Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Draining hot water tank

ezgoin
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,

Is it necessary to drain the hot water tank when the MH is sitting for several months between trips? I live in the SW so freezing temps are not a problem.

Thanks,
Bill
The older I get....the better I was.

Bill & Terry
And our canine kids, Skippy & Peanut
2014 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 30T
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad
20 REPLIES 20

ezgoin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I’ve lived in AZ for over 30 years and I can’t believe i didn’t consider the hard water issues here. Thanks for jogging my memory! It has now been drained.
The older I get....the better I was.

Bill & Terry
And our canine kids, Skippy & Peanut
2014 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 30T
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Branson N Tucson wrote:
I Drain my water heater at least twice a year.
This is due to the hard water and calcium build up.we spend our winters out here in Arizona.
You wouldn't believe the white chunks that come out. We also have a soft water heater in use.

That is my suggestion as well. I had to replace a tank once and the old tank had a good 2 gallons of "Crud" (as described above) when I got it out. Regular draining and flushing can reduce that.

Suggestion get a length of plastiv ribbed "Irrigation" pipe. 1/2 inch thrad. When you remove the plug or anode immed thread the plastiv pipe in the hole (about six to 8 inches should do it) then open the TPR valve manually (STAND BACK) this way the water is "piped" beyond the edge of the RV. You can store the pipe in the outside water heater access area.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Never understood people's resistance to draining their water heater. It take 4 minutes at the most. I drain mine after every trip as I find no need to haul an extra 80 pounds to the next camp trip. Who's going to fill up a thermos bottle with water, let it sit for several months and then drink the contents?

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yep.. I put a 5 gallon bucket under it and it overflowed.. 🙂

So, you just gotta do your own due diligence. That's why I pulled the plug to make sure it was empty. I had no wear on my anode, so I'll go with it for awhile.

Thanks! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
MitchF150 wrote:
I did remove it just to check that very thing. It was completely drained and nothing came out the drain hole.

Some OEM's install a Check valve on the cold intake of the WH. If so, then your method will not drain the WH tank. So, if someone wants to use your method, they need to then remove the Anode or lower drain(Atwood/Dometic) and see if water comes out. If it does, your method will not work. If no water, then use your method. Doug

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the water came from a municipal water supply, it contains chemicals necessary to prevent organism growth in the water. It is probably better to keep the tank full to minimize the amount of oxygen in the tank which can promote growth on the sidewalls. If it is filled with well water, or water of an unknown source, than drain it if you cannot fill it with water from a municipal source.
If you have municipal water available you can drain and fill it every few months if you are concerned about odors.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I did remove it just to check that very thing. It was completely drained and nothing came out the drain hole.
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
MitchF150 wrote:
The comparison to a home HWH is not really relevant.. Unless you let your home HWH sit for months without using it at all?? I know my folks drain their HWH before they Snowbird for 6 months..

Bet you use yours everyday.. 🙂

To let 6-10 gallons sit for months... I'd just drain it.. Couple of weeks, sure leave it alone..

I have a anode rod in my new trailers HWH... I don't want it just dissolving away for no reason because I don't want to drain 6 gallons of water..

I drain mine by opening the low point drains and then open the pressure relief valve and it all drains without any tools.

Whatever works for you is the way to go in the end..

Good luck! Mitch

Have you ever removed that anode rod after "draining" using the low point drains? I would be very surprised if you don't get a good bit of water out when you remove the rod.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
ezgoin wrote:
Hi everyone,

Is it necessary to drain the hot water tank when the MH is sitting for several months between trips? I live in the SW so freezing temps are not a problem.

Thanks,
Bill

Sunny AZ...
Freezing temps NOT an issue BUT HARD WATER IS

Drain the dang water heater...it takes but a few minutes

Simple...don't make things complicated
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
The comparison to a home HWH is not really relevant.. Unless you let your home HWH sit for months without using it at all?? I know my folks drain their HWH before they Snowbird for 6 months..

Bet you use yours everyday.. 🙂

To let 6-10 gallons sit for months... I'd just drain it.. Couple of weeks, sure leave it alone..

I have a anode rod in my new trailers HWH... I don't want it just dissolving away for no reason because I don't want to drain 6 gallons of water..

I drain mine by opening the low point drains and then open the pressure relief valve and it all drains without any tools.

Whatever works for you is the way to go in the end..

Good luck! Mitch

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Several months, yes. Drain it.

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
I Drain my water heater at least twice a year.
This is due to the hard water and calcium build up.we spend our winters out here in Arizona.
You wouldn't believe the white chunks that come out. We also have a soft water heater in use.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I flushed mine several times and used vinegar on it when I bought it. I use a three filter system on it and have only drained it twice in the last seven years and that was when I winterized it while up north.

As stated above, when was last time you drained your home water heater?

If you're winterizing it, once a year is more than enough,

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do know that Suburban states to drain the water heater when not going to be used for a while.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT