cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driver’s license for DPs

kohana
Explorer
Explorer
So, I want to switch from 5th wheel to a DP but I’m confused about the CDL requirements.
What do you all due ?
Thanks Bob
2006 Ram 2500 Cummins, 6 sp manual, pacbrake
2011 Montana Mountaineer 335RET, Mor/ryde PB
Trailersaver BD3 hitch--Smooth ridin'
26 REPLIES 26

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
kohana wrote:
I saw that but the only info I’ve found involved 2-4weeks of school. I’m thinking you guys aren’t doing that so what am I missing. Tax is a good example.

Well you need to check with your state DMV about licensing requirements. We live in Oregon and there is no special requirements.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
ArchHoagland wrote:
What state do you live in?

Yup, without that information, you will get quite a lot of good advice that applies to OTHER states, but may not apply to where you are licensed.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Laws vary from state to state. Some states reaquire special endorsements for any vechicle that has air brakes.. Or any vehicle that's over xxxxx pounds or so many feet long or or or or or or

Some don't.

However one thing that is common to all states.. If your license allows you to drive it in your home state... You are good in whatever state. And a good part of Canada as well (not sure about all of Canada)

So you are going to have to research your state.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
Campinghoss@51 wrote:
In NC anything over 26001 lbs required a B CDL. All I did was download the handbook for CDL and studied it one night. Then took the written test. I also had to drive my dp with the examiner with me. Piece of cake.
Since switching back to a fiver I plan to keep the B license now that I have it.

Actually, NC doesn't require a CDL for private use of a motorhome, they require the regular license for the appropriate CLASS of vehicle, which for most DP's is a CLASS B. So what you have is a Non-commercial Class B license.

What people don't seem to grasp is that the CLASS of a license has nothing to do with it being commercial or not - it is simply a designation for the type of vehicle you are allowed to operate.

A "CDL" just means it's a Commercial Driver's License. It also needs a CLASS qualification. The most common is the Commercial Class A, and this is what people think of when they hear "CDL", but I know people that have a Commercial Class B license. They can drive a vehicle over 26,000 lbs but the trailer is limited to 10,000 lbs.

Many states, but not all, are the same way.

I doubt there are many RV'rs that actually have a Commercial license, except those that drive for a living...
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I live in Mo. Last November, when time to re-new, I asked about driving a MH if did not keep CDL. Now I have just normal state DL

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
In NC anything over 26001 lbs required a B CDL. All I did was download the handbook for CDL and studied it one night. Then took the written test. I also had to drive my dp with the examiner with me. Piece of cake.
Since switching back to a fiver I plan to keep the B license now that I have it.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
What state do you live in?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
None, in my state.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
School for a commercial drivers license. Not for a personal use RV. What is your state of residence?

kohana
Explorer
Explorer
I saw that but the only info I’ve found involved 2-4weeks of school. I’m thinking you guys aren’t doing that so what am I missing. Tax is a good example.
2006 Ram 2500 Cummins, 6 sp manual, pacbrake
2011 Montana Mountaineer 335RET, Mor/ryde PB
Trailersaver BD3 hitch--Smooth ridin'

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Not likely you will need a CDL. But most likely you will need a higher level non CDL license than a standard license. Requirements differ by state. Example is Texas that you need a class A or class B non CDL license for any thing with a GVWR of over 26,001 lbs.

Google drivers license for your state.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check the DVM requirements for your home state for license requirements. DLs are recopical in all other states.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob