cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Did it again

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
It took me 16 years but now I have done it again, must be old age.:)

I had a small pickup pass me and the passenger was waving like crazy and pointing to the back of my motor home. I pulled over and found out my 50 amp power cord was trailing behind me. I think every RV park should have someone at the gate to warn forgetful or careless drivers store their power cords or put down their antenna or close the slides before they hit the street or freeway.
:W

Of course I'm the only one who does things like that, aren't I?
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !
40 REPLIES 40

Alphamonk
Explorer
Explorer
I had a few hiccups in my years of RVing. A few years ago we were headed out for vacation, the last thing I had to do was fuel up. Normally done well in advance, but this time I had put it off due to scrambling around. Headed down the driveway and my satellite antenna caught a tree limb and snapped off the base. No satellite TV that trip. Recently we loaded up and headed out for a return trip and I stopped about 35 miles into the trip to take advantage of cheaper fuel. As I was pulling into the pump, a guy in a van pulled up and started pointing at the entry door. I stepped out to take a look and the over the door awning was fully extended. Then I remembered it was raining when we arrived at our destination. Guess we got too used to entering the RV with the awning extended. Pretty embarrassing but no damage done. Luckily I was not driving highway speeds yet.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis.... LOL! So true!

I can't tell you how many times that has happened to us. I'm thinking... 'why didn't you say hello in the last 4 days and now you want to talk?'

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
naturist wrote:
My fear of doing something like that is why I make 3 or 4 walk-arounds near the end of packing up, the penultimate one being before climbing into the driver's seat, the ultimate one right after pulling the rig out of the site.

Ever notice that you'll be in a campsite for a week with neighbors on both sides. Never see them except for a polite wave as you pass by...BUT start packing it up and they come over for a visit.!! Have to start your pre-flight all over every time they leave.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

dickiebob
Explorer
Explorer
Managed to catch the gentleman dragging his car before going any further whilst running alongside with my dog. Received no response when he got out to fix his car to tow properly. 2014 Phoenix - Desert Shadows.

Click For Full-Size Image.
2007 Monaco Monarch SFS30 SVE
with 2006 Ford F53 V10
2001 Honda CRV Toad

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought our first MoHo many years ago, I madea series of red colored cards. each one has a " To Do Before we leave" item on it. the power cord. the sewer hookups, the water line, TV antenna. I have even gone so far as how to hook up the tow car. Every now and again I update it. I have laminated those cards and punched a hole in the upper left hand corner and put a ring thru them. It has worked for us for quite a few years. We go thru those cards before we hit the road and on top of that, we check up on each other. I do my job while he does his, then we each go check the work of the other. Works for us.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I did the cord thing about ten years ago with my old gasser at home.
Was moving rv from back yard to front of house to load up. I was pluged in using a nice heavy duty 75ft green cord. Dragged it a few hundred yards. :S
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm worried about doing something like that. I do a walk around before I start moving to make sure everything is stowed and nothing is dragging underneath.

I'm considering going back to using a checklist again just to make sure I have everything in place. My ex use to help me remember everything, but now that I'm divorced I don't use the RV as much and don't have anyone to keep me from doing something dumb.

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
I walk around the MH 2 or 3 times, looking under & over the top of it to make sure it's ready to move. We'll walk through the inside too several times making sure everything is stowed or secured.

This is why we have checklists in the airplane for every phase of the flight. It starts with the preflight all the way through the tie down after the flight.:)

Admittedly, I don't use checklists nearly as much as I should. And as a result, can/could get complacent.
SO FAR, I haven't forgotten anything........that I know of, anyway.:D
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

barmcd
Explorer
Explorer
Mommalu wrote:
Thats where routine is so important. Yet we all know things happen that pull us from that routine. So far I deal with the inside stuff and hubby does the outside stuff. I drive, so he stays outside until I clear the campsite then enters the coach. But we still ask each other questions "did you do this? was that done? The usual answer is "yes dear I did" It's a joke, but we both understand how easy it is to forget something.
Our last weekend adventure I asked if hubby packed the Scotch and toothbrushes? His response was "which is more important?" After a brief discussion we both decided the Scotch.
Life is short laugh, learn and move on.

Having a routine is the key. If I get things out of order I'm bound to forget something.

A lot of RV parks we have left have a sign on the way out reminding you to put your antenna down, close your cargo doors etc. They don't help me much.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
My fear of doing something like that is why I make 3 or 4 walk-arounds near the end of packing up, the penultimate one being before climbing into the driver's seat, the ultimate one right after pulling the rig out of the site.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
I have a excel spreadsheet that I go over and check each item off before leaving. It even has stuff to do at the house like "Lock house doors" and "Turn off Home A/C". I do it every time. There's always something we would have forgot.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Norman wrote:
You can by these rubbery twisty ties at Lowe's and Homies. They are for tying up cords and the like. I have a number of them for many uses, but I have two that are special. They are Orange, one goes on the antenna crank handle as soon as it goes up, the other gets twisted around the steering wheel. It is an 'In Your Face' reminder. I don't take the one off the wheel until I have walked the rig.

Jim, after my antenna incident, I went to Home Depot and bought these rainbow colored velcro strips that I place around the steering wheel. I brought out my 'sharpie' marker and wrote names on the strips.

-'antenna' (roof antenna)
-'rug' (needs to be rolled up for slides to come in)
-'step' (for the outside portable step)
-'clocks' (two decorative clocks to put away)
-'Fridge' (velcro fastener on the fridge doors for extra protection)

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
You can by these rubbery twisty ties at Lowe's and Homies. They are for tying up cords and the like. I have a number of them for many uses, but I have two that are special. They are Orange, one goes on the antenna crank handle as soon as it goes up, the other gets twisted around the steering wheel. It is an 'In Your Face' reminder. I don't take the one off the wheel until I have walked the rig.
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I guess this is why we have cars today that stop themselves, won't cross over the lane divider, etc. because far too many people aren't paying attention. We witnessed a TT leaving an RV park last year with the rear scissor jacks extended and dragging. I don't mean to ridicule but if folks did a walk-around inspection prior to getting into the driver's seat there wouldn't be so many embarrassing things happening.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
Never did it while camping, but had a similar experience waaaaaay back when I was in the Air Force.

The first couple of years I was in, I was a Special Vehicle Repairman. That means I fixed fire trucks, refuelers, armored personnel carriers, basically anything that had more than 4 wheels. Was stationed at James Connelly AFB (Waco TX, closed in 1968). Fixed a structure fire truck and was running it back from the maintenance shop to the crash/fire station on the flight line. Well, a large (and expensive) hose was not stored correctly on the back of the truck, and it started unfolding as I was driving down the flight line. Pulled up in front of the fire station, made the left turn to back it in, and saw the hose in the rear mirror. Uh-oh. This isn't good. The firefighters came running out like mad bees out of a hive. Usually I got a ride back to the shop after dropping off a truck, I walked back that time.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)