cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drive through parking radius swing dimensions

TexasTeaSip
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at a property that will mainly be parking for a Class A, with a small port style home attached. It is a triangle lot, so very limited on size options. We would like parking for a 40-45' Class A, and parking for one vehicle in addition. Home size isn't an issue, but probably will be a 1-2 bedroom, living room/kitchen combo room, and bathroom, small utility room. I am attaching a photo of the lot. With the easements, the footprint to build is 181' rail side, 85' left side, 141' foot street side. The 116' street side already accounts for 15' easement. The rail side includes the 5' set back, and the left side, accounts for a 10' easement. So I've already subtracted those easements, leaving the buildable footprint. We'd like to be able to drive in and park, and drive forward going out. Have I provided enough info? I am okay at designing homes....but knowing how much room is needed to pull in an RV, making the turns, is my unknown. This will probably end up as a rental, so the experience of the drivers will be an unknown. Thank you!

9 REPLIES 9

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
TexasTeaSip,

Welcome to the Forums!!!

I have to say I like trains as well, my Dad grew up near the tracks back in the steam engine days, and then worked in a freight house for a couple of years. But that property you're looking at is a bit closer than I'd like to be. 🙂

You didn't mention whether or not you'd be towing a car behind your motorhome or not. I was just going to add that the towed car will follow within the tracks of the motorhome, so if the motorhome makes it, the car will as well. Understand that backing up will probably not be an option, though, depending upon how the vehicle is being towed. But it is convenient to be able to hookup in the driveway and just drive away.

But if you're not going to tow the car or can connect it out in the street, then disregard the above paragraph. 🙂

Good Luck in your decision making process.

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

TexasTeaSip
Explorer
Explorer
It’s active. We are train people also. Three generations of train engineers in the family. And then both me and my husband grew up near a tracks as well, so train noise doesn’t bother us. That’s a good idea. I hadn’t taking about marketing it to that group. I was thinking that if the garage is in the back, I was going to make the roof a deck to watch the trains.

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sorry that I have no ideas on your quandry but I have an idea for advertising your rentals. If that rail line is an active on you have a built in audience with railfanning folks. If that is just a siding then nevermind.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Why don't you look at some parking lots, road intersections or other places in which you can practice turning around your motorhome. If you don't have a motorhome look at how much room it takes for school bus to turn around.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

TexasTeaSip
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Valhalla360. I will look at that and work some drawings. I appreciate the regarding tree and bush clearance vs paved surface.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Search for...bus turning template. (look for one of similar length and wheel base)

If you have cad, you can download electronic versions but you can also do scale drawings like in the old days.

Try to give yourself a bit of wiggle room beyond the wheel paths but Keep in mind the nose and tail swing don't need to be paved but do need to be clear of trees and bushes.

That said, it would be a lot cheaper and open up more space to just back into the lot.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

TexasTeaSip
Explorer
Explorer
THANK YOU! GottaRunGottaCamp!

GottaRunGottaCa
Explorer
Explorer
Try this posting pictures
it is under forum posting help & support in the right side of the blue bar
2016 F350
2019 Heartland Torque TQ-371

TexasTeaSip
Explorer
Explorer
My photo isn't showing up. I am going to have to go learn how to link my photo. I apologize for being a forum newbie.