cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DP Engine Heat

JJ927
Explorer
Explorer
My bed is over the diesel engine, which has an access cover to the top of the engine. Under the bed (and on top of that access cover) is plenty of room for storage. But I've noticed it gets pretty hot under there during long trips.

Is it safe to put things like spare blankets and pillows under the bed? There's no smells or exhaust getting through, that's not an issue, just heat. I haven't had the opportunity to actually put a thermometer under there, but I'm curious if anyone has ever had any issues with a DP where the bed is directly over the engine?
2015 Itasca Solei 34T
JJ, JP, Linus & Dexter (Dachsunds)
8 REPLIES 8

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
There isnโ€™t much space between the bed and the hatch in our older Newmar! It might serve as an ironing board but thatโ€™s about it!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
I would not either as after a few beers I could not lift the bed up for more!

Shot-N-Az wrote:
I wouldnโ€™t put my beer in there.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldnโ€™t put my beer in there.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
168000 miles with the "storage" compartment over top of my Cummins, stuffed with my DW's fabric. So far, so good.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Clothes dryers also get pretty hot, and bedding is fine tumbling around in them. It shouldn't be a problem. I would not suggest storing your chocolate bar and crayon collections there, though.

Bruce_Brown
^^^ This.

No restrictions on what we store there.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a inexpensive indoor-outdoor temperature monitor...any hardware store...and mount the outdoor sensor in the under bed storage. Youโ€™ll know for sure.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not an issue as thatโ€™s what we store there in several different DPs
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...