cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnect terminals while charging with battery minder?

bzboy
Explorer
Explorer
Do i need to physically disconnect the terminals from the chassis battery while it is hooked up to a "battery minder" charger?

There is a chassis battery disconnect button close by that I engage when in storage. But there is a sign next to the battery that states to disconnect terminal while charging to prevent damage to sensitive equipment.

Thank you for replies.
6 REPLIES 6

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are a number of Battery Minder/Tender (Two different brands of same subject) The one I bought last Halloween can hit 70 amps in jump start mode, 20 amps in bulk mode or I think 3 or 4 in float mode.. I really needed that 20 amps.

The answer is no, you don't need to disconnect (except in teh 70 amp mode) and most of 'em can't do 70 amps.

I wanted a really good smart charger.> That's why I got the one I got. Store did not have anything else that looked as good. More expensive yes. as good no.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Simple answer is that you do not need to disconnect to use the battery minder.

Yes, a good idea to verify that battery terminal connections are clean and tight.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Disconnect the terminals. It will be a reminder to clean them before reconnecting.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
No disconnect is required. If rating is less than one amp I recommend using the disconnect.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
if it is an on / off switch, I would do it. better to be safe then sorry

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
NO
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ