cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diesel ?

Wilbur
Explorer
Explorer
Sold my class A gasoline Motorhome a couple years ago because we weren't using it enough to justify ownership, storage, etc. Now we are thinking about getting another. Think we would like a diesel but still concerned about how much use it would get. Understand diesels are more expensive to maintain, etc. So here is the question: how many miles per month should it be driven rather than run at the storage unit? Any other advice, pro or con is appreciated.
23 REPLIES 23

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
stored correctly with all the right stuff and under the correct circumstances
A diesel Pusher can sit for months. I suggest driving it at least once every 5-6 months,keep tires properly inflated,batterys on a charger/minder system, run the generator and run Both AC units
use a good fuel conditioner, keep the sun off the tires and park on a known dry surface. run slides in/out etc.make sure theres no mice!!! probable if stored correctly one can go longer but this is what I do

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
willald wrote:
Ivylog wrote:
Farm equipment sits all winter... my DP just sat for five months without being started... much shorter than some of my heavy equipment. Starting every month is about as dumb as changing the oil every year reguardless of the number of miles on a diesel that does not travel short distances. I've run diesel fuel that was five years old in my equipment... you cannot do that will five year old gasoline.

This is an expensive sport, no reason to make it more expensive.

A Motorhome needs to be driven a few miles at least once a month or so, to exercise the rest of the chassis, not just the engine. Regardless whether its gas or diesel (although it probably is true that this is more crucial for a gasser, due to the risk of bad gasoline fouling up an engine.)

If you let a Motorhome sit for 5 or 6 months at a time every winter like you're suggesting here, eventually you're going to have all kinds of fun with the brakes. Sticking calipers, etc. Not to mention that when they sit that long, you run a higher risk of critters getting into it and wreaking all kinds of havoc.

I remember when I first bought our Motorhome, that was the first thing we were told by our mobile RV service guy we've known for years and who has worked on these things for years and years: The WORST thing you can do to an RV, especially a motorized one, is to let it sit. These things need to be driven, used.

I agree, its an expensive sport, no reason to make it more expensive by not exercising the chassis, and causing expensive issues later on. Even if its just a drive around the block a few times, fire the thing up and drive it 'bout once a month. If nothing else, it helps keep you excited about getting back out camping come Spring. 🙂

Old wives tale, not supported by evidence.
Before we drove our Newmar out of the storage lot, I pulled a wheel and hub just to see if the brakes were rusted up. they looked like it was driven yesterday.

it was in storage 9 years.

and we live in the Rainey northwest.

I drove it to the nearest Les Shawb and replaced the tires, then took it down the freeway to home, removed the serpentined belt took it to NAPA to match it up, and they asked why I was changing it, I told them because it was 9 years old, they said "so what, it is a kevlar belt". it is still in place after 40k miles.
WE serviced the air conditioners (they didn't need it). replaced all the filters, (they did) including the coolant, and old hoses.
I thought the air tanks would need attention, but the fleet service station says no, the system has a air dryers installed plus auto purging so nothing to worry about there.
Our coach is 17 years old with a little over 40k miles and it sets a lot, works great every time we take it out.
It as sat all winter, then with out any special preparation we took it to Az, Tx, & Florida and back, no discrepancies after we got home.
Remember that 2% of the problems make 100% of the news. You never hear of the things that don't have problems, just the 2% that does.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Will, your lack of knowledge on DP air brakes is showing... the majority do not have calipers. "My DP JUST sat for five months"... means since April, not all winter. If you click on "How I spend the winter" below I think you'll figure out I'm a believer that taking it to Fla is the easiest way to winterize it and rarely does it sit for five months. It's also stored inside my home so rodents have not been a problem.
I agree while under warranty you need to follow the guidelines and start oil sampling so at the end of the warranty you will know what a waste once a year is for changing the oil.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
My conversion was sitting for 18 months at the time and everything worked perfectly on restarting.
I noticed that 4 years old fuel deliver lesser performance, but still run with no problems.
Air brakes don't have calipers.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ivylog wrote:
Farm equipment sits all winter... my DP just sat for five months without being started... much shorter than some of my heavy equipment. Starting every month is about as dumb as changing the oil every year reguardless of the number of miles on a diesel that does not travel short distances. I've run diesel fuel that was five years old in my equipment... you cannot do that will five year old gasoline.

A Motorhome needs to be driven a few miles at least once a month or so, to exercise the rest of the chassis, not just the engine. Regardless whether its gas or diesel (although it probably is true that this is more crucial for a gasser, due to the risk of bad gasoline fouling up an engine.)

If you let a Motorhome sit for 5 or 6 months at a time every winter like you're suggesting here, eventually you're going to have all kinds of fun with the brakes. Sticking calipers, etc. Not to mention that when they sit that long, you run a higher risk of critters getting into it and wreaking all kinds of havoc.

I remember when I first bought our Motorhome, that was the first thing we were told by our mobile RV service guy we've known for years and who has worked on these things for years and years: The WORST thing you can do to an RV, especially a motorized one, is to let it sit. These things need to be driven, used.

I agree, its an expensive sport, no reason to make it more expensive by not exercising the chassis, and causing expensive issues later on. Even if its just a drive around the block a few times, fire the thing up and drive it 'bout once a month. If nothing else, it helps keep you excited about getting back out camping come Spring. 🙂
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
usersmanual wrote:
Ivylog wrote:

LOL you and I are the only people on the same page here especially the one year oil deal . good honest post my man.

I also service based on sample results from Blackstone. My C12 in the Safari easily went 24 months between intervals. My Newmar is under warranty so I hold my nose and service annually and drain perfectly good oil.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
With a diesel, if you aren't using it for a long time either leave it alone or take it out and drive it far enough so ALL systems get up to operating temperature. The worse thing you can do is start it and let it idle for a long time. Unlike gassers, a diesel will not get up to operating temp at an idle.
2014 American Eagle

Wilbur
Explorer
Explorer
Again, thanks to all who responded. Still looking and thinking!

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO, going diesel is a good choice at least you have choices and are not stuck with one brand like buying a gas coach!

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
99% of the maintenance on my diesel was self induced.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:

LOL you and I are the only people on the same page here especially the one year oil deal . good honest post my man.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

KWinzer
Explorer
Explorer
DH and I are both approaching our 70's, and we've decided to buy a used diesel pusher and sell our 30 ft. gasser. Even after adding upgraded shocks and springs to make it a better ride, my body just couldn't take it for more than a couple hundred mile trip. We want to take some longer trips with our three dogs, so a more comfortable, less noisy ride seemed desirable to us.

It's a pain to sell the 30 ft. Vista, that worked well for our short rides out to dog shows, but hoping to get it sold quickly.

elcheapo
Explorer
Explorer
What do the RV Dealers do with all their Class A and C motor homes while sitting on the lot waiting to be sold. I do not think they take them out for a drive every month. At the CW near me (Cocoa, FL) I have seen the same ones parked for months in one spot.
2016 Jayco Redhawk 29XK