cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dometic Duo Therm Penguin 15000 btu kicks 20 amp a/c breaker

dickiebob
Explorer
Explorer
Subject mod #620426.331, ser #70430579 15000 btu a/c was off today upon return to motorhome. The 20 dedicated a/c breaker clicks off after resetting and turning on the a/c switch each try. Furnace control works ok.

We are near Rochester, MN and it is hot!

Anyone in this area know a good mobile RV person I could call? Only close RV repair looks to be Noble RV near Rochester airport. We have a pet, so need to get fixed.

Thanks for any references.
2007 Monaco Monarch SFS30 SVE
with 2006 Ford F53 V10
2001 Honda CRV Toad
7 REPLIES 7

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would try and isolate the short you have in the 120V system. I would unplug the 120V wire at the control board and see if the breaker still trips. There is a fairly long delay before the compressor starts so it's not the problem. I would look for a black wire near the control board that has rubbed and shorted out.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

dickiebob
Explorer
Explorer
Just an update. Tried new breaker...instant trips yet. Local repair has New unit on order from factory. Hope to have Fri. At least weather temps have dropped and evenings are cool.

Thanks to those who responded.
with 2006 Ford F53 V10
2001 Honda CRV Toad

dickiebob
Explorer
Explorer
Doug...good idea. Will give it a try in the morning.
with 2006 Ford F53 V10
2001 Honda CRV Toad

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Just swap with another 20 amp breaker in your panel. That will tell you if the breaker is bad or it is the AC unit. You can even use a 15 amp breaker for just a test time for 15 minutes. Doug

dickiebob
Explorer
Explorer
Toddupton..my 1st thinking is breaker...feels soft when pulled off and breaker releases instantly when turning to cool..no sounds from fan or compressor, just click of breaker kicking off. With cool off, fan does not run in on position (does not kick out breaker either). No auto fan run either. Don't have tools to check amp draw, but wouldn't be possible ? with instant breaker release.

John...voltage good at 122
with 2006 Ford F53 V10
2001 Honda CRV Toad

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Check AC voltage.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Toddupton
Explorer
Explorer
The first cheapest easiest thing to do if you don't have an amp probe would be to try and just replace the breaker. If you had tools you could test the amp draw and see if it is pulling LRA on the compressor to see if that is bad. But it sounds like the breaker is tripping too soon to be the compressor. Does the indoor fan come on?