cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel Runaway Engine

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
Wasn't exactly sure where to post this, but this is what happens and what a runaway diesel is. I'm sure you'll get the idea. Runaway Engine
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
32 REPLIES 32

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
In the old days working at Saunders leasing we would have a 318 or 671 Detroit run away. I have seen them suck one of the old phone books down the intake.

Mine is 318 or 8V71 and I was under impression that all those Detroits were equipped with killing flapper like mine is?
I play with it couple of times and it works. Kills the engine in split second, but you have to manually push the flapper back on the engine.
The 1972 pusher also has engine fire alarm. Working as I tested.
Coming back to the idea of stuffing something in the intake, I am not stranger working around running machinery, but when I open back door, I have 7 huge V-belts -some turning fan blades that will take your arm in a second, other running 7 kW alternator with pulley that will not mind your leg in it.
Getting there when engine runs few thousands rpm?
No thanks.
We had mostly 4070B IH cab overs. Our main problems came from rebuilds with the racks ran wrong.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Know how to stop a run a way diesel?

Blow-up the trestle.
Wildmanbaker

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
In the old days working at Saunders leasing we would have a 318 or 671 Detroit run away. I have seen them suck one of the old phone books down the intake.

Mine is 318 or 8V71 and I was under impression that all those Detroits were equipped with killing flapper like mine is?
I play with it couple of times and it works. Kills the engine in split second, but you have to manually push the flapper back on the engine.
The 1972 pusher also has engine fire alarm. Working as I tested.
Coming back to the idea of stuffing something in the intake, I am not stranger working around running machinery, but when I open back door, I have 7 huge V-belts -some turning fan blades that will take your arm in a second, other running 7 kW alternator with pulley that will not mind your leg in it.
Getting there when engine runs few thousands rpm?
No thanks.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
frankdamp wrote:
...Since the engine is using the lube oil in the sump as fuel, there's really no way to stop it, ...

Actually, the recommended method for stopping a runaway diesel is to strangle it: grab a large blanket or tarp and stuff it into the intake - it'll try to ingest it but once it fills up the intake it'll prevent air from entering and the engine will stop.
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:

Yes and no!

Runaways are usually caused by a busted turbo oil seal, and the oil becomes the fuel. That's why those events are so smokey. Cutting the fuel does nothing, and neither does cutting power. Cutting air is the only way to stop it, but there's no way I'd want to put myself next to an engine that could spit a piston and any moment. Plus, the damage from overspeed is most likely already done.

The 2-cycle detroits did not have turbo on some models, yet they have been prone to run away. As mentioned above, I do have Fighter-Jet style switch on dashboard that drops big flapper on intake.
Those engines have injectors under valve covers and the leaks would run the engine at high rpm.
Such run away does not have much fuel, meaning the engine should be easy to stop with manual and clutch, but I agree that I would not stick around this engine for long.
Than the comments about shooting fire extinguisher into air inlet are good one.
CO2 would be the best, but whatever extinguisher you have, -it should stop the engine.
The only worry would be coaches with double air inlet.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
hooligan wrote:
I was told the reason the air intake for diesel RV & trucks is up high to avoid fumes such as a gasoline spill which could cause a runaway.

Most diesel trucks and DP's have the air intake located in about the same height relationship to the engine as passenger cars. Most current production Class 7-8 trucks have under the hood air filters just like passenger cars, for aerodynamic reasons. The intakes are located to minimize the intake of road dust and water. It's extremely unlikely that in a gas spill the heavier than air fumes would be ingested into an engine in a high enough concentration and long enough to cause a runaway engine.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

hooligan
Explorer
Explorer
I was told the reason the air intake for diesel RV & trucks is up high to avoid fumes such as a gasoline spill which could cause a runaway.
Hooligan U.S. Coast Guard Ret.
2016 THOR Siesta Sprinter 24ST Diesel
2008 SUZUKI Grand Vitara TOAD
1 Pug "Lily", 1 Newfoundland, "George"
1972 MotoGuzzi Eldorado

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago, I was a Chief Engineer on an older Tug Boat. We had yard workers painting the Engine Room using Spray Painter and somehow they managed to hit the Start Button on a 6-71. I was on the opposite side of the ER when I heard it crank up and take off! I dove for the Trip on the Blower (a flap that seals off the air) just as I hit the trip she let go. To this day I have very little hearing in my right ear from the noise from when she blew.
I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
prstlk wrote:
Honestly, have 2 cocktails, or 4 beers, then look closely at the smoke. I swear I saw historic figures, and maybe some relitives. Or maybe that was 3 cocktails?

You're right, I think I saw Jimmy Hoffa and JFK. :?

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
frankdamp wrote:
I'm aware of two incidents in our neck of the woods. Since the engine is using the lube oil in the sump as fuel, there's really no way to stop it, except maybe putting the transmission in Drive with the parking brake on and a heavy foot on the brake pedal. Maybe adding a pillow or a blanket over the air intake would help, but I'm not sure I'd want to be close to a big diesel that might blow to shrapnel any minute.

I've not done any research on the frequency of this problem, but it's one reason we went with a gasser.

Frank, you have to be kidding. The chances are like winning the lottery.

Think about it, in the 9 years we have been motorhoming... I've never heard of a runaway diesel, until this posting. I've heard of gas engines blowing a rod more than once in 9 years. Everything can break. It's very rare for a diesel to disintegrate.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
I'm aware of two incidents in our neck of the woods. Since the engine is using the lube oil in the sump as fuel, there's really no way to stop it, except maybe putting the transmission in Drive with the parking brake on and a heavy foot on the brake pedal. Maybe adding a pillow or a blanket over the air intake would help, but I'm not sure I'd want to be close to a big diesel that might blow to shrapnel any minute.

I've not done any research on the frequency of this problem, but it's one reason we went with a gasser.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
Honestly, have 2 cocktails, or 4 beers, then look closely at the smoke. I swear I saw historic figures, and maybe some relitives. Or maybe that was 3 cocktails?
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
Putting it in gear and popping the clutch may have saved the engine but wrecked the transmission and/or drive shaft.

Just curious. What costs more, the engine or transmission/drive shaft?
I know everything on those tractors is expensive.