cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you always need an RV Park ? .....

LandYacht35dies
Explorer
Explorer
..... or can you BLACK TOP BOONDOCK from time to time ?

My main experience has been with a diesel dually and large truck camper but there are MAJOR LIMITATIONS with that ! Hence my move to a class A
30 REPLIES 30

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Same as wandering aimlessly only about every 3-4 night.

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Back in in the day we camped along the edge of the lake with no services. Well you could use the pit toilet if you wanted. I made the guys use it and the women could use the inside clean facilities.

We have done it else where even in rest areas where it was allowed

LandYacht35diesel wrote:
..... or can you BLACK TOP BOONDOCK from time to time ?

My main experience has been with a diesel dually and large truck camper but there are MAJOR LIMITATIONS with that ! Hence my move to a class A
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
A campground about every fourth night, just to hook up, dump, and refill. We may be at W&E campgrounds those nights, but its not necessary.

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
I see lots of Class A's in Walmart.
Bet you would see a whole lot more in the local RV Parks.

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
LandYacht35diesel wrote:
hohenwald48 wrote:
Short answer to your question is simply "yes". The reason is "for more gracious living." If I'm boondocking it's either because I'm broke down or everything is full and I didn't make a reservation.

MUST BE NICE Nashville guy ... not to care about mpg or the price of fuel AND NOW it appears you need an RV Park every night !

I have RVed since the early 80s and I maybe have gone to parks MAYBE 20 times !

Iโ€™ve even black topped it in ... Key West !

Iโ€™ll bet you went to Bluewater Park.... for 300$ a nite !

More power to ya !

What an arrogant reply. Not helpful to anyone.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have spent many single nights in parking lots.. Mostly Flying J but some Cracker Barrels and some "other"

As an AARP member I tried to find "J's" with Denny's. Fuel, Park, Go in, Dine, Sleep, Breakfast (Also Denny's) and on to the next Why Denny's (I think it's 15% off with AARP card)

Same with CB but no discount ๐Ÿ˜ž Dinner and breakfast,

Other lots .. often did not have an eatery handy but even Wall*mart will often have something that shares the lot.. McD's or Subway or even a decent sit down.
Though I'm not a fan of Wal*mart or McD's now days (McD's used to be decent). But beyond "I'm not a fan" it gets political.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer boondocking every night and usually there are As in the same area.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I see lots of Class A's in Walmart.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
LandYacht35diesel wrote:
hohenwald48 wrote:
Short answer to your question is simply "yes". The reason is "for more gracious living." If I'm boondocking it's either because I'm broke down or everything is full and I didn't make a reservation.

MUST BE NICE Nashville guy ... not to care about mpg or the price of fuel AND NOW it appears you need an RV Park every night !

More power to ya !

Does it matter to you if he chooses to use RV Parks?

If I had to choose between "blacktop boondocking" at a Walmart, etc, or going to an RV Park, I'd choose the RV Park everytime.

As it is, I prefer dry campgrounds over both.

That's why we have choices - because we all want something a bit different.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Mel_Stuplich
Explorer
Explorer
NO

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm in a class C or TT, but I dry camp almost exclusively. I would rather spend a week in a dry campground or boondocking than in an RV Park. For me, the RV park is relegated for the occasional overnight to recharge, dump, and refill.

But everyone is different and if someone only stays at RV Parks, then that's fine with me.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

LandYacht35dies
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:

More power to ya !

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Dry camping is very much possible, as others have said.

Sometimes that's also great for staying at some campgrounds that don't have hookups available (besides just stopping wherever is convenient and legal) or that charge excessively for them.

This summer I went to the Oshkosh AirVenture fly-in/aviation extravaganza. Most of the campground available there consists of what appear to be hayfields with roads and cross-roads marked out; you find a happy-looking spot and plonk yourself down there, and then use the generator and dump/fill stations as necessary. (There are some full hookup campsites available, but they are pretty expensive and sell out quickly.) While I have a class C, a class A would have done equally as well and indeed there were a great many of them around too.

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
We routinely "boondock" or camp without hookups outside of RV parks. We used to do this with a towable and that was much more difficult but still rewarding. We did it with our Class C and now Class A DP. We actually plan a few days of boondocking into our trips to make the outgoing and return trips less stressful. It does require some preparation i.e. have enough water, make sure the grey / black tanks are empty.
FMCA member

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Short answer is no you do not need an RV park every night. Your class A is self contained.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup