cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driver’s license for DPs

kohana
Explorer
Explorer
So, I want to switch from 5th wheel to a DP but I’m confused about the CDL requirements.
What do you all due ?
Thanks Bob
2006 Ram 2500 Cummins, 6 sp manual, pacbrake
2011 Montana Mountaineer 335RET, Mor/ryde PB
Trailersaver BD3 hitch--Smooth ridin'
26 REPLIES 26

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
NC General Statute 20-37.16. (e) The requirements for a commercial drivers license do not apply to vehicles used for
personal use such as recreational vehicles.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Campinghoss@51 wrote:
In NC anything over 26001 lbs required a B CDL. All I did was download the handbook for CDL and studied it one night. Then took the written test. I also had to drive my dp with the examiner with me. Piece of cake.
Since switching back to a fiver I plan to keep the B license now that I have it.

Not if it is a non-commercial motorhome. Check with DMV or NC General statutes.

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
Here in California DP have less license requirements than FW or TT. Basic class C for any motorhome under 40'. Non commercial class B 40' to 45'.

Courts are filled with unlicensed and operators with the wrong endorsements. Heck just drive down the highway and see all the billboards for accident attorneys. In most cases the offender never even goes to court. Attorneys and insurance hash it out and the offender goes on about his day. Most likely without getting the license or insurance.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
JaxDad wrote:
BobGed wrote:
IMHO it's not law enforcement you need to be worried about, however it is the ambulance chasing attorneys if you're ever involved in an accident, at fault or not.

*DING DING DING*

Driving illegally would be fantasy level stuff for a lawyer.
Absolutely agree! We don't expect the unexpected. But should one have a injury accident and not have the required license - well I wouldn't want to be explaining that to a judge.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
BobGed wrote:
IMHO it's not law enforcement you need to be worried about, however it is the ambulance chasing attorneys if you're ever involved in an accident, at fault or not.

*DING DING DING*

Driving illegally would be fantasy level stuff for a lawyer.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
the 1 issue I can think of that has not been mentioned is " Air Brake" Endorsement..

I BELIEVE that one MAY need an air brace endorsement if the MOHO has air brakes?

I am not 100% sure as I have been carrying my CDL A-/ air brake endorsement for 35+ years

Actually it was mentioned several times.

the 1 issue I can think of that has not been mentioned is " Air Brake" Endorsement..

I BELIEVE that one MAY need an air brace endorsement if the MOHO has air brakes?

I am not 100% sure as I have been carrying my CDL A-/ air brake endorsement for 35+ years
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

FRFrank
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever license classification is required should come with a super strict physical examination and vision test for seniors.

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
willald wrote:
Yes, every state is different. I know in NC, anything over 26,001 lbs GCWR, you are technically supposed to have a non-CDL class B.

However, I have learned over the years that not many people that own DPs actually go and get that B license, and most law enforcement officers either do not know about this license requirement, or do not care.

I have a friend I have known for almost 20 years in the RV sales business. A few years ago, I asked him about this issue with licensing, and larger Motorhomes. He and his dealership sells tons of DPs, and have for many years.

He told me that although they are required by law to inform customers buying DPs of the license rules (and they do)...None of his customers ever have got the upgraded license. Nor have any ever had a problem, that he knows of.

Furthermore, he told me how he and other sales reps he works with drive the big DPs all over the state to various RV shows his dealership is in. None of the sales reps have a B license. And, yes, he has been stopped a couple of times, and law enforcement officers always either don't know or don't care about this issue, as nobody has been cited for it that he knows of.

At any rate, I am not advocating anybody ignore the law about this. Just wanted to point out that in some cases, laws like this are not enforced or noticed much.

This is actually one of the reasons I prefer gasser Motorhomes that stay under that 26k limit. I would definitely not want to have to get a special license to drive our RV (even if the law doesn't enforce such).

2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, every state is different. I know in NC, anything over 26,001 lbs GCWR, you are technically supposed to have a non-CDL class B.

However, I have learned over the years that not many people that own DPs actually go and get that B license, and most law enforcement officers either do not know about this license requirement, or do not care.

I have a friend I have known for almost 20 years in the RV sales business. A few years ago, I asked him about this issue with licensing, and larger Motorhomes. He and his dealership sells tons of DPs, and have for many years.

He told me that although they are required by law to inform customers buying DPs of the license rules (and they do)...None of his customers ever have got the upgraded license. Nor have any ever had a problem, that he knows of.

Furthermore, he told me how he and other sales reps he works with drive the big DPs all over the state to various RV shows his dealership is in. None of the sales reps have a B license. And, yes, he has been stopped a couple of times, and law enforcement officers always either don't know or don't care about this issue, as nobody has been cited for it that he knows of.

At any rate, I am not advocating anybody ignore the law about this. Just wanted to point out that in some cases, laws like this are not enforced or noticed much.

This is actually one of the reasons I prefer gasser Motorhomes that stay under that 26k limit. I would definitely not want to have to get a special license to drive our RV (even if the law doesn't enforce such).
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
Laws vary from state to state. Some states reaquire special endorsements for any vechicle that has air brakes.. Or any vehicle that's over xxxxx pounds or so many feet long or or or or or or

Some don't.

However one thing that is common to all states.. If your license allows you to drive it in your home state... You are good in whatever state. And a good part of Canada as well (not sure about all of Canada)

So you are going to have to research your state.

That is sound advice, reciprocity covers your drivers license, but not endorsements or other required permission.

In numerous jurisdictions (including here in Ontario) the equipment regulations require that an air brake system be inspected (visual and function) on every day the vehicle is in motion by a ‘certified technician’, the air brake endorsement is that certification.

While it’s rarely enforced, usually only in spot checks or following an incident, it’s a potentially expensive lesson if you don’t have it.

Another misunderstood point with ‘equipment regulations’ that comes up with DP’s is overall length. If you pull a trailer and live in a State where 65’ is the legal maximum, say in Florida, you might have a problem when you cross into Georgia where it’s only 60’ maximum.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
rdhetrick wrote:

Actually, NC doesn't require a CDL for private use of a motorhome, they require the regular license for the appropriate CLASS of vehicle, which for most DP's is a CLASS B. So what you have is a Non-commercial Class B license.

What people don't seem to grasp is that the CLASS of a license has nothing to do with it being commercial or not - it is simply a designation for the type of vehicle you are allowed to operate.

A "CDL" just means it's a Commercial Driver's License. It also needs a CLASS qualification. The most common is the Commercial Class A, and this is what people think of when they hear "CDL", but I know people that have a Commercial Class B license. They can drive a vehicle over 26,000 lbs but the trailer is limited to 10,000 lbs.

Many states, but not all, are the same way.

I doubt there are many RV'rs that actually have a Commercial license, except those that drive for a living...

Excellent post regarding CDL information. I do have a CDL since I used to drive truck.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
LouLawrence wrote:
FL requires nothing! TX requires a Class B certification for all RV's over 26,000#. ………..

Unless you are towing something with a GVWR over 10,000 lbs, then Texas requires a class A non CDL license. That would be the case of most all trucks towing large 5th wheels and motor homes towing larger utility trailers or even a larger pickup. A MH towing something under 10,000 lbs GVWR can get by with a class B license.

And that is “weight rating”, not actual weight.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
FL requires nothing! TX requires a Class B certification for all RV's over 26,000#. Training book is something like the last 10 pages of the CDL training manual. It's really stupid and worthless information. This is followed by a driving test at the local DMV.
Other State's requirement WILL vary.