cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel fuel Addetives

hermosilloleos
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 03 Caterpillar 303 diesel engine.
Does any one use it, looking for any advice or comments?
8 REPLIES 8

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
From Caterpillar (and Cummins as well):

No additives needed. TWO exceptions.

If storing diesel fuel (make sure tank if full when storing to reduce condensation in the tank) for more than two months in the summer or three months in the winter, add a BIOCIDE. Available at any marine store, as diesel powered boats have the same issue.

If storing diesel you bought in the summer or fall into cold winter temperatures, add an ANTI-GEL. Available at any Walmart.
X-2, on the anti gel! I work for a trucking company all my working life and the only thing that was put in the diesel tanks was anti gel during late fall thru winter.

JR45
Explorer
Explorer
I have a C9 Cat and run http://www.powerservice.com/dk/
With the junk fuel we have today you need something.
JR
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series Cat C9 Samsung 197 RR
Aluminum Radiator was recently replaced with a STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf VMS 330
Toad--2011 Ford Edge Sport, Air Force One
:C

COOLCHAS11
Explorer
Explorer
When we got algae in the fuel tank the Freightliner mechanic put in SeaFoam and recommended that we do so on a regular basis. Keeps the diesel fuel and tank clean.

RCDave
Explorer
Explorer
I like Optilube xpd

whistlebritches
Explorer
Explorer
What about additives for the Duramax/Diesel. Some say you need to put them in the fuel to keep the injectors clean? Ours is a 2003.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
2007 Cat Factory Tech reccomended lubricity additive despite pc bs with ULSD.
Now that they have widespread bio that issues is less but watch out for seals and hoses. biodiesel causes them to swell and degrade in diesels made before biodiesel. Max of 5% bio.
Biocide especially with biodiesel when it is going to be parked for a while and when there is lots of humidity. cheap ins imo. your call.

appologies if I sounded uppity

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
2007 Cat Factory Tech reccomended lubricity additive despite pc bs with ULSD.
Now that they have widespread bio that issues is less but watch out for seals and hoses. biodiesel causes them to swell and degrade in diesels made before biodiesel. Max of 5% bio.
Biocide especially with biodiesel when it is going to be parked for a while and when there is lots of humidity. cheap ins imo. your call.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
From Caterpillar (and Cummins as well):

No additives needed. TWO exceptions.

If storing diesel fuel (make sure tank if full when storing to reduce condensation in the tank) for more than two months in the summer or three months in the winter, add a BIOCIDE. Available at any marine store, as diesel powered boats have the same issue.

If storing diesel you bought in the summer or fall into cold winter temperatures, add an ANTI-GEL. Available at any Walmart.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/