Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discovered a serious problem

Bandaid
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

A year ago my wife and I purchased a 2021 Forest River SunsSeeker Classic, class C camper. It now has 5400 miles on it and is less than two years old. Yesterday, while washing the camper I bumped a piece of trim on the bottom edge of the bulkhead panel between the cab and the camper living area. The trim piece fell off onto the driveway and a bunch of what I thought was sand and dirt came with it. Inspecting the trim piece, it looks as though the factory installed it with one screw. The serious part is that the wood, probably either OSB board, or chipboard, sandwiched between a thick layer of sound deadening foam and the fylon outer skin is wet and rotting! Same thing on the drivers side and in that case, the trim piece is laying along the side of the road someplace!
I'm wondering. Have others had this problem with not only Forest River products, but other class C's. If so, what have you done to fix the issue, DIY, or was it taken to an RV body shop?

Bandaid
10 REPLIES 10

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, layered still using glue. Azdel is just a step in the right direction.
Actually in the op’s case, the floor may be what’s going to be affected.

I forget the exact reason why but Mfg’s tried Azdel in rv floors with little success and ended up gravitating back to floors with exterior grade tongue and groove plywood. Keep an eye on soft floors.

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
Lumpty wrote:
Forest River Class C’s use Azdel composite in the laminated walls, not luan, so there shouldn’t be anything to rot or delaminate, as it’s impervious to water and will not swell.

A picture is needed of the affected area. I have an 11+ y.o. Forest River Class C with almost 100k miles that’s been outside every day since it’s been built, and the house is solid, with just regular body seam maintenance.

They only use azdel for the outer substrate layer behind the filon, the inner layer that the wall covering is applied to is luan, and the adhesives used to bond it all together is water soluble. Azdel is not the cure all the manufacturers brag it to be in the marketing dept. The Azdel will not swell, but the filon will release from it or it will release from the foam/aluminum core, and the inner layer is self explanitary.
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
Forest River Class C’s use Azdel composite in the laminated walls, not luan, so there shouldn’t be anything to rot or delaminate, as it’s impervious to water and will not swell.

A picture is needed of the affected area. I have an 11+ y.o. Forest River Class C with almost 100k miles that’s been outside every day since it’s been built, and the house is solid, with just regular body seam maintenance.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
One year.

I think the op is just out of warranty. The op’s is just less than 2 yrs.

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
I've never bought a brand new RV before. Do they not come with warranties?

-Chris
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would contact the selling dealer and ask them to put you in contact with the factory rep in your area. Between him , you and the selling dealer , they might be able to work something out. If the dealer wont help you, then you contact the mfg directly.
It would be in your advantage if there was some wiggle room in the negotiated selling price. If they made enough profit on your rigs sale , some dealers will take care of a repeat customers complaints. If you haggled them down to that thin profit line , then their is no financial room for the dealer to help you.

If they cant help, then you have to find someone that knows what they doing for repairing it.

Sunseeker uses Azdel on its sidewalls. It might be not as bad a repair.
I have not used Northside but have heard good things about them. Syracuse is not too far from you. It might be worth the trip to have them estimate the job.

https://northsidecollision.com/fleet-rv-repair/rv-repair/

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Post some photos, see if we can help.Also check around for a RV mobile repair service.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
call fr see if you can get any help.don,t count on it. start searching for some one to check it out.best to find a mom/pop shop ,the dealers are not in a rush to put you first. if your real handy find a garage to rent a nice winter job. ME I,d be trading it in.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't understand why people keep buying t. Unlike my R-Vision by Monaco Coarch of many years ago there are many brands that have a poor quality build reputation for many many years.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's a common RV problem and can be $$$$. All roof and side penetrations need to be completely sealed, windows, lights, antennas, etc. You may have additional areas.

Dry rot will continue due to lack of air circulation until corrected.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob