cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you pull a trailer behind your Motorhome?

Powerstroke2000
Explorer
Explorer
I've been thinking of upgrading to a Diesel pusher in the next while, so I was wondering about sizing/length with regard to pulling an enclosed trailer behind. A few options, where at the moment I'd have a couple of quads, but in the future I wondered if I had a long enough trailer, if I could fit a small car (Smart-car, Fiat etc.) in with the quads, for a quick run into town etc., if needed. There again, with the length of the motorhome, and now a longer trailer, how would this affect finding campsites that could accommodate?
I thought I'd ask, to see what those of you that bring your toys along, how they might affect your travel needs? Much to think about, and I appreciate any comments/advice.
Thanks in advance.
2008 Tiffin Phaeton 36' Class A Diesel
15 REPLIES 15

Gottahaveit
We pull a trailer behind when we take the Harleys with no problem. We do make sure we have a big enough pull thru that we do not have to drop the trailer etc. upon arrival.
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes pull a 20' enclosed carhauler behind our 41' DP. Went from AZ to Jasper in Canada and back. We had no real problems. No reservations but did call ahead a few times. Had to drop trailer a couple times no big deal. We are pushing max length.
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

gsf35099
Explorer
Explorer
We pull a 20' v nose enclosed trailer behind our 38.5' DP with the Harley & Golf cart. The Harley is a Limited Ultra at 9' and golf cart is actually right at 11'. I put the nose of Harley as far in the v as possible to make room. A smart car is only 9' & I have finally convinced the DW when we really hit the road to go with Harley & Smart.
We've never had any problems from coast to coast. Just have to do a little research and be open to change. Either drop the trailer or find pull thrus is the best. We were just in Daytona where I had to nose in RV spot then back out when we left. Never took trailer off.
2005 Damon Astoria 3679
300 Cummins ISB 5.9, Allison auto 5 speed

Life is to short not to have a good time and enjoy!!!

katoomer
Explorer
Explorer
We pull a 18' trailer behind our 40 footer. Inside is 1 quad and 2 dirt bikes along with
Weber Kettle and other necessities. We're 63 ft. I think 65 ft is max length for B.C.
We make arrangements to rent a car if we need to for a few days so we don't have to break camp. Stacker trailer is your best bet if you want to bring a car along but then you need a
big Coach that can tow 15,000 lbs. We usually dry camp but plan ahead for campsites, we have never had any trouble but quite a few parks won't have space.
2009 Newmar Ventana 3942
2010 Pace Shadow 18ft
2010 KTM 450 XCW six days
2010 Can Am Outlander 650 XT
2014 Can Am Outlander 500
2007 Yamaha YZ250F
1989 Douglas Skater 21' Twin 2.5s

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We pull a 22' enclosed trailer behind our 40' MH. Total length is 65' which is legal in the western states that I have been through.

We haul a side by side ATV in the trailer. Had to have a steel beam built into the front of it, and then use the ATV winch to pull the front up in the air and slide the rear end around so that it fits in side ways.
That leaves enough room to put our GMC Safari minivan in behind the ATV.
We have only had to disconnect the trailer one time in all of our travels. We just unloaded the Safari and used it to move the trailer around.

It's nice having the trailer for a garage/shop when we are parked for several days at a time.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Why don't you just check out the new Class A toy haulers?
Quads inside and pull a toad.
http://outlawrv.com/

My friend just bought the Class A toy hauler for sporting events they are great. You can get a lot of stuff in there.

OR this....All the pro fishing competitors pull these behind their DP's.
Saw some real nice graphic paint wrapped DP's matching boat and SUV's/Trucks on trailers like this down in Land of the Lakes last year.

Quads on top and toad on the bottom!

Lot less wind problems with an open trailer. think it would weigh less too.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

glamisorbust
Explorer
Explorer
I pull a 22 x 8 1/2 wide deck flatbed behind my 38' holiday rambler endeavor. On this trailer, we haul quads, ATC's(3 wheelers), a sandrail, firewood, bbq, riding gear, fuel containers, etc. It is a very handy trailer and fits everything nicely. I have had 7 ATV's and the sandcar on there, along with all the other stuff at one time. It's a nice load! My flatbed overall length is 26', putting me at just under 65' which is the maximum length for AZ, CA and NV(all the places I go). Perfect setup.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 38'. Cummins ISB 275, allison 3060.
Toys pulled: 22x8.5 open deck PJ flatbed. 5200# axles. Sand car with ecotec engine. Multiple 1980's ATC's(3 wheelers). We're duners!

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
I have 39 ft coach and pull a 20 ft cart trailer loaded with a Polaris RZR sideways in the front and a Honda CRV in the rear. We mainly use this combo when we travel to Arizona for the winter. Never had a problem in any RV parks.;)

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
We allow those types of rigs in less than 10% of our sites. When they are full, we do not take any more. We used to allow dropping trailers etc. but that always turned into a hassle. Now if the super long sites with big turn radiuses in and out are taken, we just opt to say no. I know many other parks have basically the same philosophy. I would suggest traveling with reservations and calling ahead.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
To much tongue weight? As pictured very little but with just a small car pulled forward... Yes. I doubled up the tongue's 4" channels and my Dynasty likes plenty of weight on the rear.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ivylog wrote:
65' is the max in many states. Are they quads or side by sides? If quads then a stacker trailer or a modified one where only one end lowers would work. The problem I had with a side/side is on a stacker I would be pushing 14' and I wanted to stay lower than my MH... 12.5'. I solved this by building a rack that pivots on a 18' car trailer. I can use the truck to move the trailer around with but the biggest problem is TOO MANY TOYS.

Doesn't that severely increase the tongue weight....:h...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
65' is the max in many states. Are they quads or side by sides? If quads then a stacker trailer or a modified one where only one end lowers would work. The problem I had with a side/side is on a stacker I would be pushing 14' and I wanted to stay lower than my MH... 12.5'. I solved this by building a rack that pivots on a 18' car trailer. I can use the truck to move the trailer around with but the biggest problem is TOO MANY TOYS.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the problem; First of all quads are a lot bigger than they may look. My two quads put end to end on a trailer are over 14'. If you try side to side then they are too wide for most trailers. Now if you want to throw a smart car in you are talking a huge trailer. So now you have the problem of what to do with the trailer when you are camping. Pull-through sites become your only option because you can't move the trailer by hand. Maybe you could as long as everything is flat. So if only back in sites are available, you have to find someplace to be able to leave the trailer that you can get it into with the motorhome and that can be real tricky.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
Super C can pull just about any trailer you want.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.