cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Down hill grade

pauly_boy
Explorer
Explorer
Relatively new to RVing. My question is while driving down a steep grade road the engine will rev high. Should I gear down? And best way to do this while driving?
Thanks for any help.
Stay Safe...Paul
23 REPLIES 23

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
Dusty R wrote:
pauly boy wrote:
Thank you to everyone for their advice. It will be well used.
Sorry for not giving more detail... 2018 24 ft C Class, Four Winds. Driving various grades last summer and the unit sounded like it was revving to high but maybe that's how it should sound. Like I said, still new to driving anything bigger than a car.
Stay Safe... Paul

I thought that our 2015 E-450 revving too high at times, then I learned that it is programed so that it cannot rev too high.

Daughter was descending a steep hill in Northern New Mexico in our 2017 E-450 V-10 MH. Tow Haul mode. Tapped brake for downshift. Engine revved and the Check Engine Light came on. All gauges were good, etc. I purchased a code reader at O'Reilly's Auto in Taos and the fault was a few Engine Misfires. Cleared the codes and it never happened again.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
pauly boy wrote:
Sorry for not giving more detail... 2018 24 ft C Class, Four Winds. Driving various grades last summer and the unit sounded like it was revving to high but maybe that's how it should sound. Like I said, still new to driving anything bigger than a car.
Stay Safe... Paul

I thought that our 2015 E-450 revving too high at times, then I learned that it is programed so that it cannot rev too high.

pauly_boy
Explorer
Explorer
Stay Safe... Paul

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Really doesn't matter HOW you get to the correct gear to hold your speed in equilibrium. This can vary by make, model and year of chassis/vehicle.

The important this in that you DO!
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^6 deg is steep. Not something you'll find on most highways, but you may mean 6%.
Either way, yes some newer tow haul programming on a lot of vehicles have quite aggressive downshift profiles.
But you don't need to worry, it's not hurting anything.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
I don't use the tow/haul mode going down hills any more. I find that if I am using it and begin going too fast, briefly stepping on the break brings me to the next lower gear at an RPM I don't feel comfortable with. If the hill is 6 degrees for a couple miles I manually slow way down at the apex and gear down manually. Then if I feel the speed increasing too much, I tap on the brake to slow the vehicle down.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I learned this lesson by experience with a Hill too long and steep decades ago
http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/bella_coola_hill.html

We had a 1992 3/4 ton GM van pulling a tent trailer. I started down in 2nd gear, using the brakes on each switchback curve. My daughter had her window open and said there was a burning smell. I stopped and found there was indeed a hot smell from the wheels. A few minutes later I bravely proceeded in low gear and soon came to a rest stop where I could safely park. There was a melted car there. The aluminum engine had the shape of a puddle on the ground. After a good rest to cool down we proceeded down in low gear. A good lesson!
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
wolfe10 wrote:
rogerddd wrote:
valhalla360,
What is different about diesel vs. gas? "diesels are a different game"

Gasoline engines use VACUUM (pistons pulling against closed throttle) to generate braking HP.

Diesel engines-- no throttle restriction in intake. So they will have an exhaust brake, VGT turbo that closes and acts similar to an exhaust brake or on larger engines an engine compression brake.

Either gasoline or diesel engines ALONG WITH PROPER GEAR can be used to control speed of descent.

That assumes a newer diesel with exhaust brake or compression brake.

We had an old 7.3 with no exhaust or compression brake...Letting the engine rev helped a little but not nearly as much. You relied on the wheel brakes more and it was more critical to use them appropriately and not let it get away from you. If you let it get up to 75mph and there is a 45mph curve approaching...wheel brakes might not be enough...especially if you already heated up the brakes.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
pauly boy wrote:
Relatively new to RVing. My question is while driving down a steep grade road the engine will rev high. Should I gear down? And best way to do this while driving?
Thanks for any help.
Stay Safe...Paul

Buddy, it's just like driving any other vehicle. And re-think your question a bit. But yes, if needed, downshift to help hold speed, within reason.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
If you have never lost your brakes on a long decent, and most of you have not.

Follow wolfe10's advice. He is spot on.

Get to the lower gear that will hold your speed so you don't have to use the service brake.

Nothing like no brakes going down a very steep grade in Death Valley and the toad braking system is not functioning correctly.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Actually if the engine is at the higher end of its acceptable range and your speed is still increasing, use the brake pedal long and hard enough to slow down to drop to the next lower gear.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
pauly boy wrote:
Thanks for any help.
Stay Safe...Paul
If the engine is already revved up then all is working fine.
OK to set your decent speed a bit slower if you do not feel in control.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
pauly boy wrote:
Thanks for any help.
Stay Safe...Paul

I read your question carefully... it says "while driving down a steep grade road the engine will rev high." If that is the case, then you ARE gearing down, whether you are doing it manually or the vehicle is doing it on its own. You don't say what year, make and model your RV is. Most newer ones with "tow-haul" mode will downshift automatically on downgrades. Even my VW wagon when on cruise control will downshift to try to maintain a constant speed going down hill.

But like others have said, whether you are downshifting or not you don't want to brake continually on a downgrade.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
On my Ford v-10, I use tow haul mode. When descending a steep grade, I tap the brake, the tranny kicks down and holds me back.

x2 I actually turn the cruise control on and set it for the speed that I want to go down the hill. Most of the time (unless a very steep grade) the V-10 and cruise control will maintain that speed. If it picks up too much speed, tap the brake pedal (maybe 1 second) and it will automatically downshift.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.