cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

do fluids do any harm when left in too long?

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
Our MH has not been used since covid.
last service was 2016. 2019 changed oil and filter and some injection cleaner.
Do any fluids etc do any harm if left too long?
e.g. does brake fluid corrode anything?

Ford V10 gas engine
thanks all
2006 Itasca sunova 29r
14 REPLIES 14

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
thanks everyone
2006 Itasca sunova 29r

Bikeboy57
Explorer
Explorer
I would be most cocerned about the tires. I strongly believe sitting tires is a major cause of tire problems on class a rigs
Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
anon125,

Put me in the camp that thinks the mechanicals will be OK. I'd schedule the fluid change maintenance before the next time you take it out, but like Grit Dog said, I doubt there would be any trouble.

To be honest, I'd be more concerned with the "house" systems. The furnace, stove, water heater, water pump, refrigerator. Anything operated with gas has had ample opportunity for little buggies to make their nests in the gas delivery tubes for the burner. Motors might seize up if exposed to condensing moisture that hasn't have the opportunity to be burned off every once in a while. The carburetor on the generator could likely be gummed up with the fuel after all of these years.

I'd be giving these systems a test, as able, to minimize surprises come
Spring.

Oh, and give the inside a good once over looking for leaks. If there's any sign of leakage, be sure to get that taken care of before the winter sets in.

Good Luck,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
thanks everyone
2006 Itasca sunova 29r

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
When I said it ilkely is fine, I was serious. I have vehciles that donโ€™t get driven much that havenโ€™t had an oil change in years or a decade. Theyโ€™re fine. Also have engines that get low hours per year and I wouldnt think of not changing the oil before layup. And others that I change after every or every other use.
But if you care about the RV and plan on keeping it no sense in procrastinating.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
anon125 wrote:
next year before we use it we would get everything done.
but the question was has any harm been done?
thanks

No nothing is likely harmed.
Iโ€™d lol at the โ€œnext yearโ€ comment, but itโ€™s been this long so , I suppose who cares at this point. If itโ€™s been basically sitting unused for however many years and this is the first time youโ€™re thinking about servicing it, it is what it is relatively speaking.
Personally sounds like the only thing you need to buy for it are a couple for sale signs , but thatโ€™s just me.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

TCBear
Explorer
Explorer
"But was any harm done?"

Perhaps none other than normal component aging for stored vehicles. But in a sense irrelevant in that other than a thorough mechanic's inspection, all you can do is replace the fluids and then monitor for noise, leaks and performance issues. Otherwise whatever happens, happens. LACK of fluids, which have preserving/protective qualities for metals, plastics and especially elastomer rubbers, is an issue. But you simply have old fluids, although they haven't circulated through the various systems in a long time. If no issues arise afterwards, then don't sweat the storage time (although take steps to not repeat it). Replace all affected fluids per your owner's manual service schedule, replace belts and hoses if inspection reveals issues (personally I'd preventively replace them -- it would kill me to have a belt fail in a remote area knowing I could have installed a new $25 belt months earlier), and thoroughly inspect your tires including the inner sidewalls, your spare as well. Check the engine battery as well, preferably by pressing one's tongue against the terminals (recommended by my neighbor's German Shepherd), but there may be other methods as well.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only problems I've had from old fluids is antifreeze going bad and eating holes in a radiator. It was 15+ years old.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
anon125 wrote:
thanks

wouldn't hurt to have a qualified service tech go ofer everything now, changing the fluids that need to be changed, etc. If there is damage it can be corrected now before you leave on a trip next year. Wait till then to have rhe coach examined and you may find your trip is canceled.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Oil can become tainted from use where it will etch main rod bearings. Reason for the six month or x miles in the owners manual.

Brake fluid absorbs moisture, so it needs to be changed periodically.

Antifreeze and ATF have a long self life, but also requires change per your owners manual
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
all that would be prevented by the next service!
2006 Itasca sunova 29r

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The answer is it depends and on far too many things for me to list.

OIL for example Blow by on the piston rings can cause the oil to turn acidic over many miles.. Now oil has acid neutralizers in it so this does not eat a hole in your oil pan...> But if you drove far enough .. Well I've actually seen it happen one time on a car.

Brake fluid (some of them) can absorb moisture out of the air then the brakes fail I've never seen that myself.. but i've read about it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
thanks
2006 Itasca sunova 29r

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
You should have the fluids changed, and have a qualified chassis mechanic check bumper to bumper. 2016 is 7 years ago and 2019 is 4. How old are your tires? You need to have them inspected if not replaced as soon as possible. Probably need to have the roof inspected and resealed.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT