsing steering wheel shaft, roadside steel framing, etc.. And of course, the entire front end is attached to two heavy I beams running the entire length of the RV that support the engine. Couple that with the living room slide, when retracted, sort of shielding the driver from the back with a wall.

Couple all that with the fact that a large class a is very obvious to other drivers, I feel pretty safe as it is.

jorbill2or's insight based on expirience is very helpful...

In an 'offset' collision the generator upfront won't help you. Offset collisions are always the worse in any vehicle but if I had a choice I'd rather be in my pick-up truck than most Class A's.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

oneolddog
Explorer
Explorer
Jim@HiTek wrote:
Speaking only for my own Freightliner chassis, there's a diesel 7500 watt generator in the middle front making somewhat of a crumple zone, then there's the (admittedly minimal) drivers surround that FL uses on their diesel chassis. Floor plate, collapsing steering wheel shaft, roadside steel framing, etc.. And of course, the entire front end is attached to two heavy I beams running the entire length of the RV that support the engine. Couple that with the living room slide, when retracted, sort of shielding the driver from the back with a wall.

Couple all that with the fact that a large class a is very obvious to other drivers, I feel pretty safe as it is.

In an 'offset' collision the generator upfront won't help you. Offset collisions are always the worse in any vehicle but if I had a choice I'd rather be in my pick-up truck than most Class A's.
2009 Allegro Bus 36QSP (Sold March 2011)

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
susanka wrote:
Hi, everyone. We recently bought a 2011 Coachmen Mirada 29DS. DH is concerned because it has no bumpers and the face is one piece of fiberglas. I haven't been able to find a source, googling RV bumpers, and don't see that it was even an option on the 2011 Mirada. I'd appreciate any advice you can offer on how to find a bumper at a decent cost. Thanks.

Are ya sure, there's not a bumper on the inside. Doesn't prevent body damage and most never did, except with cars in the olden days. That said, vehicles are safer on impact nowadays than they ever were.
Anyway you look at it, the cars you might unfortunately encounter out there, are going to get the worst of it. However, I would avoid hitting a big truck head on, at all costs.
As for installing an after market product on the outside for any reasonable cost and for making it look right, as well, I can only say that I wish you the very best of luck in that endeavor.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Jim
Explorer
Explorer

Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
3oaks wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:
The best bumper is just don't hit anything. Seriously, if you need a bumper I think you'll have bigger issues then not having one.
:R

Not a very logical reply. Didn't it ever occur to you to think about negligent drivers and other vehicles hitting you. Low impact hits in parking lots come to mind, among others.

Skip the snarky reply and think about it! :S

Wow...bad day? :B

That remark wasn't "snarky", it was logical - and a bit tongue in cheek too. :w If you're running around parking lots hitting things you shouldn't be driving.

If someone else hits you the damage is on them, and you have bigger concerns than no bumpers.

So one parking lot accident and your license is revoked for life?

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

mc_cc
Explorer
Explorer
I have not seen official bumpers on any rig. You can have one fabricated by a good welding shop. I did see a rig one time where the owner had a hitch receiver welded to the frame on the front and had a fabricated bumper with lights mounted to it. He could remove it to wash behind it, etc. I have considered having this done myself.
Mark

susanka
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your insight! We're not concerned a lot; just our old Fleetwood had a bumper and DH thought the new one should also.

Your report about the cabinets and furniture is very interesting! He's an excellent driver and a pilot as well, so we have some choices.

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Racine96 wrote:
As I was thinking about a Class A or Class C, I guess this is an issue to think about it.

Yes If you are concerned a lot about safety a C will meet "van" safety standards, an A not so much. The A has more Mass so can tend to push lighter objects out of the way and that's good. However, I've had the opportunity to witness some RV crashes in all the years I drove Truck and the A doesn't fair well in a major crash. Not only does the fiberglass give a lot, All those cabinets and furniture (on tha point same with the C) tend to end up in the drivers area.I saw and assisted at a few wrecks I came upon. Most came out ok but there were a couple of them that weren't good to look at.Almost all had major interior disarray. But the same can be said of the many big truck accidents Thank Goodness none involved me personally.
Even seeing all that, I still Drive and enjoy the class A that I have and don't think about it much! If I did obsess too much I'd just Fly (safer) and stay in hotels but the trade off is worth it to me!
Bill

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
As I was thinking about a Class A or Class C, I guess this is an issue to think about it.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
You could add a "cow catcher" type bumper/grille like you see on trucks sometimes. Probably wouldn't really help in a crash but would make DW feel better.

Might be too heavy.
-jbh-

Bruce_Brown
3oaks wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:
The best bumper is just don't hit anything. Seriously, if you need a bumper I think you'll have bigger issues then not having one.
:R

Not a very logical reply. Didn't it ever occur to you to think about negligent drivers and other vehicles hitting you. Low impact hits in parking lots come to mind, among others.

Skip the snarky reply and think about it! :S

Wow...bad day? :B

That remark wasn't "snarky", it was logical - and a bit tongue in cheek too. :w If you're running around parking lots hitting things you shouldn't be driving.

If someone else hits you the damage is on them, and you have bigger concerns than no bumpers.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

oneolddog
Explorer
Explorer
If you look what is behind the façade on most diesel pushers you will see a bunch of nothing between you and the fiberglass. There is a huge bunch of false security. If you want real protection from a front end collision you would have to buy a Prevost conversion or a Bluebird etc.
2009 Allegro Bus 36QSP (Sold March 2011)

soren
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
PastorCharlie wrote:
This is the chassis under your MH and notice that it has a bumper. It is behind the front cap.

That is NOT a bumper as concerns this thread. That steel plate is WAY behind the front cap and they do not install any additional supports from that steel plate and the front cap. Doug

LOL, on my F53 Winny, that piece is at least 18" behind the grille. I literally sat in that space, while doing repairs underneath. From that "bumper" to the paint is nothing but non-structural fiberglass decoration. The rear is no less unimpressive. What appears to be a rear bumper is actually a faux one, attached to the rear wall skirt with four bolts. This area is nothing but fiberglass, foam and glue, with just enough light gauge aluminum tubing to keep it all in one piece. With enough determination, a helmet and a good helping of stupid, you could easily do major damage to the front or back of a class A with a bicycle. Naturally, the helmet would be a personal choice.................