cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs Gas

jarbra15
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking of buying a Class A motorhome and I am debating gas vs diesel. Just wondering the pros and cons. Mileage differences? Cost of maintenance? Advantages of one over another? Thanks for your input in advance.
Brad & Carol
2001 Dodge 2500,Quad Cab, LB,5.9CTD,Auto,3.54
2004 Cedar Creek Silverback LRLFS
15K Lil Rocker hitch
Tekonsha-Prodigy Brake Controller
12 REPLIES 12

Mommalu
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on your needs. We started with a gas MH because we could store it in our back yard. Jumping from a truck and trailer we weren't sure we would be happy with a motorhome, a gaser is cheaper to start with.
However after a few years, gaining confidence we realized a DP would be a better choice.
We figured out the storage issue, and realized we love having a motorhome. We found a local shop for all mechanical needs.
The rear diesel keeps ALL the engine noise in the back, 30 plus feet away, no more shouting at each other. The air ride removes most of jostling and noise from the road expansion joints and such.
It's quiet, smooth and the mpg is better than the gas. With gas we ranged between 5 to 8 mpg depending on wind, hills and speed, I drive the speed limit. The diesel averages 7.9 to 8.5 under the same conditions.
We have no regrets. Good luck with your decision!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok Gas or Diesel.

Gasoline powered are generally less expensive both up front and to repair (engine/drive train repairs) however Most gassers are front engine and most diesels are pushers,. this has a serious effect on how noisy the ride (The rear engine is not as loud).

Diesels have a reputation for LONG LIFE

And more torque at lower RPM (Can be useful when the light turns green or going up a mountain road)

There are some other differences as well.

I'm trained on gasoline engine repair so most minor work I can do myself. THus I picked a gasser,
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
If you are comparing apples to apples, it's one thing.

The issue is it's rarely apples to apples.

The big diesel pushers compared to front engine gas MH's are usually wildly different beasts.
What size MH are you looking for to fit your camping/traveling style? If you want a 38 ft to 43 ft MH go with a DP if you want something smaller say 30 to 34 look a gas MH. It is not an apples to apples comparison. A gas MH will have the same engine from 28 ft to 39 ft. A DP will have smaller engines with less HP and torque in the shorter MH's. A 40 ft DP may have 350 HP and weigh 30k lbs or more and a 30ft gas MH may have 362 HP and weigh 15k lbs or less. That gas MH will have greater performance on hills and a flat slab than the DP. Very short DP's are very hard to find used but there are many 40 ft DP's for sale.

Roger_in_VERMON
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion it is much easier to drive a diesel pusher that a gas MH. A pusher is also quieter. The engine never seems to strain like a gas engine. The ride is much better. I always seem to have a lot of power.
๐Ÿ™‚ 2001 41' Holiday Rambler Imperial
2004 Jeep Wrangler
Weekenders and Loving it!

Bruce_Brown
Just go drive one of each - you'll know. :W
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lots of variables here. You can get high end gas and low end DP's so it's hard to answer your question. What's your budget? A budget of say $100k will get you a fairly new Gas MH and a 10+ year old diesel one. What are you going to be doing? Full time and if so, long stays and infrequent travel days then I would go with gas. Long drives and shorts stays go with a DP, because while some DP's have better interior finish and amenities, it's not that dramatic. Depending on your budget, you may find that parked they feel identical. Production brands are built on the same assembly line as gas ones. The largest difference is ride. A rear diesel with an air ride will ride and feel much better than a gasser - but parked that advantage becomes irrelevant. If they cost the same it would be a no brainer and gassers would cease to exist. But the same year, length and floorplan, and quality the prices are very far apart. We owned 2 gas MH's before our FW and despite each being new when we bought them, the F53 wore me out driving it. Lots of noise, road feedback and felt like I was beat up after a 4 hour drive. Couldn't find a DP I liked in our budget so went with a truck and FW.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you are comparing apples to apples, it's one thing.

The issue is it's rarely apples to apples.

The big diesel pushers compared to front engine gas MH's are usually wildly different beasts.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
There's also the performance issue. If traveling in the West or through mountains, a diesel will always out perform a gas engine. Depending on the size of the motorhome, getting in and out of gas stations could be an issue too with a gas engine. With a diesel, you fuel up where the big trucks do and avoid that problem. Yes you pay more up front for the unit but you get more when you sell it too. Lots to think about!
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

thelazyl
Explorer
Explorer
There are good comments on this thread. We went with a pusher 4 years ago in large part because we are older and wanted a more pleasant drive -- quieter, smoother. Our 38' rig also drives a lot easier (more stable) than the gassers I tested. We don't measure mileage - I figure if we did that then perhaps RVing isn't for us. We have a pro do our maintenance - $350 for oil/filters each year. We did the tranny for $400 which is less frequent. We did our 90k service for $900 last spring. We use a mechanic that specializes in diesel trucks. I hope this helps and good luck.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Think of the initial outlay first. Diesel motorhomes will cost significantly more from the get-go. But, as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
In terms of the engine type itself taken in isolation, there isn't a vast difference overall. A diesel engine will get somewhat better mileage per gallon, in no small part because diesel fuel has a greater energy density (and, not coincidentally, density in the ordinary sense of mass per unit volume).

However, for class A motorhomes, there are many other differences that also almost always come along with the engine type, even though they are not inherently related. Gas motorhomes are practically always front engine units, usually built on the Ford F-53 chassis, with a leaf spring suspension. Diesel class A motorhomes are practically always rear engine pusher designs, usually with air suspension, and often larger and heavier and more upscale than gas models. The rear engine makes for a quieter cockpit area when on the road, and the air suspension a smoother ride. The lack of the engine in front can also make for a roomier or more open cockpit area, depending on the specific design. On the other hand, some gas motorhomes have a large storage compartment in the back that cannot exist with a rear engine.

Maintenance costs are probably a little higher for the diesel units, often because they're bigger and heavier and may have more complex systems. Larger tires, for example, are significantly expensive than smaller ones. The diesel engines typically have longer scheduled maintenance intervals, but when required the maintenance tends to be more costly, so the expenses end up being more "lumpy" over time.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you going to keep it and use it long term then Diesel. Tag axle if diesel for the ride you will get. A lot more weight for the diesel and tires are a lot more to some point.